1169 users online (249 members and 920 guests)  

Websleuths News

Angry LA - Marcus Merritt, 37, Leonville, 4 January 2013

Attached Files Attached Files
    for my son

Welcome, Voorhees. I read the story, and I'm so sorry about Marcus. Something about this rang a bell, and I was able to find the articles I came across some time back. It won't be much help, but you'll find it of interest.

January 2009
    Opelousas, St. Landry Parish, LA
    New technology, coupled with thousands of hours of traditional police work, has helped the Opelousas Police Department solve the 2005 rape and murder of Clemmie Meche Hutchins.
    http://www.dailyworld.com/article/20...nclick_check=1
    On July 16, 2005, Hutchins was found dead in her home. The St. Landry Parish coroner's office originally ruled her death an accident but that was a ruling the family would not accept.

The family hired its own forensic expert, who ruled the death a homicide.

In February 2006, the state attorney general's office joined the probe at the request of St. Landry Parish authorities.
    http://www.ksla.com/story/9745478/ar...usas-cold-case
    Monday 43 year old Ricky Buxie was arrested after officials at the Acadiana Crime Lab say his DNA was a match for genetic material found inside the home of an Opelousas woman who was murdered.
    http://www.klfy.com/story/9744581/op...ld-case-solved

Note, the poor woman was raped and strangled.
    Last edited by bessie; 03-28-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Thank you very much Bessie, I will forward this story to someone that's trying to help me
    for my son

It's worth noting that the coroner for this parish is Russell Pavich, MD. It looks like he's not trained for it - he's a general practitioner (not even a member of the AMA, which is concerning to me but not required), and when you search his name you find him listed also as an orthopedic surgeon and a bariatric surgeon (which has been a trend among some doctors as it's highly profitable, but again - he doesn't have the specialty).

Pavich has been coroner since 1996, when he was appointed upon the resignation of the elected coroner due to funding issues - and has been elected and re-elected ever since. See Supreme Court of Louisiana case nos. 97-C-1914 and 97-C-1937. They ruled that the police had to fund the coroner for certain things, but ancillary staff (i.e. anyone other than Pavich himself) was not one of them, and it's unlikely that he's been given that much more in the way of more funding since 1996. So I suspect that the lack of investigation is due to there not being enough of Pavich to go around, which is an insane reason to decide not to do an autopsy (perhaps he thought that because your son was not local, that it wouldn't be questioned?). Just my opinion, but I hope that it strengthens your resolve and gives you more ammunition to get people to help you.

The budget angle might be wrong - I found that they increased the budget in 2010 to $160k for the Coroner's office operating expense from $111k in 2009. It looks like they've had issues passing a budget since then, though, so who knows how funding is working in the last couple of years.

Thank you for that information. It boggles my mind but, whatever the lack of them doing a thorough investigation into Marcs' death, is totally unacceptable to me. The fact that he wasn't from there is exactly what helped this situation work against them because, I know this isn't correct protocol. I'm pretty sure these types of situations occur there but, not with my child & this Mother plans to do all I can to find out the truth!! Again, thank you for this information.
    for my son

http://www.kplctv.com/story/32142252...s-body-exhumed

It's been an uphill battle for threee years for a woman whose son died of a gunshot wound in a little town called Leonville in St. Landry Parish.

Marcus Merritt's death was ruled a suicide but his mother has never believed that. Now, his body has been exhumed for further investigation.

OK Granny, I meant to say, thank u for posting and stay tuned. They're corrupt as hell in that state😡😡😡😡😡😡😠