721 users online (75 members and 646 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

FL - Gail Joiner, 13, Thonotosassa, 22 Sept 1972

Ok,
    I was searching the internet on other missing persons
    and came across this:

"The case involving eleven-year-old Gail Joiner who has been missing since 1972, is an open case today. "

However, I can't find any information on her on the internet at all, except for that quote.

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/Sheriffs/25_M_Beard.htm
    5th paragraph down.

is this a missing person who's case has been forgotten??

thanks!

Old missing person cases...

I do not know about the specific case that you mention, but can say that there are a lot of missing person cases that for one reason or another have never made it on to the internet. Do some research on it, and if she is still missing, send your write-up to NCMEC and Doenetwork. Those sites have a set of criteria for what can be posted, but they do take case summaries that are offered to them.

I doubt that this little girl's case is "forgotten". Certainly not to family and loved ones. But it is possible that it never made it to the internet.

Searching...

I e-mailed the Hillsborough County Sherriff's Office asking for more info on the case, when I get something back I will post-I also invited any detectives familiar with the case to post

Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel
    I e-mailed the Hillsborough County Sherriff's Office asking for more info on the case, when I get something back I will post-I also invited any detectives familiar with the case to post
    Thank you!
    I was thinking of calling them and finding out as well.
    Please let us know when you find anything out.

HCSO's Response

I heard back from the Hillsbourough County SO, I was told that a person had confessed to murdering the young lady but the body has never been located. I was also told that the department's policy is to not release information on open cases to the general public, which I can fully understand, and I passed along some info on the web resources available if the dep't should ever like the assistance.

A case without a body?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel
    I heard back from the Hillsbourough County SO, I was told that a person had confessed to murdering the young lady but the body has never been located. I was also told that the department's policy is to not release information on open cases to the general public, which I can fully understand, and I passed along some info on the web resources available if the dep't should ever like the assistance.
    It would seem that the case against the confessed murderer might be a bit stronger if they had a body. I would also imagine that the family might want to know where her body is as well, so that she could be given a decent burial. It is odd that she is not included on the usual websites.

We discussed the "murderer" in another case here. Apparently the person had confessed to a number of murders, many of which he could not be connected to. I was quite surprised at the deputy's response myself.

I FINALLY found something on this girl.

On September 22nd, 1972, 13 year-old Gail Joiner returned to her Thonotosassa, FL home from school. After eating a sandwich, she took her pet raccoon for a walk, strolling barefoot down the road near her home.
    At least 11 people reported seeing the freckle-faced blonde speaking to someone in a white car near a wooded area. No one saw her get in the car. She has never been seen again. It was said she was extremely proud of her pet, named "Bandit". Someone showing an interest in the raccoon could have easily grabbed her.
    Hillsborough deputies went so far as to collect the carcasses of 17 raccoons in an attempt to find out where she may have disappeared. The family claimed they could easily identify the raccoon due to burn marks on its paws.

Question Gail Joiner is not forgotten

Gail was my best friend in Middle school. I had horrible nightmares when this hapened to her. In fact what happened to her decided how I was a a child as well as a parent. Anyone with information on Gail or her family please let me know. I know she had an older sister and would love to get in touch with her. This happened in 1972 and I have heard several different stories on how and why. So yes Gail is still thought of and loved! Thanks Tressa

Here's the whole article:

Sorry it's kind of hard to read towards the end. Does anyone know why she's not listed on NCMEC or Doe?

Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

Not on the list

Gail is on the Nation Missing Children list but not the internet one. I got very frustrated and called them. At first they did not want to tell me anyting but I was then told she was on the list. But they did not have her on the internet. I agree with her dad she would not have run away she loved her family. She was very close to her sister. Anyone having information on how I can reach her family let me know. Also I talked with a detective there today and was told her case is still open and the gilrs whose picture I found on line as a Jane Doe was not her. I will keep looking for old pics of my friend. Thanks for the article. Tressa

Gail Joiner, 13, Missing 22 September 1972 from Thonotosassa, Hilsborough Co. FL

This case is a perfect example of Law Enforcement holding on to vital information long after the reason for doing so has expired. It makes one wonder if the withholding of information or "classifying" it might be to cover up screw-ups in the investigation, rather than protecting sources or a hot investigation.

They haven't solved this one in almost 34 years. Does anyone believe that they are on the verge of solving it tomorrow - thus the necessity of with holding information like her photo, height, weight, eyecolor, birthdate, etc?

Since she is not in NCMEC or Doenetwork, here is what such a listing would look like. If anyone can fill in the blanks, add photos or links, please do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Gail Joiner
    Missing 22 September 1972 from Thonotosassa, Hilsborough Co. FL
    Classification: Endangered Missing, possible Non-Family abduction

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: 1968 or 1969
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: ______________

Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long Blonde hair. ________
    Marks, Scars: Freckled face.
    Clothing: ______________

Circumstances:

On September 22nd, 1972, 13 year-old Gail Joiner returned to her Thonotosassa, FL home from school. After eating a sandwich, she took her pet raccoon for a walk, strolling barefoot down the road near her home.
    At least 11 people reported seeing the freckle-faced blonde speaking to someone in a white car near a wooded area. No one saw her get in the car. She has never been seen again.

One of seven children, Gail is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Joiner. The Joiner family had recently moved to Florida from Romulus, Michigan.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Hilsborough County Sheriff Department. Phone: ___________________

Source Information:
    Websleuths

Link:
    http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...issingGirl.jpg

Richard, I had wondered if Gail was 11 or if she was 13. In the opening post of this thread it states that she is 11 years old.

Sketchy information.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow
    Richard, I had wondered if Gail was 11 or if she was 13. In the opening post of this thread it states that she is 11 years old.
    The opening thread posting contains a link to a biography of the man who was in the Hilsborough County Sheriff in 1972. Gail is only mentioned in passing in that article.

The news article mentions her age as 13, but that could have been an "updated" age, as is so often the case when referring to someone who is still missing and their fate is not known.

I do not know what her birth date is. My point is that it doesn't make much sense for that kind of information to be with-held by police or family, especially after such a long time.

I'm with you on this one Richard. I was also surprised to hear that the NCMEC has her on the list - but not on the internet?????? Why are they withholding too?????

I realise that in some cases the family doesn't want publicity, but I was under the impression that in missing children's cases that was overrided. Are old cases not covered? If a child went missing before a law was passed does their disappearance not require disclosure?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast