Record cleared for student involved in razor incident

Swirlz

Reaction score
Bayside Middle School has ended their suspension of the 6th grader who saved her classmate's life, and they have agreed not to expel her. They've done this because -- and only because -- the media exposed what they were doing.

"Most frustrating to the Harris family is they feel like they were ignored — none of their calls were returned about the incident until 10 On Your Side got involved. WAVY.com made calls and went to the school. We called school board members, who didn't want to comment, but calls finally came in to the Harris family.

“It is amazing. They are listening to us now … she should be back in school tomorrow..."

http://wavy.com/2014/03/19/student-suspended-for-taking-razor-from-self-harming-classmate/

Good. I don't understand what the school was thinking to begin with. Sometimes common sense seems to go out the window.

Common sense and zero tolerance are pretty much mutually exclusive categories, especially the way many zero tolerance policies are written. The intent was to take away choice and get around the "look the other way" mentality many students and teachers had developed about things like bullying and drug use, which was an admirable goal, but I don't think they really thought through what the consequences would be.

Is there an MSM story of the background?
What happened?
How did Adrionna 'save' another student's life?

carbuff
Sorry, all I got at OP's link was a vid clip, no text/article.
Thx
---------------------------
ETA: found one. Seriously? that's it?
Another student was suing the blade to cut self. She took & threw it away?
What about the other student? Discipline for bringing ti to school?
I wonder what is not being reported?

I was just trying to help,” she said. “I didn’t like flash it or wave it at anyone. I took it and threw it away.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/20/s...cidal-student-throwing-it-away/#ixzz2wjMVwkrR

I'd do a cut and paste of the article for you but I'm not sure we're allowed to do that here.

So, in that school, if someone brings a gun to school and starts shooting at people and a brave student tackles him and wrestles the gun away from him, the brave student will be suspended for handling a weapon :facepalm:?

So, in that school, if someone brings a gun to school and starts shooting at people and a brave student tackles him and wrestles the gun away from him, the brave student will be suspended for handling a weapon :facepalm:?

Yep. And the school would try to expel the student too.

donjeta

Exactly!
That's what I was leading up to. Law of unintended consequences.
I read a couple other articles, but did not see any ref to self-cutting student, who presumably was the one who brought the contraband razor into school (or perhaps 'liberated' it inapprop.ly from school supplies).

Are we missing a few parts of the puzzle in these reports?

JM2cts and I maybe wrong.

The relevant part from the WAVY article (http://wavy.com/2014/03/19/student-suspended-for-taking-razor-from-self-harming-classmate):

Last Thursday at Bayside Middle School, Adrionna Harris took a razor from the student, threw it away and convinced him what he was doing wasn’t right.

She thought she was doing the right thing, so Friday she told the school administration what happened. The way school officials responded led to a question of if the school’s zero tolerance policy went too far.

Instead of getting praise from the school administration, Adrionna got a 10 day suspension with recommendation for expulsion.

The interesting thing — the only reason Adrionna got suspended was because she admitted what happened. The alleged weapon was thrown away, and it was her word alone that led to her suspension.

carbuff
Thanks for adding that from OP link, which is basically same info as other stories.

cabuff, you said it-
Commom sense is not always compatible w zero tolerance.
ITA

Still leaves me wondering - was self-cutting student disciplined by school.
Of course w school laws (FERPA, etc.) school probably cannot disclose.

Cynic in me still wondering -
1. Were there some previous school disciplinary actions against 6th grade girl?
2. Is there other relevant info not in these articles?
We probably won't read about either in MSM.

In any case, based on the little I know about the razor incident,
seems like school is now reaching approp. decision re girl.

What baffles me is why a 6th grader would want to self-injure, especially at school.

So, what happened to the student who brought the razor blade to school and was cutting himself with it?

So, what happened to the student who brought the razor blade to school and was cutting himself with it?

Probably can't be revealed to protect his privacy. I hope it was a psych appointment and not punishment, though. Cutting is a symptom of serious problems.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back