AZ AZ - Chandler, FemNewborn, in tank of a Port-o-Potty, May'05

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Police on Monday were no closer to identifying who left the body of a newborn baby in the septic water of a portable outhouse over the weekend.

Police say they have not received a tip since a construction worker found the body Saturday in a residential area under construction southeast of Gilbert and Ocotillo roads.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0524EVbaby24.html

When my children were infants (well, the second, third and fourth ones), I used to just sit and look at them and try to memorize their sweet little faces for the future; knowing they would so quickly be grown and memories would be all I could continue to hold. I still love the cry of a newborn. This makes me just:furious: :furious: :banghead: :behindbar :sick: :furious: :furious:

Sheromom said:
When my children were infants (well, the second, third and fourth ones), I used to just sit and look at them and try to memorize their sweet little faces for the future; knowing they would so quickly be grown and memories would be all I could continue to hold. I still love the cry of a newborn. This makes me just:furious: :furious: :banghead: :behindbar :sick: :furious: :furious:

I used to do that with my 4 kids too. I would look at their tiny little hands and feet...so sweet. I can't imagine having a baby and throwing it away like a piece of garbage. I love to hold new borns...they just snuggle up under your chin and they smell so sweet.

I don't understand why...if a baby is still born the mother doesn't take it to a hospital or if it is born alive and she doesn't want it or doesn't feel she can take care of it why she doesn't bundle it up and leave it in a church...in a store...anywhere where it will be found. If they have to abandon it at least leave it somewhere inside where there are people. Just doesn't make sense.

Bobbisangel said:
I used to do that with my 4 kids too. I would look at their tiny little hands and feet...so sweet. I can't imagine having a baby and throwing it away like a piece of garbage. I love to hold new borns...they just snuggle up under your chin and they smell so sweet.

I don't understand why...if a baby is still born the mother doesn't take it to a hospital or if it is born alive and she doesn't want it or doesn't feel she can take care of it why she doesn't bundle it up and leave it in a church...in a store...anywhere where it will be found. If they have to abandon it at least leave it somewhere inside where there are people. Just doesn't make sense.
In Florida you can take the baby to a hospital, fire dept., police ect. and will not be charged with abandonment. I don't think that they really even attempt to identify the parent if it is done that way.

Shadow205 said:
In Florida you can take the baby to a hospital, fire dept., police ect. and will not be charged with abandonment. I don't think that they really even attempt to identify the parent if it is done that way.

Same here in Indiana.

As someone who has struggled with infertility over 15 years, this just makes me sick beyond belief. I would love to be able to snuggle a baby in my arms.

deespoohbear said:
Same here in Indiana.

As someone who has struggled with infertility over 15 years, this just makes me sick beyond belief. I would love to be able to snuggle a baby in my arms.

It just makes sense that a mother shouldn't be charged if she takes her baby to a safe place and leaves it. Even if she is a young girl and afraid of her parents finding out...they would never have to know. There have been several throw away babies lately. Sickening. I just don't understand at all.

deespoohbear.....I hope that a miracle takes place in your life and you will hold a little baby of your own in your arms. There are so many unwanted children in this world and in other countries. My sister's minister and his wife adopted a little girl from China or Korea...which ever can only keep 1 child and they keep the boys. I know it cost a fortune. My sister said that the U.S. gets to keep most of the money!!!! That doesn't sound right to me. Those little girls need loving homes and there are so many of them. The only thing that adoptive parents should have to pay is the airfare back and forth.

I went through five hard years of infertility before we adopted a child. So many couples can't have children and would do almost anything to adopt. And then you read stories like this where newborns are smothered or left to starve. It's sickening.

My sister said that the U.S. gets to keep most of the money!!!! That doesn't sound right to me. Those little girls need loving homes and there are so many of them. The only thing that adoptive parents should have to pay is the airfare back and forth.

I am guess that if the U.S. gets to keep most of the money maybe it's because there are plenty of children here to adopt. I am all for adopting foreign born children as I have considered it myself, but due to the cost, it is out of the question at the moment. There are just so many kids here that need homes.

