Girl's shaved head draws national furor at Grand Junction school

I read about this yesterday. It made me soooo mad! :maddening: Shame on that school.

My grandson (8) is shaving his head next month to raise money for children with cancer. I'm proud of him, just as I'm sure this little girl's mother was proud of her.

School administrators can be really stupid. :notgood:

Teaching grownups: Cancer charity says school can learn from girl banned for going bald

Tim Kenny knew the charity he helped establish to fight childhood cancer wasn’t done raising money, but he thought St. Baldrick’s Foundation had pretty much buried the stigma of baldness that young fighters of the disease once bore.

Then, he heard about Kamryn Renfro. The 9-year-old Grand Junction, Colo., girl shaved her head to show solidarity for her pal, Delaney Clements, who is fighting cancer and lost her hair after starting chemotherapy. When Kamryn showed up for school at the Caprock Academy Monday, she was told she was violating the dress code and couldn’t come back without a wig.

“That is absolutely ridiculous,” Kenny, whose organization has raised more than $207 million for childhood cancer treatment by using head-shaving as a device for collecting pledges. “We started this foundation to raise awareness about childhood cancer and to raise money for research.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/2...aving-her-head-to-support-friend-with-cancer/

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1734045

Kamryn Renfro, a 9-year-old whose dear friend is battling a rare childhood cancer, wanted to show support by shaving her own head to match her pal's bald pate.

Renfro's parents gave their approval and the young girl headed proudly to school Monday to show her classmates what she'd done. But once there, she was told she was in violation of the Caprock Academy dress code and that she would not be allowed in class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compassion is not a crime. They treat if Kamryn Renfro did something really bad.

Compassion is not a crime. They treat if Kamryn Renfro did something really bad.

Wow, what an awesome way to summarize this perfectly!

This whole thing is so asinine and astounding. Hair is not a mandatory component of being a good student, good person or anything else. This young girl did such a brave thing by going bald, even as a grown woman, I just don't know if I would be that brave.

What a beautiful statement about her commitment to her friend. She didn't care how she looked or fitting an idealized image , her idea of beauty was simply being like her beloved friend, so her friend did not feel alone.

Kamryn is indeed getting a valuable education from this school and their board. Nevermind the ABCs and such, she is learning a powerful lesson about ignorant people who judge others, how little compassion some people have and how the "authorities" are NOT always the smartest, wisest or most competent of people.

At her young age, she has learned that her compassion and insight far exceeds those who are much older and much more educated.

If I was at that school, I would have to get into the mix. I would put a "bounty" on the school board members by starting a campaign where people could pledge so much money ( to the young girl in this story with cancer, or to a cancer charity) IF these board members would shave their heads (and stay bald for at least a month or so).

I have the feeling (especially with all of the publicity) that this would bring in massive money and the school board members/administrators who made this stupid decision would either give in and shave their heads for a good cause or go down in history or forever be known for how uncharitable and un-compassionate they are.

They could redeem themselves this way by humbling themselves and shaving, help bring $$ and awareness to the victim and to the cause.

Girl, 9: I felt ‘punished’ for shaving head for friend

http://www.today.com/video/today/54805686#54805686

The two girls and their moms on the Today Show. Good for them! :applause: They are adorable! :)

They also showed the 1 person who voted to keep her out of school. :notgood:

Girl, 9: I felt ‘punished’ for shaving head for friend

http://www.today.com/video/today/54805686#54805686

The two girls and their moms on the Today Show. Good for them! :applause: They are adorable! :)

They also showed the 1 person who voted to keep her out of school. :notgood:

He said he voted that way because we have lost critical thinking skills and he may have said common sense.

He's right but he's the one withot critical thinking skills and common sense. Stupid zero tolerance policies were created because mediocrity has taken over and people are unable to look at context to determine whether the rules should apply.

He said he voted that way because we have lost critical thinking skills and he may have said common sense.

He's right but he's the one withot critical thinking skills and common sense. Stupid zero tolerance policies were created because mediocrity has taken over and people are unable to look at context to determine whether the rules should apply.

I actually laughed out loud at his ability to say that with a STRAIGHT FACE!

LMAO!

I don't understand all the hoopla about shaved heads? :waitasec:

Let's fight crime, people! (Saying this to society, not you guys!)

This is my personal opinion and not necessarily the opinion of Websleuths LLC. Feel to to respectfully disagree.

Excuse me... I am crying a bit..

A dear friend with a special needs child...

She signed up with St.Baldricks' to shave her head today.

She told me ahead of time that this Is nothing for her. Kids have to put up with so much.. it was the least she could do.

She shaved her head today... she is a middle aged mom....

I admire the hell out of her... I'm not sure I could do it.

I wonder what their policy is for kids with Alopecia?
My daughter about the same age has Alopecia and she LOVES her head shaved.
She reached a point where her hair was so patchy it just looked awful.

Her wig is itchy and she hates to wear it.
So we shaved it and she was SO excited.
She laughs at me when I'm brushing the tangles out of my hair. :facepalm:

She prefers a buzz cut to every other hair style and hates when I don't cut it fast enough.
(Everyone unanimously agrees her best style is spiked hair, it's adorable on her.)

Would my child not be allowed in school because her immune system attacks her hair follicles?
Would the child with cancer be required to wear a wig?
(I home school so this isn't an issue for me, I'm just curious about the ridiculous policy.)

I'm not a fan of charter schools because have dealt with one regarding a teen, but it's funny this school became "the scourge de jour of the digital world". Good, they needed a telling off, and I bet it really annoyed the mom to have to say that the school was supportive even while making the decision. I don't call humiliating and not letting a child go to class supportive at all. It should have been handled between adults with the child still unaware and in class. Without the digital world, the school wouldn't have changed their minds without possibly an attorney getting involved and a loss of class time.

They could all learn more than a few things from these children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back