Christian school complains 8-year-old girl isn't girly enough

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
A Christian school is criticizing an 8 year old girl for not being 'girly' enough? That seems unChristian-like to me. Sunnie had waist length hair that she cut to donate to Locks of Love and now she has short hair...bfd. Why are they stigmatizing an 8 year old? At that age, in Oklahoma, I played baseball every day, all summer long, with my brothers and cousins and I am definitely a 'girly' girl. I have the shoes, perfumes and nails to prove it. I think they should leave this girl alone and let her be herself.

"We believe that unless Sunnie and her family clearly understand that God has made her female and her dress and behavior need to follow suit with her God-ordained identity, that TCS is not the best place for her future education," Bowman wrote in the letter, which was given to WDBJ7 by Thompson.

http://www.ktvq.com/news/christian-school-complains-8-year-old-girl-isn-t-girly-enough/

How silly is this?! I was never girlie. Well not until I hit my teen years.

Abbett also said that "there is much more to this story" than Sunnie's family is revealing.

"Our documentation shows a significantly different narrative than the one portrayed in the original news report," the statement said. Abbett said he could not reveal more because of privacy issues.

"You can be assured that we have cared for Sunnie and worked with her grandparents for several years to assist them. Our TCS teachers and administrators love Sunnie and we can assure everyone that this has never been an issue of hair length or boots as it has been portrayed. It has been our constant desire over the last several years to work with this family and to shepherd this precious little girl in a way consistent with traditional values," he said.

Thompson said that Sunnie never had any behavioral issues at TCS and maintained a 4.0 average in her academic work. She said the only disciplinary issue that Sunnie might have caused was that she wanted to wear boy's pants as part of her school uniform.

Asked in a telephone conversation if Thompson was correct about Sunnie's outstanding grades and good behavior, Abbett told WDBJ, "Yes."

He shouldn't have said anything imo. He quotes privacy issues that prevent him saying anything, yet manages to drop deep dark hints that something is terribly wrong about the development of this child and the way her family rears her. The poor teachers have bravely faced this awfully hard task of trying to make her a good Christian for years, and it's not succeeding and things are horribly wrong.

Yet she has outstanding grades and good behavior.

Blech.

The rest of the kids would be better off leaving this school as well.

Lots more here...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...dresses-and-behaves-like-a-boy-204748527.html

snips

"As reported by WSET 13 News, the letter emphasized that Sunnie, who sports jeans, sneakers and a short hair cut, could be denied continued enrollment in the school. According to the TCS guidelines, enrollment at the bible-based institution could be refused to students who live in, condone, or support “sexual immorality; practicing homosexual lifestyle or alternative gender identity; promoting such practices; or otherwise having the inability to support the moral principles of the school.” The letter cited Bible verses, which they say are the basis of TCP’s principles."

"Additionally the principal wrote, "We believe that unless Sunnie as well as her family clearly understand that God has made her female and her dress and behavior need to follow suit with her God-ordained identity, that TCS is not the best place for her future education.""

She is EIGHT YEARS OLD!
Unbelievable. :facepalm:

I wonder how they handle kids like my daughter who have hair loss?
My daughter has a buzz cut, because of her Alopecia.
Would she be forced to wear a wig to attend this school?
Unbelievable. Anything I say would get me banned. :banghead:

Lots more here...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...dresses-and-behaves-like-a-boy-204748527.html

snips

"As reported by WSET 13 News, the letter emphasized that Sunnie, who sports jeans, sneakers and a short hair cut, could be denied continued enrollment in the school. According to the TCS guidelines, enrollment at the bible-based institution could be refused to students who live in, condone, or support “sexual immorality; practicing homosexual lifestyle or alternative gender identity; promoting such practices; or otherwise having the inability to support the moral principles of the school.” The letter cited Bible verses, which they say are the basis of TCP’s principles."

"Additionally the principal wrote, "We believe that unless Sunnie as well as her family clearly understand that God has made her female and her dress and behavior need to follow suit with her God-ordained identity, that TCS is not the best place for her future education.""

So when did God say that females should not wear jeans and sneakers? When did He say that males could?

So when did God say that females should not wear jeans and sneakers? When did He say that males could?
There is NO reference to bluejeans because they were invented long after the Bible was written. Blue jeans were invented in the late 1800's by Levi Strauss for the Gold Miners.
From Wikipedia- the origin of Levi's: In January 1853, Levi Strauss became a USA citizen.[7] The family decided to open a West Coast branch of the family dry goods business in San Francisco, which was the commercial hub of the California Gold Rush - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Levi was chosen to represent the family and he took a steamship for San Francisco, arriving in early March 1853, where he joined his sister's family.[8]
Strauss opened his dry goods Wholesale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia business as Levi Strauss & Co. and imported fine dry goods—clothing, bedding, combs, purses, handkerchiefs—from his brothers in New York. He peddled canvas for tents to the gold prospectors. Levi lived with Fanny's growing family.[9]
Jacob Davis, one of Strauss's customers and inventor of the first pair of riveted denim pants, went into business with Strauss to produce blue jeans. The two men patented the new style of work pants in 1873

I think Sunnie will be much better off in a different school. They are extremely intolerant and stupid. I had short hair as a little girl- my mother's choice, and I wore pants- didn't change my sexuality.

I seriously doubt there's not more to it than jeans and sneakers (even if they're against the dress code). That said, I'm not sure why this is being taken public at all since the grandparents have already decided they're not going to re-enroll her. jmo

From the link:

The Thompsons are sticking with their decision and reportedly do not plan on re-enrolling their granddaughter at Timberlake Christian School.

She is EIGHT YEARS OLD!
Unbelievable. :facepalm:

I wonder how they handle kids like my daughter who have hair loss?
My daughter has a buzz cut, because of her Alopecia.
Would she be forced to wear a wig to attend this school?
Unbelievable. Anything I say would get me banned. :banghead:

I cleaned this version up; what I put on FB was more interesting. ;)

I guess they liked her when she had long hair. ALL children are beautiful!

<modsnip>
Another school administrator told the station off camera, that Sunnie is a good student but the problem extends, “far beyond her hair length.” Adding, “Things disturbed the classroom environment.”

Are there judgmental people who have 'set in stone' ideas of what a female is? I guess they don't study Joan of Arc in that school. Better that Sunnie isn't there, they may find a stake. IMHO

I may get flamed- but as a private school, they have every right to decide on a dress code and hold students accountable for it. They also have every right to decline enrollment to students who decline to adhere to it.

If it were a private Muslim school, and the girls declined to cover her head - she would be denied enrollment.

I hope that poor child's parents wise up and see what an immense blessing this is. They should run far, far away from this school and find a school that will let their daughter be exactly who she is without guilt or need for apology.

Screw that school and their tiny boxes that they try to force children into.

I seriously doubt there's not more to it than jeans and sneakers (even if they're against the dress code). That said, I'm not sure why this is being taken public at all since the grandparents have already decided they're not going to re-enroll her. jmo

From the link:

The Thompsons are sticking with their decision and reportedly do not plan on re-enrolling their granddaughter at Timberlake Christian School.

The principal's letter says that she should dress according to her God ordained identity so I'm just hoping to find out what exactly it's been ordained that I should wear.

In the Yahoo link there is a picture of the letter and it says she's being counseled professionally about her identity issues and steered into a certain direction. Just a wild guess but I think the school is not happy because the counselor didn't tell her that everybody needs to conform to some sort of a rigid and inflexible stereotype or burn in hell.

It is a private school and they can make a dress code and make the children follow it. Girls in skirts and boys in pants. There is nothing wrong with that. It is a choice and they should enroll her in a school where they don't agree with the policies.

It is a private school and they can make a dress code and make the children follow it. Girls in skirts and boys in pants. There is nothing wrong with that. It is a choice and they should enroll her in a school where they don't agree with the policies.

Many schools have dress codes but if it's decided by the school administrators it's a bit presumptuous to claim that the children who violate the dress code violate something that God ordained.

This isn't a religious issue, this is about an 8 year old girl's sexual identity.

If Summer says she is a girl and knows she is a girl, then why are others confused? I am happy she is out of the school but, at the same time, I think the letter written by the school should be addressed.

[letter at link] http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/...204748527.html

Many schools have dress codes but if it's decided by the school administrators it's a bit presumptuous to claim that the children who violate the dress code violate something that God ordained.

That is their doctrine. That is what you sign up for. Do I agree with it? No. I interviewed a lot of schools and did not choose many because of odd things.

But they get to operate with their private funds however they want. This will probably keep some people from enrolling there and may have others flocking to enroll.

Agreed, plus dress codes have nothing to do with hair length.

The real reason is that they fear she will turn out to be a lesbian if she dresses like a tomboy.:twocents::moo:

Its not about dress codes. IMO.

They told her to dress as God ordained her..
That does mean it is about dress codes. I am not reading into it more than is available.

Facts. They said that, The parents don't agree with her having to dress in dresses and stuff so they are not putting her in the school.
Sounds resolved to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrigokurita
Back