1067 users online (227 members and 840 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,681

    Mom Jailed for Breastfeeding While Drinking, Waitress Fired Over It

    http://abcnews.go.com/US/mom-jailed-...ry?id=21622331

    What do you all think? I kind of believe the mom meant no harm. And also believe the waitress was trying to do the right thing.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,278
    Wow. This is complicated. Mom shouldn't have been drinking/or she could have been feeding formula, and then the drinking, she could have been given a pass on, I'm not her judge. After a funeral, it's not unreasonable behavior. Why was the waitress fired?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,795
    I'm kind of shocked that a mother would breastfeed while drinking alchohol. In public. It's surprising.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,681
    I guess for calling the cops. If mom is truthful and just had 2 beers over a couple of hours though would it even affect the milk? I dont think it was more than a bad error of judgment though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,681
    I never breastfed so I dont really know if you can have a drink or 2 while your BF.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,649
    In general, if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed. Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk. Alcohol peaks in mom’s blood and milk approximately 1/2-1 hour after drinking (but there is considerable variation from person to person, depending upon how much food was eaten in the same time period, mom’s body weight and percentage of body fat, etc.). Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels.




    http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...style/alcohol/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by concernedmother View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/mom-jailed-...ry?id=21622331

    What do you all think? I kind of believe the mom meant no harm. And also believe the waitress was trying to do the right thing.
    I agree. It sounds as though the group were all drinking too much and the waitress felt they were unable to properly care for the child. Better to be safe than sorry, imo.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    24,159

    Angry

    I think the mother is a idiot. Can't believe she has 3 others kids!!! Anything you eat/drink is passed through your breast milk. This is just like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, you are passing on alcohol to your child- whether you are sober enough to drive or not!!!
    And the waitress did the right thing and shouldn't have been fired!!!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

    Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

    Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

    I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

    JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,649
    Per Hale (2012), “mothers who ingest alcohol in moderate amounts can generally return to breastfeeding as soon as they feel neurologically normal.”

    The American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Breastfeeding notes: “ingestion of alcoholic beverages should be minimized and limited to an occasional intake but no more than 0.5 g alcohol per kg body weight, which for a 60 kg mother is approximately 2 oz liquor, 8 oz wine, or 2 beers. Nursing should take place 2 hours or longer after the alcohol intake to minimize its concentration in the ingested milk.”

    http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...style/alcohol/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    I come from a land down under
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    I think the mother is a idiot. Can't believe she has 3 others kids!!! Anything you eat/drink is passed through your breast milk. This is just like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, you are passing on alcohol to your child- whether you are sober enough to drive or not!!!
    And the waitress did the right thing and shouldn't have been fired!!!
    LOL, no. I'm not a big drinker but I did drink once or twice while breastfeeding them. None of them are damaged, in fact all 4 are gifted Alcohol doesn't immediately appear in the breast milk so drinking at the same time as feeding is ok. It is later that you need EBM or formula if you've gotten yourself drunk. I never drank alcohol or coffee while I was pregnant though. That was too risky for me.

    I prefer to take my medical advice from doctor or a lactation consultant that some waitress. She absolutely should have been fired. A quick google on her phone would have told her it is safe. If she isn't smart enough to search and understand the research, she isn't smart enough to give out advice and should have kept her uneducated trap shut.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    I come from a land down under
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by momrids6 View Post
    In general, if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed. Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk. Alcohol peaks in mom’s blood and milk approximately 1/2-1 hour after drinking (but there is considerable variation from person to person, depending upon how much food was eaten in the same time period, mom’s body weight and percentage of body fat, etc.). Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels.




    http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...style/alcohol/
    I love you momrids, you're always so darn sensible

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,649
    Quote Originally Posted by momrids6 View Post
    In general, if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed. Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk. Alcohol peaks in mom’s blood and milk approximately 1/2-1 hour after drinking (but there is considerable variation from person to person, depending upon how much food was eaten in the same time period, mom’s body weight and percentage of body fat, etc.). Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels.




    http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...style/alcohol/
    Quote Originally Posted by MLO View Post
    I love you momrids, you're always so darn sensible

    bbm; sensible author; Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

    What is an IBCLC

    An International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is a health care professional who specializes in the clinical management of breastfeeding. An IBCLC is certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners®, Inc. under the direction of the US National Commission for Certifying Agencies. An IBCLC works in a wide variety of health care settings, including hospitals, pediatric offices, public health clinics, and private practice.

    http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3832

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    231
    The best time to drink is while you're breastfeeding or immediately after. The alcohol hasn't had time to make it to the milk. This is ridiculous.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,170
    She says she only had two beers. I don't believe her. I want to hear from the bartender.

    The waitress did the right thing IMO. The restaurant should not have fired her. She did not impose her will on the family - she called the police so that they could make the judgment call. I don't see any cops losing their jobs despite the fact that they arrested the mother and had her arrange for a sober ride for her infant.

    Who was going to drive these people home if they were all drinking?

    If this lady had driven drunk and hurt her child, we'd all be screaming bloody murder about the waitress and the restaurant that did nothing. I'm glad the waitress did something and I believe she did the right something.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by MLO View Post
    LOL, no. I'm not a big drinker but I did drink once or twice while breastfeeding them. None of them are damaged, in fact all 4 are gifted Alcohol doesn't immediately appear in the breast milk so drinking at the same time as feeding is ok. It is later that you need EBM or formula if you've gotten yourself drunk. I never drank alcohol or coffee while I was pregnant though. That was too risky for me.

    I prefer to take my medical advice from doctor or a lactation consultant that some waitress. She absolutely should have been fired. A quick google on her phone would have told her it is safe. If she isn't smart enough to search and understand the research, she isn't smart enough to give out advice and should have kept her uneducated trap shut.

    Years ago, uneducated traps also believed drinking during pregnancy was okay. Research uncovered fetal alcohol syndrome The article says the waitress observed a number of empty booze glasses in front of the mother and others. She did the right thing in reporting it. She's better off working elsewhere. I wouldn't work for such a place that only cared about income from the booze it was selling rather than the crying baby that was being ignored.


    Although police arrested Adams for endangering her baby, ABC News contributor Dr. Jennifer Ashton, a practicing ob-gyn, told “20/20” that surprisingly little research has been done on drinking while nursing.

    “Conventional wisdom will say that breastfeeding is best for both the mother and the baby, and that moderate consumption, which really means once and a while to consume a drink, probably will not do any harm for the baby,” Ashton said. “But we have to remember that alcohol is a toxin. It’s especially toxic to the newborn's brain, to the developing brain.”

    It is unclear how much alcohol gets into the mother’s milk while drinking, and the science is imprecise. Still, there are options for nursing mothers who want to have a drink now and then, said Ashton.


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Make Breastfeeding the Law: Gisele
    By angelmom in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 11:24 AM
  2. Breastfeeding at 8 - OMG!!!
    By Hopeful One in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 240
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 07:14 PM
  3. teacher fired for students drinking milk...
    By blueclouds in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 09:19 PM