Identified! GA - Banks Co., Male skeletal remains near creek, Feb'14 - Terry Holbrooks

Backwoods

Reaction score
I've never been certain whether it is appropriate to post in this thread about a recently-found UID that is not showing up in public databases yet (guidance will be appreciated), though I have done it a few times.

This one, I felt might be good to post, since apparently some items that could possibly ring a bell with someone were found near the skeletal remains. (Picture of watch and engraved lighter at first link.)

Human remains in Banks Crossing belong to adult male, identity still a mystery

http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=272070

Skeletal remains found in Banks County belong to man

http://onlineathens.com/breaking-news/2014-03-06/skeletal-remains-found-banks-county-belong-man

It's hard to tell but it looks like a Zippo lighter.

I found a person named Martin Chance missing from Michigan since 2004. It looks like he disappeared with his wallet, keys and cell but left his truck at home and his home unlocked.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4347/7/

At the link, I noticed, it even notes that his nickname is "Marty", as on the lighter. (I also note that there is no DNA sample for Martin Chance, unfortunately.) Michigan is far from Georgia -- but who knows?

This MP's last name is Martin and his profile states he was thinking of returning to GA:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/martin_brian.html

Yes, this man is an interesting possibility, too.

From the newer article I'm linking below, it really does sound as if investigators truly want the public's help, even at this early stage -- sounds as if they really do not feel they have much to go on. Maybe you two should pass along the possibilities you found.

GBI Asks for Help in Identifying Remains Found in Banks Crossing

Agents with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Banks County Sheriff’s office are asking for the public’s help to identify remains found behind a motel in the Banks Crossing area last month. ...

...“Right now, it’s preliminarily an adult male, but that’s not a guarantee. It just gives us a good starting point,” Maddox said Thursday. “It’s difficult to identify somebody when it’s been this long and the climate and the environment have had an opportunity to deteriorate the remains. It just makes it very difficult.” ...

...During their search in and around the creek and wooded area, Maddox said investigators found several items, including a gold Timex watch and a gold cigarette lighter with the name, “Marty” inscribed on it, as well as some other items.

“There was another cigarette lighter, but it was not unique in any way, it was just a standard Bic lighter,” he said. “We also found a couple of pocket knives, but they were badly deteriorated and there was nothing that would make them unique as well.”

Investigators, he said, also found what they believe is material belonging to a pair of pants or shorts...

...a search of a number of missing person’s databases did not provide any immediate leads as to the unknown person’s identity.

Because only a partial skeleton was found, authorities are having a difficult time identifying the victim and need the public’s help.

“We dont’ have the conventional methods that we typically use in this type of case. They’re kind of out the window,” he said. ...

...Anyone with information on who this person might be or who recognizes any of the items is asked to contact the GBI at 706-552-2309 or the Banks County Sheriff’s office at 706-677-1815 or your local 911.

You do not have to give your name.
more at: http://www.921wlhr.com/gbi-asks-for-help-in-identifying-remains-found-in-banks-crossing/

It does sound from the article as if they are starting the process of trying to obtain DNA from the remains.

I notice it says DNA is now available, too. So maybe we can find him.

Did anybody ever submit Martin Chance or Brian Martin?

I've never been certain whether it is appropriate to post in this thread about a recently-found UID that is not showing up in public databases yet (guidance will be appreciated), though I have done it a few times.
This one, I felt might be good to post, since apparently some items that could possibly ring a bell with someone were found near the skeletal remains. (Picture of watch and engraved lighter at first link.)

http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=272070

http://onlineathens.com/breaking-news/2014-03-06/skeletal-remains-found-banks-county-belong-man

Keep in mind, that while most people have something that is a personal item to them, engraved items may not always be the identity to the owner, but perhaps something that was personal to a significant person in their lives, i.e; a brother, a father, a lover, a friend, or even something simply found by the victims at some point in their life that they just inevitably keep........Terry L. Holbrooks' story certainly shows this, as the lighter that was found with his remains, certainly show his name was NOT "Marty", as the engraved lighter showed. I myself carry my mother's necklace with her name and my father-in-law's badge with his...neither are my name.......

SKELETAL REMAINS WERE INDEED IDENTIFIED:

HOMER - Authorities now know the identity of the skeletal remains found behind a hotel at Banks Crossing in early 2014.
Sgt. Carissa McFaddin of the Banks County Sheriff's Office provided that information Tuesday.
McFaddin said the remains were positively identified as Terry Lee Holbrooks of Fairplay/Westminster, S.C.
The death remains under investigation by the GBI and Banks County Sheriff's Office.
The body was located in a wooded area near a creek behind the then-Dandelion Inn on Feb. 24, 2014
Hotel guests panning for gold in the creek behind the business located a human bone, triggering a two-day exhaustive search of the creek and surrounding area.
More remains and other items, including a man's digital watch and a cigarette lighter engraved with "Marty".
Preliminary information from GBI after the discovery indicated the death could have occurred as long ago as 2006.

Anyone with information about Holbrooks' death is asked to contact the Banks County Sheriff's Office at (706) 677-2248, or the GBI Tip Line at (800) 597-8477.

STORY WAS PUBLISHED JULY, 2015:
http://accesswdun.com/article/2015/...ns-found-at-banks-crossing-in-2014-identified

Deleted. I thought it was him, but it's not.

Keep in mind, that while most people have something that is a personal item to them, engraved items may not always be the identity to the owner, but perhaps something that was personal to a significant person in their lives, i.e; a brother, a father, a lover, a friend, or even something simply found by the victims at some point in their life that they just inevitably keep........Terry L. Holbrooks' story certainly shows this, as the lighter that was found with his remains, certainly show his name was NOT "Marty", as the engraved lighter showed. I myself carry my mother's necklace with her name and my father-in-law's badge with his...neither are my name.......

SKELETAL REMAINS WERE INDEED IDENTIFIED:

HOMER - Authorities now know the identity of the skeletal remains found behind a hotel at Banks Crossing in early 2014.
Sgt. Carissa McFaddin of the Banks County Sheriff's Office provided that information Tuesday.
McFaddin said the remains were positively identified as Terry Lee Holbrooks of Fairplay/Westminster, S.C.
The death remains under investigation by the GBI and Banks County Sheriff's Office.
The body was located in a wooded area near a creek behind the then-Dandelion Inn on Feb. 24, 2014
Hotel guests panning for gold in the creek behind the business located a human bone, triggering a two-day exhaustive search of the creek and surrounding area.
More remains and other items, including a man's digital watch and a cigarette lighter engraved with "Marty".
Preliminary information from GBI after the discovery indicated the death could have occurred as long ago as 2006.

Anyone with information about Holbrooks' death is asked to contact the Banks County Sheriff's Office at (706) 677-2248, or the GBI Tip Line at (800) 597-8477.

STORY WAS PUBLISHED JULY, 2015:
http://accesswdun.com/article/2015/...ns-found-at-banks-crossing-in-2014-identified

WELCOME!
Great first post!

Thanks for finding and posting this article that the remains have been positively identified. Apparently, he would have been missing as far back as 2006.

As you pointed out, sometimes articles found with remains do not necessarily help with the identification but hopefully they may be used to solve a crime.

The Anderson County Arrests log has some one listed with the same name, living in Westminster, S.C as being arrested Jan 23th 2007. I wonder if it's him, if so he couldn't have been missing since 2006? There is a few Terry Holbrooks in that area but he is the only one with the L middle name.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back