957 users online (187 members and 770 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cambodia - Dave Walker, 58, Siem Reap, 14 Feb 2014

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle16965825/
    bbm

"After trying to contact Mr. Walker last Friday evening, Mr. Chhoun said staff at the guest house told him his friend had not returned to his room.

“[At this point] I’m getting worried about him,” said Mr. Chhoun. “I know one thing in my mind, that this is very unnatural behaviour of the Dave I know.”

He noted Mr. Walker does not drink or go out to party, but instead keeps to a standard routine, starting with breakfast at a local restaurant before returning to his hotel to work.

Mr. Chhoun and Mr. Walker are the founders of Animist Farm Films, a production company trying to revive Cambodian cinema. They’ve been working on a feature film about a man who saved more than a hundred families from the brutal Khmer Rouge.

He has been searching for his partner for days, combing nearby lakes and temples where Mr. Walker frequently goes walking.

“It’s very frustrating. Most frustrating is when you have no lead. None whatsoever,” Mr. Chhoun said.

Mr. Walker worked for the U.S. ABC News as a freelance producer in Southeast Asia from 1995 to 2009, and co-authored an investigative non-fiction, Hello My Big Big Honey, on Thai bar girls and their Western boyfriends, before returning to Canada in 2009 to study a Masters of Arts at Toronto’s York University for two years".
    Last edited by dotr; 02-19-2014 at 05:49 PM.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sear...odia-1.2543582

"A search is underway for Dave Walker, a 58-year-old Edmonton journalist and filmmaker who's been missing in Cambodia since Friday, Feb. 14.

According to an article in the Phnom Penh Post, Walker vanished after leaving his room at an upscale hotel in the Siem Reap province in order to let a housekeeper clean it. He was carrying only a water bottle, leaving behind his cellphone, laptop, passport and belongings.

Walker had been living in Siem Reap for four months and was well known in the neighbourhood, according to colleague Peter Vronsky, who's been co-ordinating search efforts out of Toronto.

"It's very unusual, even for Cambodia, for someone to vanish in that way," he said.

When Vronsky learned of his friend's disappearance, he notified members of Walker's family in Edmonton, who set up a Facebook group called Help Find Dave Walker to try to locate him.

Vronsky said he is worried about key pieces of evidence friend and family have been unable to get access to, which could point searchers in the right direction.

"The biggest thing we’re trying to figure out is what happened to Dave’s laptop and cellphone," he said. "We’re not sure where they are.”

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news...g-in-cambodia/

"Walker's abrupt disappearance had his friends and family fearing the worst.

"This is very unusual," said Peter Vronsky, who last heard from Walker on Thursday. "No one has seen him on the streets."

Vronsky said missing person posters were being distributed in Siem Reap in the hopes that someone would come forward with information on Walker.

Friends and family are also hoping Canadian officials will urge Cambodian authorities to actively search for the man.

"We're concerned this not being made a priority," said Vronsky".

Dave Walker's early work..

The Augmented Cambodian Part 1 of 3 - YouTube

" Uploaded on Dec 15, 2009

The Augmented Cambodian was a project that utilized several concepts taught in the Future Cinema 2 course at York University, Toronto. The objective was to explore the feasibility of using developing Augmented Reality technology to tell a visually compelling, human story, where the Viewer would experience the story, rather than watch it as a passive observer.

I chose the story of Salao Mao, a Cambodian artist who was arrested by the Khmer Rouge, taken to the jungle by three soldiers to be executed, but bargained his way out by agreeing to teach them art. Salao was kept alive in the jungle for 3 years, but his unplanned immersion into nature would inspire the way he looked at art, forever.

In this augmented reality project, the jungle becomes a stage where the artist's animist journey into the natural environment of the Cambodian jungle is simulated with a tracker and headgear. Unlike a total virtual reality experience, the Viewer is still partially grounded in the physical world.
    It remains to be seen if this new storytelling technique will become popular, but with the right content, the possibilities are endless.

Dave Walker
    co-author, Hello My Big Big Honey"

Hello My Big Big Honey - YouTube
    Last edited by KateB; 04-29-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

bbm
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/02...s-friend-says/

"The 58-year-old had co-founded a film company in Cambodia but his friend Peter Vronsky said he wondered whether Mr. Walker had been “silenced” by someone who felt threatened by his efforts to trace former Khmer Rouge.

It’s possible that he scared some guy

During the 1970s, the Khmer Rouge waged a genocide in Cambodia, killing more than a million people as it tried to impose hardline communist ideology in the country. Several Khmers have gone on trial in recent years.

Mr. Vronsky said Mr. Walker had a long interest in tracing what had happened to the various Khmer officials. Among his projects was a screenplay titled The Man From Year Zero, about former Khmer Rouge war criminals living in exile in North America.

“It’s possible that he scared some guy,” Mr. Vronsky said. “They’re now hauling these guys into court who, for 20 years, have been walking free and giving press interviews. And suddenly now there’s a whole series of trials taking place".

Some have wondered if DW's disappearance might be linked to his work concerning the Khmer Rouge, however the one comment following this article might suggest that " Bangkok bar girls" played a role.....imo.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2014/02/19/c...rance-unusual/

"Walker grew up in Edmonton but last lived in Toronto, where he studied for a Masters degree at York University in 2009. His family said he has lived and worked in Southeast Asia on and off for years.

He also co-authored a non-fiction book, called “Hello My Big Big Honey,” which chronicles the experiences of Bangkok bar girls and their Western admirers."
    Last edited by dotr; 02-20-2014 at 10:28 AM.

