108 people missing in mudslide

Thanks for sharing this Nurse- an infant was found and rescued- that is a miracle. I hope there are miracles for others. Very sad situation and dangerous for searchers- prayers that everyone stays safe.

One woman who is confirmed deceased was a friend of one of my lifetime friends. :tears: There is much sorrow there and prayers are appreciated!!!

Bjbk8YMCIAECDwJ.jpg

Bjc1rRdCAAEzPzs.jpg

BjWepaeCcAA11-u.jpg

https://twitter.com/MicahGrimes

The slide blocked the North Fork of the Stillaguamish River. The water pooling behind the debris, and authorities worried about downstream flooding, issueing an evacuation notice Saturday. The water had begun to seep through the blockage Sunday afternoon, alleviating some concerns.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/24/washington-mudslide/6823195/

Heard on weather channel flash flooding there this afternoon.
:please: Prayers for everyone.

One woman who is confirmed deceased was a friend of one of my lifetime friends. :tears: There is much sorrow there and prayers are appreciated!!!

So sorry to hear that Kimster. Saying prayers for you and your friend. :please:

My lifetime friend lived there for 10 years. She moved back after her husband passed away.

Washington landslide: 8 dead, 108 missing

By Ashley Fantz, Dana Ford and Janet DiGiacomo, CNN

updated 1:06 PM EDT, Mon March 24, 2014

(CNN) -- A list of those reported missing following a landslide in rural Washington state includes 108 names, emergency officials said Monday.

But that doesn't mean all of them were killed in Saturday's disaster north of Seattle, Snohomish County Emergency Management Director John Pennington said.

The official death toll remains at eight with seven others hurt, he said.

Until Monday, the number of people unaccounted for was reported at 18.

Authorities have worked feverishly to find survivors...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/23/us/washington-landslide/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

wow - I kept hearing only 18 people missing - now they are reporting 108 unaccounted for? wow, that is quite a difference, so tragic...

Im so sorry. That is awful. This morning I don't remember hearing about so many people. They were not talking about this many missing.

Im so sorry. That is awful. This morning I don't remember hearing about so many people. They were not talking about this many missing.

Yes, this morning the news was saying 18 others missing. 108 is a far cry from that. I wonder what new info they have.

It breaks my heart, reading about areas where they had heard sounds of life, but had to stop the rescue effort because of the danger, and now, there are no sounds today. :please:

Yes, this morning the news was saying 18 others missing. 108 is a far cry from that. I wonder what new info they have.

It breaks my heart, reading about areas where they had heard sounds of life, but had to stop the rescue effort because of the danger, and now, there are no sounds today. :please:

I saw that. They said it is like quicksand so they can only search by air. How awful. How just horrifically awful.

I still don't understand.. The mountain was unstable and came down? Was their rain at the time?

I have my head stuck in the plane story at the moment.

for those stuck in other threads ( me too!) here is a little more info about kinda where this happened - above some houses.

The 1-square-mile slide also critically injured several people and destroyed about 30 homes.

The slide area had 49 parcels with homes, recreational vehicles or cabins, Pennington said. Twenty-five were occupied full time, 10 part time as vacation homes; information on the others was not known Monday.

Also this: The slide wiped through what neighbors described as a former fishing village of small homes, some nearly 100 years old.

One more: Ground made unstable in recent heavy rainfall likely caused the slide, authorities said.

In the past 45 days, the area has had double its normal rainfall, at least 15 inches higher than normal, according to the National Weather Service. More rain is forecast Tuesday.

Frequent heavy rainfall and geography make the area, carved by the Stillaguamish River and glaciers, prone to landslides. The area had a similar slide in 2006, and erosion from the rain had caused the base of the previous slide to weaken.

Quotes pulled from here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/24/washington-mudslide/6823195/

So sad. My family is in that area. Only 36 of the 108 are featured here but still much more than in other MSM. Thanks.

My cousin is friends with Denver Harris' family...

I'm still wondering about my older cousins, they live up that way. Most of my Arlington family is within 5 miles of the slide and all of them that I have spoken to are worrying about flooding and being downstream if the Stilly breaks through.

Oh no! I saw a brief clip on the news here earlier today that mentioned over 100 missing, I checked WS right away and didn't see a thread so I thought it must have been a reporting error, but it's true. :( so so awful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back