761 users online (109 members and 652 guests)  

Websleuths News

Alleged Gang Members Turn Elderly Woman's Apartment Into Drug Den

Six alleged gang members operated a full-scale drug den out of the apartment of an elderly woman who suffered from dementia, even eating her free senior meals, police said.

Neighbors and the landlord identified the victim as Ellen Gutierrez. Gutierrez has been moved to another residence by the city's Adult Protective Services agency.

Gutierrez, who once managed the building, befriended the gang several years ago, building owner Marino Sandoval said.

"They turned her into one of them - they literally made her like a gang member. It's hard to fathom," he said.

http://www.kfmb.com/stories/story.13213.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

The adults are charged with felony elder abuse and residential burglary, among other offenses.

Poor thing. She probably didn't even realize what was going on.

I have never heard of Adult Protective Services. Are they a Federal Agency? Do all states have one?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheromom
    I have never heard of Adult Protective Services. Are they a Federal Agency? Do all states have one?

Yes, every state has one. Maybe partially funded by the federal government, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheromom
    Federal gov. mandates that all states have Adult protective services and they do partially fund them. Different states have placed this service in different departments. Most do not operate as an individual agency. Sometimes they will be found with senior services, sometimes with the children's protective services, sometimes within the welfare dept. Finding where the APS is located is often a problem, when there is a problem. I usually recomend people call senior services and ask for the number.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight