GUILTY FL - Jennifer Gonzalez, 36, found strangled, Oldsmar, 24 May 2005

Reaction score
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/0505/26crane.html

Atlanta police Thursday morning remained in a stalemate with a Florida murder suspect perched atop an 18-story crane in the heart of Buckhead.

"We're not in any rush, and he's not a threat to anybody other than to himself," said Atlanta police Sgt. John Quigley.

The man, identified by Florida authorities as 41-year-old Carl Edward Roland, climbed the construction crane about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, and has refused to come down.
According to a press release from the Pinellas County, Fla., sheriff's office, Roland, whose last known address was in Clearwater, is suspected in the slaying of his former girlfriend, 36-year-old Jennifer Gonzalez.

The woman's badly beaten body was discovered Tuesday afternoon in a retention pond near her home in Oldsmar, Fla.

1986 said:
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/0505/26crane.html

Atlanta police Thursday morning remained in a stalemate with a Florida murder suspect perched atop an 18-story crane in the heart of Buckhead.

"We're not in any rush, and he's not a threat to anybody other than to himself," said Atlanta police Sgt. John Quigley.

The man, identified by Florida authorities as 41-year-old Carl Edward Roland, climbed the construction crane about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, and has refused to come down.
According to a press release from the Pinellas County, Fla., sheriff's office, Roland, whose last known address was in Clearwater, is suspected in the slaying of his former girlfriend, 36-year-old Jennifer Gonzalez.

The woman's badly beaten body was discovered Tuesday afternoon in a retention pond near her home in Oldsmar, Fla.
He's not going anywhere, that's for sure. Now all we need is a really good lightning storm; it might save the State of FL a considerable amount of money.

Buzzm1 said:
He's not going anywhere, that's for sure. Now all we need is a really good lightning storm; it might save the State of FL a considerable amount of money.

Sunny and cool today...no lightening in the forecast. But we don't know how long he will stay up there....

It's been sort of windy the past few days at my house (180 miles south). Would it be a shame if the wind picked-up a bit in Atlanta?

Oh, so that's where the coward ran too...let him jump. I'm sorry, but I get so sick of these criminals being put on suicide watch and police trying to stop these idiots from hurting themselves. Like one of the construction workers said, it's costing them a day's pay :mad: Freakin' coward...get a sharp shooter out there and it would take care of the problem.

lady-eowyn said:
Oh, so that's where the coward ran too...let him jump. I'm sorry, but I get so sick of these criminals being put on suicide watch and police trying to stop these idiots from hurting themselves. Like one of the construction workers said, it's costing them a day's pay :mad: Freakin' coward...get a sharp shooter out there and it would take care of the problem.

CNN just said they are on a slight delay while they show the perp on the crane .....just in case, I guess!

lady-eowyn said:
I live here and work a few miles away from this mess..............traffic is a nightmare. I can't believe they didn't get him down from there overnight. When do you think he will pee?

robinparten said:
I live here and work a few miles away from this mess..............traffic is a nightmare. I can't believe they didn't get him down from there overnight. When do you think he will pee?

I'm staying away from Buckhead today...will change my plans until tomorrow. Between that moron and the water main break it is too much.

He will be getting pretty dehydrated pretty soon...no water etc.

In lieu of the lightning storm, if we could only get the crane operator, to accidentally jerk the boom a little, while he is trying to lower it.

concernedperson said:
I'm staying away from Buckhead today...will change my plans until tomorrow. Between that moron and the water main break it is too much.

You are so right, I work immediately south of the water main and I am just over that whole thing. I think the entire city is going to fall into some sewage cesspool at some point.

concernedperson said:

"With temperatures about 60 degrees F at 10 a.m. Thursday, Roland approached authorities stationed on a platform at the end of the crane and accepted a jacket before moving back a few feet and sitting. Shortly afterward, he moved again -- farther out on the crane.

Authorities have been giving the man food and water, an Atlanta Fire Department official. To keep him from falling asleep, officials have blared a bullhorn occasionally."
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/26/crane.man/index.html

ok, I'm sorry, but that is just dumb.
why give him a jacket AND food AND water.
he climbed up there, he can climb down for those things.

sharon25 said:
Authorities have been giving the man food and water, an Atlanta Fire Department official. To keep him from falling asleep, officials have blared a bullhorn occasionally."
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/26/crane.man/index.html

ok, I'm sorry, but that is just dumb.
why give him a jacket AND food AND water.
he climbed up there, he can climb down for those things.
I used to believe that Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials, like all Fire Dept. Officials everywhere, deserved my respect. Apparently I was mistaken about the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials. Even cats will climb down out of the tops of trees if they get hungry, or thirsty enough. Talk about dumb (the guy on top of the crane) and dumber (the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials).

Buzzm1 said:
I used to believe that Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials, like all Fire Dept. Officials everywhere, deserved my respect. Apparently I was mistaken about the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials. Even cats will climb down out of the tops of trees if they get hungry, or thirsty enough. Talk about dumb (the guy on top of the crane) and dumber (the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials).

Cheaper than a lawsuit when the idiot falls and kills himself. :D :D

Jeana (DP) said:
Cheaper than a lawsuit when the idiot falls and kills himself. :D :D
His family is going to sue Atlanta for not protecting him, against himself??? Somehow I really don't think that suit would prevail.

Buzzm1 said:
His family is going to sue Atlanta for not protecting him, against himself??? Somehow I really don't think that suit would prevail.
Or how about: "He accidentally fell to his death while trying to escape capture."

Buzzm1 said:

Yes it would. LE has a duty to protect him, even it is from himself. If LE knows someone wants to harm themselves, they have to do everything in their power to stop it.. If they failed to do so, the family, I am sure, would sue sue sue... and more than likely, they would win.

Buzzm1 said:

You mean to tell me you've never heard of a stupid lawsuit??? Just because there's a slim chance of prevailing, doesn't mean that it won't happen darlin.

lady-eowyn said:
My question is where will his pee land when he does pee? Ewwww!!!

I got that same question

what an idiot, why go up a crane and where is that going to get him? He would have been better off blending in with the homeless downtown. They just arrested a man in Marietta for murders 14 years ago, he blended. The sad part is this is going to cost the state of Georgia more money. We had a rash of people threatening to jump off the over passes here and now they're putting fencing up on all the ones I've seen. Guess the crane operators will either have to stay with their cranes, get security or move them every night.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back