On the other hand ... from this article dated July 21 2013.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...f-Pol-Pot.html
    bbm

" Many people here are actively protective of those who played leading roles in the genocide. When The Sunday Telegraph arrived in the village of Ta Saine in search of Meas Muth, another of the four senior cadres the tribunal would like charged, residents tipped him off about our arrival, allowing him to flee.

As the navy commander in southern Cambodia, the 73-year-old was in charge of the division that captured John Dawson Dewhirst, the only Briton to be killed by the Khmer Rouge. After the yacht he was on drifted mistakenly into Cambodian waters in 1978, Mr Dewhirst was sent to S-21, tortured into confessing that he was a CIA agent and then beaten to death.

At Mr Meas's imposing three-storey home, surrounded by fields only recently cleared of landmines, his servants said he was in Phnom Penh. Other people gave differing locations. Only when reached by phone did Mr Meas admit he was hiding in the village. "I am here, but I won't meet you," he said. "I want to be left alone."

Pursuing men like Meas Muth and Ta An is regarded as a witch hunt by many former Khmer Rouge. "Lots of people did bad things during that time," said a former bodyguard to Pol Pot now living in Pailin, who asked not to be identified by name".

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sear...odia-1.2543582

"A search is underway for Dave Walker, a 58-year-old Edmonton journalist and filmmaker who's been missing in Cambodia since Friday, Feb. 14.

According to an article in the Phnom Penh Post, Walker vanished after leaving his room at an upscale hotel in the Siem Reap province in order to let a housekeeper clean it. He was carrying only a water bottle, leaving behind his cellphone, laptop, passport and belongings.

Walker had been living in Siem Reap for four months and was well known in the neighbourhood, according to colleague Peter Vronsky, who's been co-ordinating search efforts out of Toronto.

"It's very unusual, even for Cambodia, for someone to vanish in that way," he said.

When Vronsky learned of his friend's disappearance, he notified members of Walker's family in Edmonton, who set up a Facebook group called Help Find Dave Walker to try to locate him.

Vronsky said he is worried about key pieces of evidence friend and family have been unable to get access to, which could point searchers in the right direction.

"The biggest thing we’re trying to figure out is what happened to Dave’s laptop and cellphone," he said. "We’re not sure where they are.”
    So his partner, Chhoun, saw his cell phone and laptop in his room, but now no one knows where they are. This isn't sounding good at all.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/dave...odia-1.2543582
    He was supposed to meet with his business partner, Sonny Chhoun, on the day he disappeared but when Chhoun stopped by his room he saw Walker's cellphone in its charger, his laptop in hibernation mode and all his belongings, but he could not find his friend.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/21...ng-in-cambodia

"Another friend in Toronto said he exchanged jokes with Walker on Facebook the day before he vanished.

“As far as I know he was OK,” recalled Peter Vronsky, a professor at Ryerson University.

He said Walker was apparently suppose to meet with Chhoun on Feb. 14 and when he failed to show, his partner went to his hotel to check on him.

Chhoun, who has spoken to local media, reportedly said hotel staff told him Walker was last seen strolling down the street with a bottle of water in his hand.

Those who know Walker can only speculate on what may have happened.

“At first I thought maybe somebody ran him down and drove off leaving him in a ditch,” Vronsky said, adding he has also worried Walker was the victim of a robbery gone bad.

He and others have also wondered if the disappearance is tied to the new film Walker was working on, The Poorest Man.

Vronsky said the movie is about the brutal Khmer Rouge, the communist regime that ruled Cambodia in the 1970s torturing, overworking and starving millions of citizens to death"

"Published on Jun 16, 2013

This "economical" film teaser is for our upcoming Cambodian feature film, The Poorest Man. This movie explores the true story of Van Chhuon, a former Khmer Rouge village chief, credited with saving the lives of over 100 families during the worst years of the Pol Pot regime.

Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ThePoorestMan
    The Poorest Man - YouTube
    Last edited by KateB; 04-29-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

if you go to his friend Peter's FB, who is quoted in some of the articles, Dave posted a comment on Feb. 7 under Peter's FB movie that is eerie in the context of him missing now

(btw, off-topic but another irony is that Peter is actually a true crime author)

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    if you go to his friend Peter's FB, who is quoted in some of the articles, Dave posted a comment on Feb. 7 under Peter's FB movie that is eerie in the context of him missing now

(btw, off-topic but another irony is that Peter is actually a true crime author)
    I'm not on FB. Can you post the comment here, or is that against TOS? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post

Gave me goosebumps.

Wow, I'm shocked and saddened at this story.

I've just returned from spending a month in Cambodia. We initially planned to spend just four days in Siem Reap but ended up staying for two weeks. Absolutely loved the place and the atmosphere and there's no doubt in my mind that I'll return to the country.

The whole history though is extremely sad and brutal. It was only for four years in the late 1970's that the Khymer Rouge were in power, but one in four people died during the regime and Cambodia is now a country with one of the youngest populations on earth. I only saw a handful of people with grey hair the whole time we were there.

Visiting S21 and the Killing Fields in Pnomh Penh was absolutely harrowing and I still feel sick to the stomach and tearful thinking about what I saw there. Brutal. And that was just one camp, just one killing field. I can see if someone involved with that was threatened there could be a problem.

On the other hand, maybe he fell ill on his walk and went to one of the hospitals? Bear in mind they are not like hospitals we have in the UK. My husband had to go and is was chaotic. Maybe the message has not got across.

Siem Reap is extremely busy and full of tourists. He'd have had to go some distance to end up in the middle of nowhere. There is a river going through the middle of town, but overlooked on both sides and people everywhere.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast