TX - Rebecca Schaller, 29, found dead; sister held captive, Burnet, 28 Jan 2014

Softail

Reaction score
3 arrested, accused in Burnet kidnapping, assault

BURNET, Texas -- Three people have been arrested in connection with the kidnapping and assault of a Burnet woman.

According to Burnet police, a two-month investigation revealed that an adult female was held against her will at a Burnet home and repeatedly assaulted for up to a year. Police have not released the woman's name

http://www.kvue.com/news/state/Thre...-Burnet-kidnapping-and-assault-249576981.html

I wish they would release her name so we would know if she is someone who has been missing.

Burnet Police: Woman severely beaten, locked inside home for a year

BURNET, Texas (KXAN) — A woman held against her will and repeatedly assaulted in Burnet for as much as a year was freed after police detained three people suspected of beating her.

Burnet police arrested Charlotte Elaine Arms, 45, Thomas Allon Simon, 31, and Walker Wayne Shapland, 24, after a 2-month-long investigation

http://kxan.com/2014/03/11/burnet-police-woman-severely-beaten-locked-inside-home-for-a-year/

I wonder if LE knew for the whole two months what was going on. That is a long time to leave someone in a situation like that if you know about it.

It's one thing to gather enough evidence to get a conviction, another to let some suffer from abuse while doing it.

Guess we will have to wait and see how the story unfolds.

JMO

This story reminds me too much of Ariel Castro. This poor woman. While, I am glad they rescued her, it would be helpful to know who she is. She had to be reported missing. Right? :waitasec:

This story reminds me too much of Ariel Castro. This poor woman. While, I am glad they rescued her, it would be helpful to know who she is. She had to be reported missing. Right? :waitasec:

Since she is a family member I doubt she was reported missing.

Maybe a mentally challenged individual under the care of Charlotte Elaine Arms? Sounds like Arms is the master mind behind all this from the article you posted.

Arms is suspected of spearheading the assaults and directing Simon and Shapland to severely beat the woman for disobeying Arms, police said.

http://kxan.com/2014/03/11/burnet-police-woman-severely-beaten-locked-inside-home-for-a-year/

Since she is a family member I doubt she was reported missing.

Maybe a mentally challenged individual under the care of Charlotte Elaine Arms? Sounds like Arms is the master mind behind all this from the article you posted.

Yeah, I saw that. Gawd, I hope it is not an adult child of hers, that has been abused and tortured like this. :(

Google map to location of house linked below.

Looks like they lived in the middle of town. I wonder what the neighbors had to say or if they suspected anything was going on.

https://www.google.com/maps?t=m&sll...9864&q=715+N+Pierce+St&output=classic&dg=ntvo

Picture of house:

cbk

Arms and Simon both have criminal histories. Arms has previously been charged with theft by check, violating an animal leash law, failing to show proof of animal license and probation violation, among other charges. Simon has previously been charged with assault on a family member causing bodily injury, evading arrest and burglary of a building, among other charges.

http://www.kvue.com/news/state/Thre...-Burnet-kidnapping-and-assault-249576981.html

This article says Simon has been previously charged with assault on a family member. We need more info! :maddening:

She looks like she could be kind of mean if you got on her bad side.

Charlotte-Arms-and-Thomas-Simon.jpg

Bigger picture of house. Different than the Google Street View I posted earlier also.

Looks like there are some young kids toys in the yard. I sure hope there were no youngsters living there too while the women was being abused.

Burnet-home.jpg

Bigger picture of house. Different than the Google Street View I posted earlier also.

Looks like there are some young kids toys in the yard. I sure hope there were no youngsters living there too while the women was being abused.
Burnet-home.jpg

I hope they saw nothing! :( This is just awful!

I am thinking kids were there for sure with all those toys. And I am also thinking older family member maybe? Regardless, this is awful and that woman looks like someone I would not want mad at me.

Yeah, I have a sinking feeling it will end up being Arms elderly mother. :(

Yeah, I have a sinking feeling it will end up being Arms elderly mother. :(

You might be right.

I never even thought of a family member maybe being her mother. It is unimaginable ordering someone to beat up your mother.

If so I hope these three never see the light of day again.

Just checked for updates. This is getting worst than expected.

I was wondering why LE stated assault with "a deadly weapon" I guess now I know why.

Victim is 26 year old niece old Arms. Apparently NOT the first victim either.

I wouldn't be surprised if homicide charges come out of this.

I sure hope those kids are given the counseling they surely need. (Read below)

JMO

According to Burnet police, a two-month investigation revealed that a 26-year-old woman was held against her will at her aunt's home at 715 North Pierce in Burnet and repeatedly assaulted for up to a year. Police have not released the woman's name.

(snipped)

Detectives first came across the victim in January when her sister and Simon's wife, 29-year-old Rebecca Schaller, died on the couch.

Arrest warrant affidavits say that Schaller had an inch-deep stab wound under her left breast. Two-thirds of her face had been burned. She had broken ribs in various stages of healing. Both of her ear lobes had been sliced. The document goes on to say that of the eight adults and six children in the house when Schaller died, none of them seemed to care and went about their business of doing chores.

When detectives were investigating Schaller’s death, they took a closer look at her sister, who had two black eyes and told detectives that she was often tied to a hospital bed and beaten repeatedly with a wooden paddle wrapped in black tape and a leather belt.

Burnet Police say that Charlotte Arms took her nieces in because they had nowhere else to go after aging out of Child Protective Services.

Snipped from above link and post:
"...of the eight adults and six children in the house when Schaller died..."

Does not actually say 14 people lived in house pix'ed, but seems on the smallish side for that many people, imo.
Cozy to say the least.

Hoping for healing and justice for all involved.

Burnet Police: Mother severely beaten, locked inside home for a year

The woman, in her early 20s, was not allowed to leave the home at 715 North Pierce and was beaten on several occasions for trying to leave, authorities said.

She is now in a shelter with her two kids, who are both under the age of six.

Glad she is safe. This is such a sickening story. Those poor kids. :(

During one incident, the victim claimed one of the suspects tied her to a table in June 2013, placed a rag in her mouth and put a towel over her head and poured water over her face while questioning her about her actions, according to the affidavit. The woman told investigators she thought she was going to drown.

According to the affidavit, the victim said the man called this “water boarding.”

Read more: http://www.dailytrib.com/2014/03/11...-three-year-long-assault-woman/#ixzz2vmdEYJEh

:eek: Lots of new information in this article. I do think they will be charges with murder. At least that's what it sounds like to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back