Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #5

New York Times: US taking back seat in MH370 inquiry

The best information about the missing flight MH370 is probably in the hands of American officials who are in Malaysia assisting the investigation but they are keeping mum, the New York Times reported.

In a twist, some of the world's foremost experts on crash investigations, radar and the inner workings of the Boeing 777-200ER are in but they are here – technically – only to assist Putrajaya.

The paper, however, said they were “being scrupulously low-key”.
    https://my.news.yahoo.com/us-taking-...063949495.html

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post:

CNN America goes live in 15 minutes. Malaysia press conference scheduled in 45 minutes.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sammi89 View Post
    I agree. Do pilots get to carry weapons, like a gun? If it was a suicide, I feel strongly that the pilot or co-pilot would have had to take out the other because the plane supposedly flew on for so long afterward. That would leave the FAs and passengers to figure it out. Passengers would likely be sleeping (although I would be shocked if each and every one was sleeping). I keep going back to the hidden axe. Don't FAs normally speak with the pilots at least periodically throughout a flight? I had never known about hidden axes on planes before now so it is possible the passengers didn't know about it either, but the FAs probably did. I just don't understand how a suicide could have occurred with no one talking some sense into him or overcoming him with force.

I've thought about something akin to a suicide bomber but I still don't understand why someone would continue for so long.

I am also curious about the possible psych issue. Depending on what was up, could there have been a psychotic break (think of that recent situation with the mom driving her kids around and eventually trying to drive them into the ocean)? That would account for what appears like illogical choices to us. You would think he would have been acting up though beforehand. Even in the case I just mentioned, the sister noticed and called LE.

IDK, no theory seems to account for all the weirdness. Hopefully the discovery will answer all the questions but I totally agree with whoever mentioned that even with a discovery and explanation, it will probably not be universally accepted.
    *BBM*

Sammi, I don't know the exact answer to your question but I did see video of the pilot and copilot going through security (metal detectors, pat downs) before this flight.
    They were showing it to emphasize that everything seemed normal, the pilots did not seem "off".

“Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."
    ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
    “The heart lies and the head plays tricks with us, but the eyes see true.”
    “A lord must learn that sometimes words can accomplish what swords cannot.”
    “There are things to be learned even from the dead.”
    “So be it. I'll wear my iron and hold my tongue. A man who won't listen can't hear.”

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nymeria For This Useful Post:

If the recent developments regarding the plane traveling a path between waypoints are true ... and it is also accurate that the transponder was manually disabled in the cockpit ... it seems to me that if this plane was indeed hijacked, the hijackers had to be the pilots. However this theory makes little sense without a clear motive. But all these actions seem to reflect those of an aviation expert

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle View Post
    sri jegarajah ‏@cnbcsri 55s
    next #mh370 media briefing scheduled 1730 kuala lumpur time

https://twitter.com/cnbcsri
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony2 View Post
    many alerts coming from this thread... I think i took care of all the offending posts...

Please stop the bickering and post in a civil manner...
    please disregard any alerts from me. I go to press the thanks button and the page moves and i end up hitting the alert triangle.

Am on a tablet that has a mind of it't own

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Marg from Oz For This Useful Post:

There is an approx. 4,400x100ft runway on Great Coco Island

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to momrids6 For This Useful Post:

Security Beefed Up In the Islands Based on Intelligence, General Public Cautioned

Port Blair, Jan 23: The internal security scenario in the country continues to remain turbulent with several forces inimical to the country actively involved in planning to strike against the state. Intelligence inputs to this affect have been received and there are indications that the threat is potent.

http://www.andamanchronicle.net/inde...ght&Itemid=200

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to momrids6 For This Useful Post:

CNN completely dismissed the Reuters report, saying that the Andaman Islands are simply "on the way" to the Indian Ocean.

Wow

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post:

Andaman & Nicobar Command Joins Search for Missing Malaysian Jet

Port Blair, March 13: India’s only unified command, the Andaman Nicobar Command has joined the search mission for the missing Kuala Lumpur-Beijing Malaysia Airlines MH 370 jet. The operation has been named ‘Search Light’. Air Marshal P K Roy PVSM, AVSM, VM, VSM, ADC Commander - in- Chief Andaman & Nicobar Command has been nominated as Overall Force Commander of Indian Forces including from Mainland.

http://www.andamanchronicle.net/inde...=37&Itemid=142

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to momrids6 For This Useful Post:

The Reuters report states that after the sharp westward turn, the plane was tracked going through the following waypoints in order:

Igari, Vampi, Gival, Igrex

Can anybody with aviation knowledge construct a map showing how these waypoints connect to each other?

20. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post:

PORT BLAIR: A runway and other infrastructure is being developed at the Coco Islands to the north of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands but India shall continue to treat China as a strategic partner in growth and not a threat, said Air Marshal P K Roy, commander-in-chief, Andaman and Nicobar Command. The Coco Islands belong to Myanmar. However, over the last several years, there have been reports of the Chinese creating military infrastructure there. There have also been reports that the islands, which are too close to the Andamans for India's comfort, have been leased out to China by Myanmar.

