1436 users online (306 members and 1130 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    About 10 miles outside of Philadelphia, PA

PA - Jonathan 'Jonnie' Moyer, 17, Brownstown, 19 March 2003

Philadelphia Inquirer | 05/22/2005 | Of trust, tryst and betrayal

Having spent his drift-along life in this Lancaster County (PA) village, Jonnie Moyer was hard to miss.

Six feet tall, with tangled blond braids and a happy-go-lucky grin, the 17-year-old dropout was a fixture on the quiet streets, playing Hacky Sack and smoking cigarettes outside the Turkey Hill store. When he was on the outs with his father, as he usually was, he slept by the Conestoga Creek or on the roof of the Methodist church.

In March 2003, Moyer vanished, and without a word.

Soon after, a revolting stench began wafting from the Main Street bungalow shared by two of his best friends, Felina Billetdeaux and Steva Hagelgans.

Neither development went unnoted in Brownstown, a square-mile speck of quaint homes, 900 residents, a traffic light, a diner and a rumor mill. Some people mentioned Moyer's disappearance to police. Some complained about the smell. Some suspected a connection.

Yet no missing-person report was filed, not even by his family. No investigation was launched. For two years, no one tried to find Jonnie Moyer...

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

wow, this story sounds unbelievable!! I want to read the link you posted but I don't want to subscribe... is there another place to read this story?

Thanks.
    Poor Jonnie

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    wow, this story sounds unbelievable!! I want to read the link you posted but I don't want to subscribe... is there another place to read this story?

Thanks.
    Poor Jonnie
    Go to bugmenot.com, and copy and paste the URL of the newspaper page into the box. When you click submit, it will give you a username and a password to use to be able to read the article.

Mahatma Gandhi

I read this in the newspaper yesterday. How sad! His own family didn't even care that they hadn't heard from him in two years. Those girls were pretty damn sick to leave his body in their closet for 6 weeks.
    Just my opinion of course!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael
    I read this in the newspaper yesterday. How sad! His own family didn't even care that they hadn't heard from him in two years. Those girls were pretty damn sick to leave his body in their closet for 6 weeks.
    The whole thing is one of the most bizarre things I've heard in a very long time. And what's really tragic is that now that this story has broken, there is STILL virtually no news about it on the Internet! The poor kid seems like he had a terrible life, and no one paid him any positive attention. Now even in death, it seems that nobody thinks about him.

P.S. I posted this today after reading it in yesterday's Philadelphia Inquirer.

Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl
    Go to bugmenot.com, and copy and paste the URL of the newspaper page into the box. When you click submit, it will give you a username and a password to use to be able to read the article.
    THAT url is awesome. bugmenot.com. Thanks a ton.
    I'm off to read...

One visit by the police chief might have ended the two year mystery. One visit that showed concern for a boy he was familiar with and was being asked about. One visit from his busy day that starts with breakfast in a diner. I hope the good folks of this town see their chief through the eyes of Jonnie.

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    THAT url is awesome. bugmenot.com. Thanks a ton.
    I'm off to read...
    You're welcome but I actually learned about it from Jeana. In any case, it's worked with every site I've tried, (dozens & dozens), with the exception of one. And when that happens, they give you the option to create one for the site.

Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by 1986
    One visit by the police chief might have ended the two year mystery. One visit that showed concern for a boy he was familiar with and was being asked about. One visit from his busy day that starts with breakfast in a diner. I hope the good folks of this town see their chief through the eyes of Jonnie.
    Very well put. I couldn't agree more.

Mahatma Gandhi

The whole thing is one of the most bizarre things I've heard in a very long time. And what's really tragic is that now that this story has broken, there is STILL virtually no news about it on the Internet! The poor kid seems like he had a terrible life, and no one paid him any positive attention. Now even in death, it seems that nobody thinks about him.

That story is terrible! How could that girl do such a horrible thing?? Wow, what a messed up bunch of people. And very sad that no one cared enough to really look for Jonnie.

I know it is very sad. The story in the Inquirer said his mother lived in a different town and his father basically kicked him out of the house. He had to sleep outside at times even on the roof of the local church. I guess they are not going to charge the one girl (the mother of his child) with anything even though she helped dispose of his body.
    Just my opinion of course!!

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Philadelphia Inquirer | 05/22/2005 | Of trust, tryst and betrayal

Having spent his drift-along life in this Lancaster County (PA) village, Jonnie Moyer was hard to miss.

Six feet tall, with tangled blond braids and a happy-go-lucky grin, the 17-year-old dropout was a fixture on the quiet streets, playing Hacky Sack and smoking cigarettes outside the Turkey Hill store. When he was on the outs with his father, as he usually was, he slept by the Conestoga Creek or on the roof of the Methodist church.

In March 2003, Moyer vanished, and without a word.

Soon after, a revolting stench began wafting from the Main Street bungalow shared by two of his best friends, Felina Billetdeaux and Steva Hagelgans.

Neither development went unnoted in Brownstown, a square-mile speck of quaint homes, 900 residents, a traffic light, a diner and a rumor mill. Some people mentioned Moyer's disappearance to police. Some complained about the smell. Some suspected a connection.

Yet no missing-person report was filed, not even by his family. No investigation was launched. For two years, no one tried to find Jonnie Moyer...
    This is so sad.

His father kicked him out at 17 yrs old. That guy needs to be charged with neglect and contributing to his death. Of course he probably won't. Seems no one in that town cared.

God help the motherless child. There is no help in this world, for a child without a mother. And his mother left him.

And then secondarily, sounds like he kept fleeing his father and stepmother's house. He was like a beach bum kind of guy, a free spirit.

Had that sicko woman not beaten him to death with baseball bat, he'd probably be running a surf shop or a hot dog cart somewhere now.
    Last edited by KatherineQ; 05-24-2005 at 07:56 AM.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 1986
    His father kicked him out at 17 yrs old. That guy needs to be charged with neglect and contributing to his death. Of course he probably won't. Seems no one in that town cared.
    Exactly! How can someone NOT love their child? It is beyond me to understand. No matter what my kids have done or how angry I have been at them, that love never left my heart for a second since their birth. Before their birth. I used to read to them before they were even born. I just don't get it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast