IL IL - Kimberly Mabry, 27, Rockford, 1 Sept 1994

SwordAndScale

Reaction score
Website
swordandscale.com
This week, I was contacted by Jennifer Robin <modsnip> about her sister who went missing on September 1, 1994, in Rockford, Illinois.

Seven months later Kimberly's body was found dismembered, with different body parts in plastic bags, dumped in a creek in a remote, rural area of Whiteside County near Coleta, Illinois.

Prior to going missing, Kimberly, who was very poor and didn't have any sort of monetary support from her family, became involved in some strange behavior like sifting through dumpsters for things to sell at garage sales. There is also some indication that she became involved with drugs and prostitution.

After her son was taken away by social services, Kimberly's life spiraled out of control. She would go missing for weeks at a time, and her mother and sister would not know how to get a hold of her. The last time she was seen was on September 1, 1994.

As you can imagine, the police didn't really do very much to solve this case. After all, what's one more dead crackhead? But to her sister Jennifer, justice for her sister means everything to her. Jennifer is also quite poor and doesn't have the resources or know-how to investigate this case. I told her I would puter her in contact with the Websleuths community and feature her sister's case on an upcoming episode of Sword and Scale, in the hopes that someone out there that knows something will come forward.

She is snail mailing me some information about her sister's case which I will post here once I receive it. For now here's what I have:

http://ilcoldcases.blogspot.com/2013/04/waiting-18-years-for-justice-kimberly.html

She mentioned someone named Tracy H who lives in the area and was assulted by someone named Jo Gray. I'm not sure of the correct spelling of his name but according to Jennifer he was convicted and serving time at Centralia Illinois Prison. However I could not find him in their inmate database:

https://www2.illinois.gov/IDOC/OFFENDER/Pages/InmateSearch.aspx

Tracy H may have important details about Kimberly's case.

I'm sending this post to Jennifer so she can answer questions and provide more specific information about her sister's case.

I'm having a tough time finding any MSM reports.

April 14, 1995: Three Milledgeville teens found the garbage bag-wrapped, dismembered remains of 27-year-old Kimberly R. Mabry of Rockford. Investigators found Ms. Mabry's arm, torso and leg in a plastic garbage bag April 15. A firefighter found her head in a weighted garbage bag April 17. She was identified through dental records and a crude heart-shaped tattoo April 20.
http://www.qconline.com/archives/qco/print_display.php?id=485882

I agree. The links I've found (except the one you already posted above) basically take me to official sites of cold cases, etc.

Hopefully she can give us some more information to work with...there doesn't seem to be much of anything to run with. :(

Hopefully she joins us so we can ask some questions to get us going.

I agree. The links I've found (except the one you already posted above) basically take me to official sites of cold cases, etc.

Hopefully she can give us some more information to work with...there doesn't seem to be much of anything to run with. :(

Hopefully she joins us so we can ask some questions to get us going.

Yes this is definitely the right case. She confirmed today in the interview that the head took a while to find because it was weighted down. I'll reach out to her again and see when she will post. Thanks for finding this!

Jennifer just sent me a fedex package with tons of docs that I'll be posting over the next few weeks (once I fix my stupid computer). Jennifer appears to be somewhat computer-challenged so I'm really trying to help her figure out how to post here properly, but it may take a while.

Also it's Renea, ot Rnea. That was a typo. Not sure if an admin can fix the threat title...

I looking for help to solve my sister Kimberly Mabry's 18 year cold case. If anyone out there could please help me find this sociopath we can together make this world a safer place. Only a cold, calculated, psychotic conscious lacking would be capable of doing such a horrific thing to anyone. My sister was such a smart young girl with a bright future. He stole that from her and left a huge hole in many hearts. It has changed every aspect of my life, my trust in people, my trust in god (how could god forgive such a monster), and the way I live my life, till now, anyway. I'm ready to take back the only thing left and that's my way of life. I'm tired of being isolated and hurt. I'm tired of thinking about what could have been! I need closure..... Please help.... I will track down this creep until the day I die. I have a one track mind. I hope the police and detectives help, regardless, I'll be doing my own investigation in that area very soon. Hopefully they make effort to help. It's been 18 years!!! I'm a strong person now and I'm not scared. I will find him and will make sure he's prosecuted for all the pain and dispare he has caused. The only thing I believe in is Karma! I want him to live out his life with emptiness and no forgiveness.