"We are aware that a runway is coming up at Coco Islands and other infrastructure is being developed. We have issues with China but would not consider the country as a threat. We also have a strategic partnership with China on the economic front. Both countries are growing. They have their requirements and are trying to increase their influence in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR). Their shipping movement in this region has increased. As a result, they are increasing the size of their navy. We are also enhancing our capabilities," the CiNCAN said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/30063312.cms

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to momrids6 For This Useful Post:

Andaman and Nicobar Islands: A security challenge for India

http://www.indiandefencereview.com/n...nge-for-india/

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to momrids6 For This Useful Post:

Airports in Andaman and Nicobar, India

http://skyvector.com/airports/India/...0and%20Nicobar

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to momrids6 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
    Chinese scientists observe 'seismic event' on sea floor

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/articl...h370-satellite
    There was a 6.2 earthquake in Japan this week (yesterday or day before); could that have anything to do with the event they're talking about?

Also...I'm confused why some (including the US) are thinking the plane crashed into the Indian Ocean since there has been no beacon from the black box indicating contact with salt water. ??

Hoping this latest news means the plane landed on an island.
    All my posts on this site are my opinion only, generated from brainstorming and my own attempts to logically put the pieces together.

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PoirotryInMotion For This Useful Post:

If the recent developments regarding the plane traveling a path between waypoints are true ... and it is also accurate that the transponder was manually disabled in the cockpit ... it seems to me that if this plane was indeed hijacked, the hijackers had to be the pilots. However this theory makes little sense without a clear motive. But all these actions seem to reflect those of an aviation expert
    ok have just got back on:

1st read that chinese recorded a seismic event and went yep that's it, it crashed into the ocean where they originally lost it on radar and they all died.

Then read that about the Adamanan (?) Islands.....so now am back to hijacked on a deserted island and all alive!!!!!!!!!!

like I said before, this is going to make a good book and even better movie in the future!!!!!

and re the aviation expert: I am back the Uigher professor who is an electronics professor and has had flight training in Europe...I just cant seem to shake the coincidence of this.

all I can at this moment is...whoa this truly has been mind boggling, I really hope these guys are alive!
    REVAMPZ

30. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to revampz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PoirotryInMotion View Post
    There was a 6.2 earthquake in Japan this week (yesterday or day before); could that have anything to do with the event they're talking about?

Also...I'm confused why some (including the US) are thinking the plane crashed into the Indian Ocean since there has been no beacon from the black box indicating contact with salt water. ??

Hoping this latest news means the plane landed on an island.
    I was baffled by this too earlier this arv (Australian time) and someone posted an excellent link they found that explained that it doesn't go off in deep water... only on the surface

and thanks re the earthquake....would say that is what the chinese recorded...
    REVAMPZ

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to revampz For This Useful Post:

List of airports in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India (excluding heliports and closed airports)

http://www.ourairports.com/countries...l?sort=popular

Eerie to me to find that the Andaman Islands were prominently featured in a Sherlock Holmes story? Eerie because earlier today I was thinking to myself that the only way to crack this mystery would be to badger Sherlock into using his Mind Palace
    Quick ! Someone get Benedict Cumberbatch
    " The more we learn, the more we discover how much we do not know. "
    Yoda

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Little Jedi For This Useful Post:

Waypoint coordinates:

Igari
    Latitude 065610N
    Longitude 1033506E

Vampi
    Latitude N06105600
    Longitude E097350800

Gival
    Latitude N07000000
    Longitude E098000000

Igrex
    Latitude N09432800
    Longitude E094250000

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post:

A map showing how these waypoints connect to each other would be quite revealing, because it would show us whether or not this plane was traveling in a straight line.

38. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by revampz View Post
    I was baffled by this too earlier this arv (Australian time) and someone posted an excellent link they found that explained that it doesn't go off in deep water... only on the surface

and thanks re the earthquake....would say that is what the chinese recorded...
    Yes, I think I remember reading that upthread (gitana1?) ... But I guess I'm still confused as it seems it would still go off when first entering the water (before ending up in the depths).

Obviously, there are nuances to this I don't understand.
    All my posts on this site are my opinion only, generated from brainstorming and my own attempts to logically put the pieces together.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PoirotryInMotion For This Useful Post:

CNN once against summarily dismissing the Reuters report, unnecessarily emphasizing that the report cites "unnamed" sources. I think CNN is desperate to quash any scoop that isn't their own.

42. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post:

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by momrids6 View Post
    There is an approx. 4,400x100ft runway on Great Coco Island
    Coco Island's been getting mentioned A LOT on some of the 'conspiracy' sites !

*ETA - Coco Island Airport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocos_(...slands_Airport
    " The more we learn, the more we discover how much we do not know. "
    Yoda

44. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Little Jedi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jedi View Post

This is why:

The Coco Islands belong to Myanmar. However, over the last several years, there have been reports of the Chinese creating military infrastructure there. There have also been reports that the islands, which are too close to the Andamans for India's comfort, have been leased out to China by Myanmar.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/30063312.cms

46. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to momrids6 For This Useful Post:

That wiki article on the Coco Islands states that it's a territory of Australia. Whereas it has previously been reported that it is owned by Myanmar. Did you post the wrong Coco Island or is that the same one?

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SisterWolf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jedi View Post

*ETA - Coco Island Airport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocos_(...slands_Airport
    This is the correct airport-

http://skyvector.com/airport/VYCI/Coco-Island-Airport

http://goo.gl/maps/LTU60

50. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to momrids6 For This Useful Post:

Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast