Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregjrichards

Reaction score
Breaking news

Malaysia Airlines says it has lost contact with a plane travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, with 239 people on board.

The airline said in a statement that flight MH370 disappeared at 02:40 local time on Saturday (18:40 GMT on Friday).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26492748

I'm praying the plane is found and people on the plane survive.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238253"]Frequently Asked Questions[/ame]

Thread #1
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237547"]Thread #2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237716"]Thread #3[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237792"]Thread #4[/ame]

Continue discussion here...

Remember to:
*stay on topic
*be respectful of the passengers' families
*post only msm tweets and articles with links

I agree that pilot suicide is a possibility but then I wonder what would be the point of turning off the transponders and turning around? Why not just put it in the South China Sea? Because of this, pilot suicide is low on my list.

This new information is disturbing and renews hope at the same time.

Moo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....but all those eyes are looking for a plane in a hanger ............

Nah, they were looking for crash debris. Almost put myself to sleep a couple times looking at over 1400 tiles of ocean waves. But I stopped looking this A.M.; I'm more convinced today (JMO) that we are not looking for wreckage, but an intact plane (with hopefully surviving passengers) somewhere.

Originally Posted by TopTop
When the Helios flight decompressed and continued to fly until it crashed into a mountain in Greece the goverment knew it was happening, they just did not have a way to save the flight.

Malaysia is located in a much more paranoid part of the world where the countries watch each other all the time.

I just cannot understand that a plane was flying around for hours and no one knew. What the heck is going on??

Even with the Air France flight that took a few days to find, they knew what had happened they just needed to find the wreckage.

In this case it just looks like everyone is lost and confused. I just don't believe it. They are definitely hiding something. They may not know exactly what they are hiding but they are hiding something.
You're speaking sense, Top Top!

I'm thinking along those same lines. Not everyone is (can be) as clueless as they've been trying to lead us to believe.

It's been 5 days since MH370 disappeared.
Here are the known facts:
1. The flight was going from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to Beijing, China.
2. There were 239 people on board.
3. 40 minutes into the flight, the plane was no longer detected on radar.
4. The last known words from the pilot were "Alright. Have a good night." This occurred as the plane was leaving Malaysian airspace and entering Vietnamese airspace.

5 days! And there's only a HANDFUL of known facts?!
This isn't a missing pet or a missing child! It's a 210 foot plane! One does not simply vanish without a place! Or at least, it shouldn't!

Now I hear the plane may have in fact crashed into the Indian Ocean! How did this revelation come about? Pings?

Here are a few more facts:

• NO satellite record of midair explosion in the region

• NO unaccounted for debris found on all the satellite tiles viewed at least 30 times each

• weather conditions were perfect and the pilots quite experienced

• 'Pings' picked up by US space satellite for several hours after the plane disappeared from Malaysian radar. (If it happened, it happened. There can be no denying it later.)

• More than 20 top technology people (non USA citizens) aboard that plane, including a mysterious PhD professor of technology and a group of Chinese and Malaysian nationals headed to a business conference on a Saturday morning, from a company named Freescale that specializes in high-technology electronic warfare and the production of radar-blocking aeronautic technology

• the airplane's transponders that are used for radar communication were turned off (and manually is the only way according to experienced pilots)

• US intelligence has determined deliberate, intentional, 2-part action in the above

In addition, there were reports of engine readings sent automatically by systems in the Boeing indicating the plane was in the air for 4 more hours after the last radar contact. While that's yet another thing some governments are trying to deny now, from what I understand, the sending of those transmissions is passive, something built into the Boeing 777 (and it's variants), and not something the pilot would actively send or not send. So the fact that people would first mention the readings, then deny receiving them, is also suspicious, IMO.

Why is transponder made available to the pilot to turn on or off?

Why,/when would a pilot want to turn it off?

I agree that pilot suicide is a possibility but then I wonder what would be the point of turning off the transponders and turning around? Why not just put it in the South China Sea? Because of this, pilot suicide is low on my list.

