124 lb Catfish!

golfmom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050525/ap_on_fe_st/big_fish

Tue May 24,10:56 PM ET

ALTON, Ill. - It sounds like the sort of tale Mark Twain might have cooked up: A man fishing in the Mississippi River hauls in a blue catfish roughly the size of a sixth-grader. But this is no fish story. Early Sunday, Tim Pruitt caught a 124-pound blue catfish.

Once that is done, the catch should be approved as the world's largest blue catfish, replacing the current champion that was caught Jan. 16, 2004, in Lake Texoma, Texas, said Becky Reynolds, a spokeswoman for the association.

Pruitt's fish, measuring 58 inches long and 44 inches around, was swimming below the Melvin Price Lock and Dam on the Mississippi River at Alton on Saturday night when it grabbed Pruitt's line. The two struggled for more than half an hour, and at one point the fish dragged the boat carrying Pruitt, his wife and a friend before Pruitt could reel it in.

The fish has been kept alive and will be on display in a tank at the Cabela's Outfitter store in Kansas City, Kan., according to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

Pruitt, 33, of Godfrey, told the (Peoria) Journal Star's outdoors columnist that he considered releasing the fish in the river but decided to donate it to Cabela's "because I thought it might be neat to give people a chance to see a fish that massive."

___

ALTON, Ilinois (AP) -- Tim Pruitt went fishing and pulled up a whopper of a beast.

No, seriously: It was roughly the size of a sixth-grader.

Pruitt, casting his line in the Mississippi River on Sunday, hauled up a 58-inch (146 cm) long, 44-inch (111 cm) around blue catfish that weighed a whopping 124-pounds (56 kg).

To get a sense of just how big that is, the state record holder was a mere 85 pounds (38 kg) and the world record holder tipped the scales at 121 pounds, eight ounces (55 kg).

-------

now that's some good eatin' for at least a month ;)

I am sure Gabby would have a recipe for this :angel:

Casshew said:
I am sure Gabby would have a recipe for this :angel:

He died enroute to being displayed at Cabellas :(

So we need to find out when Gabby is hosting the fish fry. ;)

golfmom said:
He died enroute to being displayed at Cabellas :(

So we need to find out when Gabby is hosting the fish fry. ;)
That's too bad.
I think it's really neat that they were going to try
and have him on display for people to see.
But wow, I wonder how old that fish was!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back