Grandma goes to jail for calling 911

Instead of putting this elderly woman in jail maybe they could call her children and have them calm her down. Doesn't anyone with this LE department have experience dealing with the elderly? Sounds to me like she just wants someone to talk to. My m-i-l is 83. Complaining is what her conversations are all about. What's the big deal?

:slap:

I see me being just like this woman when I am 83!

mysteriew said:
I see me being just like this woman when I am 83!
I figure if you live that many years, you've learned a lot and people should shut-up, listen, and gain from your wisdom. I'm gonna have fun telling it like it is.

I'm also gonna be a red-hat lady with 3 inch heels and fire-engine red toenails!

Well, I guess it all depends on if she is just being a crotchety old woman, or if she really is mentally needy. That is alot of times that she called 911, and it wasnt the first time. She really cant be doing that, and if they let her off with out any consequences, this could become a habit for her. They do need to do something, just not sure jail was the something I like to see happen to her.

1986 said:
Instead of putting this elderly woman in jail maybe they could call her children and have them calm her down. Doesn't anyone with this LE department have experience dealing with the elderly? Sounds to me like she just wants someone to talk to. My m-i-l is 83. Complaining is what her conversations are all about. What's the big deal?

:slap:

I guess the big deal is that some child could have been drowning;
someone's house could be burning down;
someone could be getting raped; or
someone could have been shot and needed assistance.
Grandma isn't too old to learn the rules.

Jeana, you're so right. The 911 lines need to be open so that real emergencies can get through. I guess I'm looking at it as maybe this is a problem that the woman's family needs to be aware of BEFORE she goes to jail. This could be something that medication, a hired sitter, or even assisted living could adress. Handled the right way with the first call may have prevented the next 19. Then the lines would not have been tied up. I just hate to see jails full of elderly people. And will she really learn "the rules" or will she just not bother to call anyone if she has a real emergency. I just think this could have been handled better.

1986 said:
Jeana, you're so right. The 911 lines need to be open so that real emergencies can get through. I guess I'm looking at it as maybe this is a problem that the woman's family needs to be aware of BEFORE she goes to jail. This could be something that medication, a hired sitter, or even assisted living could adress. Handled the right way with the first call may have prevented the next 19. Then the lines would not have been tied up. I just hate to see jails full of elderly people. And will she really learn "the rules" or will she just not bother to call anyone if she has a real emergency. I just think this could have been handled better.

True sweetie, but it wasn't her first time:

When an officer arrived at her apartment, the 5-foot-tall, 98-pound woman attacked him, Giannini said. Densmore scratched him, kicked and bit his hand, she said.

Densmore is also charged with resisting a public officer and two counts of misusing the 911 system, jail records show.

It was the second time she'd been charged with misusing the emergency system, court records show.

In March 2004, police said she called 911 about 10 times after she was asked to stop, a police report says. She then threatened to hit the officer with a chair when he came to arrest her, the report states.

She probably needs psychiatric care, but the police can't make that call. They can only deal with what's in front of them. I hope someone hears about this case and steps in because she needs some mental healt care.

1986 said:
I figure if you live that many years, you've learned a lot and people should shut-up, listen, and gain from your wisdom. I'm gonna have fun telling it like it is.

I'm also gonna be a red-hat lady with 3 inch heels and fire-engine red toenails!

Me too. I look forward to the day that I'm old enough to be considered "eccentric" rather than just a *itch.

This sounds sort of similar to a friend's old room mate. When ever they had an argument or question as to how to handle something, her room mate would call 911 for the police. After the police showed up 3-4 x they told her they would take her to jail the next time. (At the time, I thought they were kidding.) Although 39, the girl had mental problems and functioned on about a 10-12 year old level.

Jeana (DP) said:
I guess the big deal is that some child could have been drowning;
someone's house could be burning down;
someone could be getting raped; or
someone could have been shot and needed assistance.
Grandma isn't too old to learn the rules.

No, she's not. But I'd be willing to bet this old lady has been a handfull all her life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back