I agree.
I can't see why a pilot who was going to commit suicide would bother to turn of the transponders.

This has been asked over and over again on CNN and no one has given a good answer.

They wouldn't. They have no reason to.
When a transponder gets turned off, it raises my hinky meter.

This has been asked over and over again on CNN and no one has given a good answer.

I'm sure someone said on earlier thread it is turned off at landing so as not to confuse ATC with loads of signals.

• More than 20 top technology people (non USA citizens) aboard that plane, including a mysterious PhD professor of technology and a group of Chinese and Malaysian nationals headed to a business conference on a Saturday morning, from a company named Freespace that specializes in high-technology electronic warfare and the production of radar-blocking aeronautic technology

Clipped for length. I don't think this point is a fact. Nobody seems to have confirmed that the 20 people from the company going to the conference were "top technology people" at all

I heard sometime this week that ATC may request a transponder be turned off due to air traffic overload but sounded like it would only be for a few seconds.

I'm sure someone said on earlier thread it is turned off at landing so as not to confuse ATC with loads of signals.
I heard that also. Another guest said there was a reason to turn it off but it would be rare for it to happen. He never said what the reason was though. So confusing!

I also don't see how the jet could fly for 4-5 hours off-course without a copilot intervening, or some other form of communication being established to detail what had happened.

I am cautiously optimistic that it wasn't an accident given the latest news and if the plane continued for hours I am hopeful that it is not a suicide because I cannot understand why, if a pilot decided upon suicide, he would continue going for hours. At some point you would hope someone (co-pilot? Crew?) would talk him out of it and/or he would realize how many he would be taking out with himself.

I keep seeing that picture of the sand art praying for miracles on someone's signature here (love it) --- I really, really, really hope that some or all of the passengers are being held alive somewhere. I am hopeful that the best case scenario is at least possible despite the odds with the new information.

Yeah, none of them make much sense to me.

Reasons I've seen stated are
  • Needs to be shut off in case of fire
  • Needs to be turned off on the ground to prevent needless/confusing broadcasting of info

The fire thing I can maybe see, but as for not having it transmitting while on the ground - why not just have it be auto-engaged when a certain altitude is reached (like 500 ft or something) and then auto-disengaged when back down at ground level.

I also still cannot fathom why we are relying on antiquated technology like this for determining plane position instead of having GPS on every plane. Almost everyone in the developed world is walking around with a GPS transmitter in their pocket on their phone, but we can't put them on a plane?

Do we know for sure it actually kept flying for hours? Or is that just rumor at this point? I agree there is almost no way the pilot just drove around for hours before committing suicide. That would be incredibly odd and pointless, as would turning off the transponder - unless the theory is that he didn't want anyone to know it was a suicide so he didn't want it to be found. It seems quite unlikely to me, but so do all the other scenarios.

Yeah, none of them make much sense to me.

Reasons I've seen stated are
  • Needs to be shut off in case of fire
  • Needs to be turned off on the ground to prevent needless/confusing broadcasting of info

The fire thing I can maybe see, but as for not having it transmitting while on the ground - why not just have it be auto-engaged when a certain altitude is reached (like 500 ft or something) and then auto-disengaged when back down at ground level.

I also still cannot fathom why we are relying on antiquated technology like this for determining plane position instead of having GPS on every plane. Almost everyone in the developed world is walking around with a GPS transmitter in their pocket on their phone, but we can't put them on a plane?

Of course we can. I assume the reason we don't is for security reasons - if all planes were wired to some international GPS tracking system, that would compromise military opps, and if someone hacked into it, it could cause problems. I assume there has to be an off switch for maintenance reasons/cases of power failure or fire, or cases where a plane needs to lay low or the GPS is malfunctioning and causing confusion.

A lot of people are complaining about why "we" don't do this or that. The U.S. generally has excellent safety features and resources - we don't decide how other countries choose to operate or spend their money.

ETA: I'm referring to constant, easily accessible GPS signals beyond pilot control. As another poster helpfully explained below, transponders are GPS - but obviously if it's off it doesn't help much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni