Tiny Gowns Become a "Huge Gift" for Grieving Families

michmi

Reaction score
MARYSVILLE — Michelle Matthews has never met any of the hundreds of parents here and around the country for whom she has sewn and donated baby gowns.

The gowns are all for newborns who have died at hospital intensive care units.

The gowns are stored at medical facilities for such a sad occasion, and Matthews doesn’t know when or to whom they’ll be given.

That’s all right, she says. “There are times when what is a small act to one person is such a huge gift to the other.”

She sews her gowns in three sizes; the smallest so tiny it’s just a diamond-shaped wrap with a little pocket and a ribbon to close it.

Matthews began her project at the end of 2011 using her own wedding gown.

“I didn’t see any reason to hang onto it forever in my closet,” she says.

As word spread, she began getting emails from around the country from women offering their gowns.

2023084738.jpg

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023084736_babygownsxml.html

that's a beautiful concept

... making me cry.

When we had a full-term stillborn baby girl, I called a nice department store and asked them to deliver a very pretty baby dress to me in hospital, which they did. My dh took the dress to the funeral home so our baby could be buried in it.

I can easily imagine the comfort that the beautiful dresses from Mrs. Matthews gives to bereaved parents. So sweet.

That dress and a funeral was all we could do for our little girl ...

I am so sorry for the profound loss of your beautiful baby girl Tweedie2, I know just how hard it can be. A beloved cousin of mine lost her baby girl 12 hours after she was born premature. This is a beautiful thing this woman does- just so gracious and generous.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Teedie. :(

A friend of mine crochets burial gowns for stillborn babies/preemies who pass away & she donates them to hospitals to be given to bereaved parents. She does beautiful work. It's a heartbreaking gift to give, but people have been so thankful for her kindness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When my granddaughter's premature identical baby girls were buried, they were dressed in tiny gowns and crocheted hats that someone had made and donated to the hospital. The babies were so small that the funeral home sewed the gowns even smaller and wrapped the babies in blankets. Because of this, we were able to have an open casket at the funeral for the babies.

... making me cry.

When we had a full-term stillborn baby girl, I called a nice department store and asked them to deliver a very pretty baby dress to me in hospital, which they did. My dh took the dress to the funeral home so our baby could be buried in it.

I can easily imagine the comfort that the beautiful dresses from Mrs. Matthews gives to bereaved parents. So sweet.

That dress and a funeral was all we could do for our little girl ...

Teedie2, I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish I could give you a hug. I work in a busy L&D. We have lovely volunteers who sew and crotchet for our little angels. That make gowns, blankets, hats and booties. Some hand paint memory boxes for us to put items in. It's such a comfort for our families and we feel blessed to have them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back