967 users online (181 members and 786 guests)  

Websleuths News

los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

HI - David Allen Janatka, 50, Maui, 19 Feb 2014

David Allen Janatka

Missing Person: David Allen Janatka -

The Maui Search and Rescue organization has released information on an individual reported missing on Maui. According to the organization, David Allen Janatka, 50, was last seen around Feb. 19, 2014, when he took out a car rental on Maui, paying for a week of use. Family members tell the organization that when they spoke to Janatka around that day, ďhe seemed very anxious and exhausted because of lack of sleep.Ē
    The rental vehicle was found the following day, abandoned on the side of the road, with one of the windows left half open, and the manís cell phone, car keys and two pieces of luggage left within, according to Jeff Simon, director of the newly formed Maui Search and Rescue. (Editorís note: Simon says that Maui police havenít shared where the vehicle was located.)
    http://mauinow.com/2014/03/13/missin...allen-janatka/
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

What is going on? People are disappearing left and right on Maui!
    Richard Castle " There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people: psychopaths and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better."

Quote Originally Posted by Plumeria5 View Post
    I know! I was just thinking that. I was in the middle of telling hubby about Mo and Charli, then I see this. How ironic.

Guess I should have read the article before posting.

Police say the rental vehicle was found at the bottom of ʻUlaʻino Road in Hāna.
    This is where the car was found.

Maui police have since released information saying that Janatka is believed to be suffering from mental illness and was last seen ďtalking to himself and acting irrationally.Ē

And it further said he was on Maui to find some kind of spiritual retreat.

I'm wondering if he packed and went for a walk or something and got hurt of fell into the water.
    Last edited by Seajay; 03-14-2014 at 03:01 AM. Reason: link
    Where is Sky Metalwala???

Quote Originally Posted by Plumeria5 View Post
    My thoughts exactly!

Did he have any known medical conditions? I always worry about someone this age being confused from low blood sugar. . .or not feeling well and wandering off looking for help. They are just old enough to have a medical emergency, but young enough to possibly not see it coming.

Geez, I hope we get more info.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by hambirg View Post
    My thoughts exactly!

Did he have any known medical conditions? I always worry about someone this age being confused from low blood sugar. . .or not feeling well and wandering off looking for help. They are just old enough to have a medical emergency, but young enough to possibly not see it coming.

Geez, I hope we get more info.
    His family said he was suffering from some kind of mental illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
    His family said he was suffering from some kind of mental illness.
    Ahh. . well there ya go.

I guess the question still is where is he? Is he wandering around lost. .. or did he self harm.

ETA- trying to not get a TO, but if they knew he was "suffering from some kind of mental illness", why the heck is he off wandering around alone on Maui???!!!
    Last edited by hambirg; 03-14-2014 at 03:22 AM. Reason: typos
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by hambirg View Post
    Ahh. . well there ya go.

I guess the question still is where is he? Is he wandering around lost. .. or did he self harm.

ETA- trying to not get a TO, but if they knew he was "suffering from some a mental illness", why the heck is he off wandering around alone on Maui???!!!
    I dunno. The article said he was there on Maui from Oahu for some spiritual retreat or to commune with nature or something.

UPDATE: Missing Person Believed to Have Mental Illness

March 13th, 2014
    By Wendy Osher

Editor’s note: There is evidence via the Cleveland Police Department to suggest that Janatka may be a dangerous individual with psychiatric problems. Maui Now in no way endorses approaching this missing person – instead, contact the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapua View Post
    I was thinking it might be because of the campsite. If he was on a retreat, going off on his own, this could very well be him. I thinking it's him more than I'm thinking it could be Charli or Mo. fwiw.

I'm not sure of decomp in local conditions, but the article says the remains are skeletal and it couldn't be determined what gender the body is. If David went missing on Feb 19th, could his remains be skeletal already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapua View Post

Found a bit more info on why he may be considered dangerous. Wikileaks released some internal police info showing a series of arrests in Cleveland 2011 (not sure if I can link here but easily found via Google). Then arrested again in 2012 in Burbank (http://myburbank.com/02/sections/pol...anuary-2012-3/).
    On August 6, 2012, mother of two Tamala Wells drove away from her home in Detroit. She has not been seen or heard from since she made her last phone call at 11:45 pm. Her car was recovered three days later, 20 minutes away from her home. Friends and family members are baffled.

Consider featuring a missing person in your signature - a simple act that could get the right pair of eyes on the case.

I can't find any info on the remains found in Mar 2014, nothing in NAMUS or Doe Network, no news articles. Does anyone know if they were identified?
    On August 6, 2012, mother of two Tamala Wells drove away from her home in Detroit. She has not been seen or heard from since she made her last phone call at 11:45 pm. Her car was recovered three days later, 20 minutes away from her home. Friends and family members are baffled.

Consider featuring a missing person in your signature - a simple act that could get the right pair of eyes on the case.

Quote Originally Posted by DayLea View Post
    I can't find any info on the remains found in Mar 2014, nothing in NAMUS or Doe Network, no news articles. Does anyone know if they were identified?
    DayLea, the person found on March 28th, 2014, was in fact my aunt. Unfortunately, despite being filed as a missing person in 2009, she was never entered into databases by the police; a common problem. We did, however, worked with a private investigator early on and that connection eventually assisted in making the connection between this discovery and her identification.

Unidentified remains found on Maui beach: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...4#post13626134