I looking for help to solve my sister Kimberly Mabry's 18 year cold case. If anyone out there could please help me find this sociopath we can together make this world a safer place. Only a cold, calculated, psychotic conscious lacking would be capable of doing such a horrific thing to anyone. My sister was such a smart young girl with a bright future. He stole that from her and left a huge hole in many hearts. It has changed every aspect of my life, my trust in people, my trust in god (how could god forgive such a monster), and the way I live my life, till now, anyway. I'm ready to take back the only thing left and that's my way of life. I'm tired of being isolated and hurt. I'm tired of thinking about what could have been! I need closure..... Please help.... I will track down this creep until the day I die. I have a one track mind. I hope the police and detectives help, regardless, I'll be doing my own investigation in that area very soon. Hopefully they make effort to help. It's been 18 years!!! I'm a strong person now and I'm not scared. I will find him and will make sure he's prosecuted for all the pain and dispare he has caused. The only thing I believe in is Karma! I want him to live out his life with emptiness and no forgiveness.

Hello there and welcome to Websleuths!! :seeya: I saw your case and started looking right away with what we had to run with. You are going to find a TON of resources here - so many people with many different skills to help you!
I have done a bit of searching but I can't seem to find any MSM (Mainstream Media) reports on your sister. It looks like, sadly, her case didn't get much coverage at all in the media.

It sounds like there is a package that was sent with some documentation that can maybe give us a starting point as to where/who to look at.

We here will do all we can to help you find who did this to your sister. I can't imagine the pain you've been feeling all these years, knowing that person hasn't been brought to justice. I'll do whatever I can to help you out. Any information you can post will be extremely helpful. The more information you can give the better - big or small. :) Sometimes the least likely clue/piece of information happens to be the right one.

So glad to have you here - and here's to hoping we can help you in any way possible to bring your sister's killer to justice.

:highfive:

Thanks, Mike and this site has been the most anyone has cared about Kim. BTW I have 3 crazy kids too!

Who is Larry Jxxx? His address is /was <modsnip> Sterling, IL
I found this Christmas card in my sisters stuff. All it says is Best Wishes, Love friend, Larry Jxxxx. Whats weird is I never knew of my sister to be friends with anyone from that area. Could this be a clue? Does anyone know this guy?

Today, I finally talked to John Booker-the detective in my sisters case. He talked to his superiors (Kelly Wilhelmi and Tim Kane) about me looking through the case file & told me no, cause its an ongoing case. I'm pretty upset considering its a cold case of 18 years. Obviously they need help from anyone any everyone. 2 brains are better than 1 right!!! He said he was going to talk to them again on Monday about this case and also about talking to media and would call me back Monday after the meeting. Hopefully he really calls back.
Detective John Booker
(815)772-5219

I posted my sisters state police and webslueths website on craigslist today in the community section. I will re post every 48 hours. Its worth a shot!

That address in Sterling, IL , came back to a nursing home. Does that make any sense? I posted this last night!! Not sure where the post went.
Did Kim have any connection to Michigan?

Guys, we cannot post personal information about individuals who have not been named in MSM.

In the Quad Cities Online link above, I noticed that Jone Knapton was also found in dismembered in a body of water, only about one hour away from where Kimberly Mabry's remains were found. Now, Knapton's murder was almost 10 years later, and prevailing opinion seems to be that her estranged husband is responsible (or at least worthy of further investigation and questioning). And it's not uncommon to find remains in bodies of water, especially in Illinois (some of Gacy's victims, and Karyn Hearn Slover come to mind). But still, I wonder if there could be some connection? Mr. Knapton's name is...Larry. (Although, that's not an uncommon name. In fact, it's my own father's name. But still, an interesting coincidence. Larry Knapton, I mean, not my dad.) Could LK have used a fake last name, and maybe have known Kimberly from one of the clubs where she worked?

Jone Knapton thread:

Slain woman's husband arrested for child *advertiser censored* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Idk maybe. Anythings possibke. How do you think I would I track him down?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Today, I finally talked to John Booker-the detective in my sisters case. He talked to his superiors (Kelly Wilhelmi and Tim Kane) about me looking through the case file & told me no, cause its an ongoing case. I'm pretty upset considering its a cold case of 18 years. Obviously they need help from anyone any everyone. 2 brains are better than 1 right!!! He said he was going to talk to them again on Monday about this case and also about talking to media and would call me back Monday after the meeting. Hopefully he really calls back.
Detective John Booker
(815)772-5219
I understand that they need to with hold info because its an ongoing case but then they need to actually get going and start talking to people. They could start with the guy who sent you sister that card. It could be nothing but its worth checking out how he new her and what his connection was to her.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

Also would like to say that three hours north of rockford a few other dismembered bodies where found.

Wish I had my laptop so I could type more about it. I'm not saying the cases are related but its also worth a look.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

Thanks for your help I'm checking on your leads

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members