Crazed kitty attacks baby, forces family to call 911

DairyGirl

Reaction score
I get flash alerts from the Portland police bureau that usually tell of crimes, missing people and information about suspects, that kind of thing. Today I got this:
On Sunday March 9, 2014, at 7:55 p.m., Central Precinct officers responded to a residence in The Yards at Union Station, located at 945 Northwest Naito Parkway, on the report that the family's 22 pound house cat attacked a baby inside the residence and that the family was penned inside a bedroom to keep away from the charging feline.

9-1-1 operators confirmed that the child did not need medical attention before sending officers to contain the kitty. The 9-1-1 operator stayed on the phone with the caller to insure the family, including the dog, remained safe in the bedroom as the cat screeched in the background.

As officers rushed out the door of Central Precinct, one of them retrieved a dog snare to use as a possible tool to take custody of the cat.

Officers arrived and cautiously opened the door to the residence, where they the black and white Himalayan dart into the kitchen, attempting to flee custody. Officers were able to outwit the high-strung Himalayan, who climbed on to the top of the refrigerator, and get a snare around the cat and safely get the cat behind bars in its crate.

Officers then told the family that it was safe to come out of the bedroom. The cat remained behind bars in the custody of the family and officers cleared the scene and continued to fight crime elsewhere in the city.

Multnomah County Animal Services has several pieces of useful information on their website, including cat manners and other behavioral resources. Community members can access this information by visiting http://multcopets.org/training-resources
I could not believe that an alert was sent out about this. There was an article about the incident on our local news website.
http://www.kptv.com/story/24936455/crazed-kitty-attacks-baby-forces-family-to-call-911
Why this family is choosing to keep this kitty is beyond me. Once my pet attacks a baby all bets are off. And why an alert was sent out I can only imagine it was a slow police day.

I get flash alerts from the Portland police bureau that usually tell of crimes, missing people and information about suspects, that kind of thing. Today I got this:

I could not believe that an alert was sent out about this. There was an article about the incident on our local news website.
http://www.kptv.com/story/24936455/crazed-kitty-attacks-baby-forces-family-to-call-911
Why this family is choosing to keep this kitty is beyond me. Once my pet attacks a baby all bets are off. And why an alert was sent out I can only imagine it was a slow police day.

They should take it to the vet ,it may have an injury the owners are unware of A cat in pain might act out .

If the baby fell on it it could have a broken bone or something.that might make it growl and swat and freak out if someone was trying to catch it or chase it or even pet it. Not to mention in this article there is a mention it was kicked. The cat is 4 years old.The owner claims it has a history of being aggressive.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/03/aggravated_cat_is_subdued_by_p.html

They should take it to the vet ,it may have an injury the owners are unware of A cat in pain might act out .

If the baby fell on it it could have a broken bone or something.that might make it growl and swat and freak out if someone was trying to catch it or chase it or even pet it. Not to mention in this article there is a mention it was kicked. The cat is 4 years old.The owner claims it has a history of being aggressive.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/03/aggravated_cat_is_subdued_by_p.html

Years ago, we had to take one of our dogs to the vet. He went from humble to, get the F out of my way. You get in my path? You get bit. Come to find out, he had 2 infected teeth. Our vet removed the teeth, and he was never aggressive again. Pain in our animals can cause them to become a B***ch. Pun intended. :)

I would have just pulled out the vacuum cleaner. Any cat I have ever had runs from a vacuum.

I would have just pulled out the vacuum cleaner. Any cat I have ever had runs from a vacuum.

You haven't met my tough as nails, grew up in a animal shelter and is now Queen of the house, 7 pound princess. She glares at the vacuum cleaner when I get to close because it annoys her! Definitely doesn't run.

She also periodically chases my 20 pound boy cat up the stairs which is hilarious. So far though, she does nothing but chase him and then saunter back down as if awaiting applause. Since she has shown no inclination toward violence, I just figure they should sort it out and when she isn't chasing him they get along great.

Am torn here...I always side with the cats, or other animals. He/she must have been in distress. Hope baby will be okay...but also, poor kitty. JMO

I also side with kitty. Those were the actions of a terrified animal. My 22 pound wonder is gentle as a lamb, but I assume that if someone was spanking or kicking him, he could probably be violent.

Garfield, is that you? :scared: :floorlaugh:

I also side with kitty. Those were the actions of a terrified animal. My 22 pound wonder is gentle as a lamb, but I assume that if someone was spanking or kicking him, he could probably be violent.

Except that he was kicked after he had scratched the baby. In any case, it's been sentenced to therapy.

