GUILTY TX - Bimal Patel, 29, burned alive, Austin, 17 April 2012

:seeya: Officer Cory Knop has been busy the last couple weeks, testifying in two capital murder trials (Brandon Daniel last week).

a9tw88.png

Court now in a lunch break, judge tells the parties to return about 1:45pm CST (2:45pm EST, 12:45pm MST, 11:45am PST)

Officer Knopp has earned a nice vacation, IMO.

From the article Tiger linked-

"Defense attorneys say Patel did nothing wrong and that her husband forced her to help him commit suicide. They argue he was under pressure and money was tight so much so he couldn't pay his bills."

Yeah, because everyone who wants to commit suicide picks the most HORRIBLY PAINFUL way to do it! :eek:
Burns over 99 percent of his body.
Sometimes I wish for the days when the punishment fit the crime (burn her).

Read more: http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/24...-who-set-husband-on-fire-begins#ixzz2vCv7ty7v

Jurors hear from first responders who found Bimal Patel severely burned, screaming

5 p.m. update: On the stand Wednesday, emergency responders said that when they arrived to the North Austin apartment of Shriya and Bimal Patel on April 17, 2012, they found Bimal Patel severely burned and screaming, “Why would she do this?”

Bimal Patel, 29, was rushed to North Austin Medical Center, where he was put on a breathing tube and another emergency physician heard him ask: “Why would she do this to me? Why would anyone do this to me?”

The testimony came on the second day of a capital murder trial for Shriya Patel, who prosecutors say splashed her husband with gasoline and lit him on fire. If convicted, she faces life in prison without parole.

Read more here: http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crime-law/witness-in-capital-murder-trial-shriya-patel-marri/nd6Mz/

"Prosecutors held up a long blue scarf with a big piece missing as if it had been cut from the fabric. They say the scarf matches pieces collected from the sprinklers and smoke detectors. A receipt from Wal-Mart shows nylon rope, masking tape, a lighter two candlesticks were purchased a little more than an hour before the incident occurred."

Read more: http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/24...-who-set-husband-on-fire-begins#ixzz2vCvy2HxM

OK, on general principal I refuse to shop at WalMart as it is, but I am starting to suspect it is considered the "Murderers Warehouse".
Do they ALL shop there?!?

Shannon Murray ‏@ShannonM_KVUE 26m
#PatelTrial is on lunch break until 1:45.

Shannon Murray ‏@ShannonM_KVUE 32m
APD Officer Cory Knop is testifying now. If he sounds familiar it's because he also testified in the Brandon Daniel trial last week.

Shannon Murray ‏@ShannonM_KVUE 34m
In response to defense attorneys, officer admits some things didn't add up at the crime scene. #PatelTrial

Follow Shriya Patel's capital murder trial live via Twitter

Shriya Patel, 27, who has been incarcerated on $1 million bail since her arrest nearly two years ago, stands charged with capital murder, arson with intent to cause bodily injury or death and aggravated asssault. She faces a sentence of automatic life in prison without parole if convicted of capital murder.

To read about Wednesday's testimony, click here.
For the full story on the capital murder trial of Shriya Patel, click here.

For background on the allegations against Shriya Patel, click here.

Staff writer Jazmine Ulloa is in the courtroom and will provide live updates via Twitter below.

http://www.mystatesman.com/weblogs/the-blotter/2014/mar/06/follow-shriya-patels-capital-murder-trial-live-twi/

Aren't they supposed to be back by now?

WAT stream is not up (for me).

:giggle: I am such a dum***

Been making sure on Devault thread to specify time zones, and here I am thinking 1:45 MY time (ET) on this one....

Ahhh, I needed to laugh tho, so all good :)

I didn't quite catch what they said they needed an expert for? I know they said something about some evidence that was received before Voir dire that the PT got. Is this what it is about?

:dunno: Not sure, I missed it as well.

OK Tiger, fill us (me!) in.
I got the stream up and it is live on an empty courtroom :scared:

TIA!

ETA- OK just saw your post, lol.

I have been watching this trial since Tuesday and it is the most unorganized trial I have ever seen. Full of side bars and sending the jury out. Defence complaining about evidence.

I won't be surprised if the judge gives the defense a continuance.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back