725 users online (74 members and 651 guests)  

Websleuths News

NH - Debra Lee Horn, 11, Allenstown, 29 Jan 1969

This girl was home sick and was abducted from there.

After four decades, Debra Lee Horn murder case is unsolved
    by Robert A. Waters

On the morning of January 29, 1969, in Allenstown, New Hampshire, eleven-year-old Debra Lee Horn walked up the driveway toward her school bus stop. Before she reached it, however, she slipped on the ice and fell. Helped by her brother, she returned to her house and told her parents she’d hurt her neck. She asked to stay home that day and they reluctantly agreed. Her father later said he thought she wasn’t really hurt but just wanted to skip school.

Debra's brother went back out to catch the bus and both her parents left to go to work. The last time they saw Debra, described as a “frail, brown-eyed girl with a pixie haircut,” she was lying on the couch with a blanket covering her.

Her parents returned home at noon to find the front door wide-open. An Associated Press article reported: “Debra’s coat and boots were in place and the blanket was tossed on the couch. She was gone. Her two pet poodles, who would have trailed along behind her, were in the house.”

Decades passed. A few years ago, the New Hampshire Department of Justice created a website to publicize cold cases. Debra Horn's unsolved murder is included.

Who abducted Debra Lee Horn from her home in icy Allenstown, New Hampshire? My guess is that it was a crime of opportunity, a random act by someone who came to the door. Maybe a salesman, or a friend of the family. Finding the child alone, he kidnapped, raped, and murdered her.

Unless some unknown clue surfaces or someone confesses, this random killer got away with cold-blooded murder.
    Last edited by bessie; 03-20-2014 at 03:09 AM.

I wonder if they've ever checked DNA on evidence they collected, say in the past 10 years or so? (I'm sure I owned that same outfit at one point)

Someone said on another site that Robert Breest may have taken her-he was working construction practically next door.

More on Breest:

Robert George Breest Jr. was already a suspect in two New Hampshire murders when the frozen body of 18-year-old Susan Randall was found on the iced-over Merrimack River in Concord on March 2, 1971...

And investigators were looking at Breest as a possible suspect in the disappearance on Jan. 29, 1969, of an 11-year-old Allenstown girl. Debbie Horn had started off to school on a cold day on Jan. 29, 1969, but when she slipped on some ice and injured herself, she went back home... It was the last time anyone saw Debbie alive. Several days later, two young boys discovered her nude body stuffed in a trunk of an abandoned car in Sandown...

Neither Breest nor anyone else was ever charged in either Blakeslee's or Horn's murder, but police talked to Breest about them, as well as about the killing of two other young children in Massachusetts and Maine.

Is he still alive?

I wonder if there is a connection to the 3 found in barrels at 2 different times.... all found feet from each other