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2014/03...d-owners-after-attacking-baby-to-get-therapy/

The Oregon owners of a 22-pound housecat that trapped them in their bedroom after attacking their baby say they’re not giving up on their pet and are getting it medical attention and therapy.

Except that he was kicked after he had scratched the baby. In any case, it's been sentenced to therapy.

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2014/03...d-owners-after-attacking-baby-to-get-therapy/

The Oregon owners of a 22-pound housecat that trapped them in their bedroom after attacking their baby say they’re not giving up on their pet and are getting it medical attention and therapy.

Good for them. I wish more pet owners would take the responsibility of pet ownership seriously.

Lux has been taken to the county shelter. :( He looks scared…

http://www.kgw.com/news/Lux-the-cat-sent-to-the-animal-shelter-250691971.html

I am sorry that the baby got scratched, but pull most cats tail and they will react. As for what led to the 911 call, I think that is all on the owners back for kicking the cat. Cats aren't made of armor… a kick can and will hurt. A kick can even kill a cat.

I guess my old-cat-lady heart is siding with the cat…

Kitty didn't attack baby. Baby pulled kitty's tail and kitty swatted him. This is what cats do.
The father admits to kicking the cat. No wonder cat was pissed.

Good for them. I wish more pet owners would take the responsibility of pet ownership seriously.

They took the cat to the shelter. First they claimed they would keep the cat but now it's in the shelter. In addition the guy admits he kicked the cat, which is what made cat upset to begin with.

I think the only *advertiser censored* in this story are the ones cowering in the bedroom.

Maybe the parents are the ones who need therapy. I saw this story originally on the news. The story wasn't that the cat "attacked" the baby. It was that it scratched the baby. It could have been frightened, who knows. I know a gal came to my house once with her baby and kept thrusting the baby in my terrified cat's face. My cat didn't scratch but she could've.

In any event, in this case, after the cat scratched the baby, the parents reacted by kicking it. Then, it went mad and started attacking the parents, or trying to, throwing itself wildly against the door to their room. That's why they called 911. Not because the baby was hurt. (The kid was not injured).

I get the impulse of the parents. They were probably horrified that the cat scratched their kid. But I think they need help knowing how to deal with this. The cat is likely confused and scared by the baby. The baby likely grabbed its fur or something, like babies do. They kicked it and the cat freaked, not understanding why its parents are suddenly fawning over a scary intruder and attacking and rejecting the cat.

Domestic pets are a lot like toddlers. You have to introduce them to the baby, slowly. Praise them give them attention and don't leave them alone with the baby. Do it right and you can earn a steadfast protector for your child.

OMG... I've entered the twilight zone here.

This was a 7 month old BABY ... not "some" kid or "the kid"... a BABY. That baby was most likely just sitting up and at the most scooting on the floor. NOT crawling and no where close to walking. It was harmed by that cat. NO way, NO how is that okay, in my world. NOT happening. I would have snatched that cat up by it's short hairs and put it in a crate and taken it to the first shelter near me. GONE. OUTTA my house. Nothing, no one harms a baby in my world.

Scratches on the baby's face: Cat scratch disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lux has been taken to the county shelter. :( He looks scared…

http://www.kgw.com/news/Lux-the-cat-sent-to-the-animal-shelter-250691971.html

I am sorry that the baby got scratched, but pull most cats tail and they will react. As for what led to the 911 call, I think that is all on the owners back for kicking the cat. Cats aren't made of armor… a kick can and will hurt. A kick can even kill a cat.

I guess my old-cat-lady heart is siding with the cat…

I am MOST DEFINITELY siding with the cat.

Was hoping poor Lux would find a new home with unconditional love and no abuse. Rather sad to read the updates regarding "therapy". It is not the cat who needs therapy...the adults need to be more watchful of what contact their baby has with an animal and anger management therapy might be in order for them so as not to lash out at the animal when it acts instinctively to being harmed.

:(

MOO

OMG... I've entered the twilight zone here.

This was a 7 month old BABY ... not "some" kid or "the kid"... a BABY. That baby was most likely just sitting up and at the most scooting on the floor. NOT crawling and no where close to walking. It was harmed by that cat. NO way, NO how is that okay, in my world. NOT happening. I would have snatched that cat up by it's short hairs and put it in a crate and taken it to the first shelter near me. GONE. OUTTA my house. Nothing, no one harms a baby in my world.

Scratches on the baby's face: Cat scratch disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baby who pulled the cat's tail and cat reacted by swatting the baby. That's how they teach kittens of what not to do. If you are going to take the cat to a shelter for a normal reaction please don't get a pet to begin with. Owning a pet is a commitment and one shouldn't expect that pet will be perfectly behaved. If you are afraid of cat scratch disease then you certainly shouldn't have a cat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back