I guess I just have a chip on my shoulder at the present cause there is so much that needs fixing here and we are always bailing out everyone else.

I'll get off my soap box now. Have a marvelous day everybody! :blowkiss:

Shadow205 said:
WE have that same Safe Haven law here in Arizona. In fact less than two weeks after this infant was found, a woman turned in her newborn baby boy to a fire department in Phoenix.
Since we are a border state, babies found abandonded here are often the children of illegals from Mexico. Most either don't know about the Safe Haven law or they believe they will be deported if they try to give the baby up at any of the Haven places. Which is not the case. However, communication with illegals is always a difficult job when you realize because they are in this country under unlawful situations, they want to stay as far away as they can from any type of law enforcement.
It's such a sad prediciment.
AZWRITER

10 years ago we adopted a sibling group of three boys (ages 6,5, and 3 at the time) that were in the state welfare system.

I am not sure how much of the money stays in the US when an international adoption is done. The money paid by perspective parents goes to pay for the homestudy, the dossier, the agency fees, etc.

CaliKid said:
I went through five hard years of infertility before we adopted a child. So many couples can't have children and would do almost anything to adopt. And then you read stories like this where newborns are smothered or left to starve. It's sickening.
My wife and I had three miscarriages before we had our son. It is a shame how some can just dispose of a child like that when others want a child so desperately bad.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0726evbriefs26.html
East Valley news briefs

Jul. 26, 2005 12:00 AM

Baby found in outhouse will be buried today

CHANDLER - A newborn found inside the septic water of an outhouse will be buried today. Workers at Harper Funeral Home in Phoenix said they could not allow the child, whom they call Angel, to be buried in an unmarked grave. A graveside ceremony open to the public begins at 10 a.m. at Paradise Memorial Gardens, 90th Street and Shea Boulevard, Scottsdale.

A construction worker found the body May 21 in a residential area under construction southeast of Gilbert and Ocotillo roads.

Newborn found in latrine gets name, mourners at her burial

Lindsey Collom
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 26, 2005 04:55 PM

She didn't have a name or a chance to count.

But on Tuesday, a newborn found in the septic water of a portable toilet in Chandler two months ago was buried with both.

Fewer than a dozen mourners gathered to remember a little girl they never met and had no connection to - a child whom funeral workers named "Angel."
advertisement

"Society is going to say this is an insignificant event, burying an insignificant child, someone we didn't even know (or) get a chance to be acquainted with," said the Rev. Marlin Hall, who presided over the graveside service. "I believe Angel's life did count ... Her purpose was to bring us together."

A construction worker found her body May 21 in a residential area under construction southeast of Gilbert and Ocotillo roads. Police said the child was born in the commode, but it was unknown whether she was alive at birth. Autopsy results are pending.

Police have had no success finding the child's mother and say the case has gone cold.

"It's difficult," Detective Brett Lockwood said. "I have to wait until somebody calls in . . . Somebody has to know someone out there who was pregnant and doesn't have a baby to show for it."

But no one has called in since the days immediately following the discovery.

Investigators contacted residents who live near the 3400 block of East Horseshoe Drive, the uninhabited block where it happened; most of the homes were in various stages of construction. Lockwood is certain no woman living in the subdivision was the mother.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/0726babyfuneral26-ON.html

Is there a Doe Network or NAMUS page for this baby?

This little baby still has no Namus record, but hopefully with some other cases being ID recently this one will also have her identity revealed. RIP baby girl.

This baby girl is now on NamUs

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

ME/C Case Number 05-1882
#UP72324

Sex Female
Race/Ethnicity Uncertain
Estimated Age Group Infant
Height Cannot Estimate
Weight Cannot Estimate

Circumstances
Type Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found May 21, 2005
NamUs Case Created August 3, 2020

Location Found Map
Location Chandler, Arizona 85249
County Maricopa County
Found On Tribal Land No

Circumstances of Recovery This Unidentified female infant was found in the tank of a port-o-potty.

Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Physical Description
Hair Color Other
Left Eye Color Other
Right Eye Color Other

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics