Hunter Moore - 'Professional Life Ruiner' pleads guilty

Taco

Reaction score
Revenge *advertiser censored* king Hunter Moore facing charges after ‘messing with the wrong mom’

http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...th-the-wrong-mom/story-fnjwnj25-1226869910206

THE “Most Hated Man On The Internet” is facing charges in the United States after one mother launched an unrelenting two-year campaign against his “revenge *advertiser censored*” site.
According to The Observer, Hunter Moore, founder of isanyoneup.com, is facing charges in the United States thanks to mother Charlotte Laws.
Mr Moore’s site allowed people to anonymously submit naked photos of themselves — but also explicit photos and videos of former lovers without their permission.
These photos were often accompanied by identifying details including names and addresses. It also allegedly published photos gained though hacking people’s computers.
Ms Laws began a two-year investigation into Moore’s activities in 2012 and spent weeks tracking down his victims.
She compiled evidence from more than 40 victims all over the world, and then led the FBI to his home.
In January he was indicted, along with co-accused Charlie Evens, for conspiracy, unauthorised access to a protected computer and aggravated identity theft.
If convicted he faces up to 42 years in prison.
Ms Laws’s campaign began when her daughter Kayla, then 24, had a topless photo of herself published online, along with her name, location and Facebook and Twitter usernames.
Kayla had taken the photo on her phone and had emailed it to her computer but had not shown it to anyone. The photo only emerged after her email and Facebook were hacked.
“It was embarrassing and humiliating and all her friends knew and the picture was passed around her workplace. It just … kind of circulates, you know?” Ms Laws said.
Kayla was one of many victims isanyoneup.com. Some of the photos on the site, which has now been taken down, were self-submitted but others, like Kayla’s, were not.
Many came from ex-boyfriends or ex-girlfriends seeking to humiliate their former partners, and have compromised their jobs and reputations.
Ms Laws said she wrote letters to Moore, his attorney, his hosting service, Facebook and his internet security company to get Kayla’s photo taken down but was unsuccessful.
She also contacted Los Angeles police and they “basically said Kayla shouldn’t have taken the photo”. It was only removed after she rang the FBI.
“If a hacker hadn’t been involved, there would have been no case to answer and the site would still be up. But because there was, they took it seriously,” Ms Laws said.
Kayla said her photo was taken down because of one thing: “they messed with the wrong mom”.
Having connected with other victims of the site, Ms Laws decided to continue to pursue justice.
“I’m not an emotional person, but I found myself in tears talking to these women,” Ms Laws said.
“They were traumatised. I was only contacting the women who had been uploaded on to the site in the day or two before or after Kayla, so a lot of them didn’t even know. I had to break it to them and they were freaking out.”
Laws is hoping her two-year investigation will see the site’s owners convicted and has also joined the board of the Cyber Civil Rights Initiative, which is working on draft legislation for anti-revenge bills in 22 states and pushing for a new federal law.
“I’m always thinking about the next thing I can do. The next politician to try. It is very, very important that this is recognised as a criminal offence and that the law is changed,” Ms Laws said.

And the Mom of the Year Award goes to.....drum roll.....Ms. Laws!

You go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a disgusting weasel.

Good for you, Mom!

She belongs here on Websleuths, she would fit right in:)

She belongs here on Websleuths, she would fit right in:)

No kidding! :whip: If you're reading here by any chance join us! We could use you here!

pretty sure there is already a thread about this here on WS somewhere

Revenge *advertiser censored* seems to be hot around the world currently.

So, let's say you find out that you got betrayed and you're so angry that you post your ex-gf bare on slutload, <modsnip> or some other site like that. What's the worst that could happen then ? A $400 fine ? Jail ? And what if you use like a cybercafé/public network or something or a state/country, where this law doesn't exist yet ? How can they know who did it ?

It really depends on the situation. I think many guys woudn't care and gladly pay the $$$ for the fine Certainly a cheated husband who still has to pay support cash to his ex-wife.

This law still has to be worked on. There are guaranteed douches out there for sure who do it for fun, but in other cases you might sympathize why the guy did it.

Just think about it yourself. What would you do, if you found out, if your other half betrayed you after many years ? I hope I'll never have to experience that. :s

The moral of the story is don't pictures of yourself that you wouldn't want your mom to see. Seriously, just don't do it, it is common sense.

As for the woman's daughter who sparked all this, my question is this - who takes naked photos of themselves and sends it only to their own computer, where is subsequently "hacked"? I don't believe that. IMO she sent it to someone else, and the "hacked" claim is basically to provide leverage to reclaim control of the image.

Hunter Moore pleads GUILTY to computer hacking (for more pics for his site) and identity theft

But he seems like such a pleasant sort...:rolleyes:

z79y1.jpg

Prosecutors say Moore paid a hacker, Charles Evens, to illegally access the email accounts of at least seven victims in order to get more pictures for the site &#8211; despite California&#8217;s new laws against revenge *advertiser censored*, it was the FBI investigation into the email hacking that brought Moore down.

After news of the FBI investigation began to surface in the media, Moore began making threats &#8211; including to the Village Voice, whose headquarters he threatened to burn down if it ran the story.

James McGibney, an entrepreneur and former marine who runs a network of anti-bullying sites, bought out IsAnyoneUp.com with the intention of shutting it down. Three days after the sale, Moore tweeted that McGibney was &#8220;a paedophile who possessed child *advertiser censored*&#8221;, and threatened to rape his wife.

McGibney sued him for defamation and won, leaving Moore with a $250,000 bill for damages.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...*-hunter-moore-pleads-guilty-hacking-identify

Hunter Moore, 28, of Woodland, Calif... formally entered a guilty plea to one count each of unauthorized access to a protected computer and one count of aggravated identity theft. Moore paid another man to break into email accounts and provide him with nude photos, which he then posted on his website, prosecutors said. He faces a mandatory minimum of two years and up to seven years in prison, the office of the U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California said in a statement. He will be sentenced on June 24.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...hunter-moore-pleads-guilty-faces-jail-n313061

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Snoods said, Hunter Moore pleads GUILTY to computer hacking (for more pics for his site) and identity theft

But he seems like such a pleasant sort...

What a complete and total jerk.

Kayla had taken the photo on her phone and had emailed it to her computer but had not shown it to anyone. The photo only emerged after her email and Facebook were hacked.

Ya, right!

On the side note, I wish people were less embarrassed by a topless picture.

But I was a teen that had to go to the public beach that had more than half of the women going topless (including my mom, yuck). Breasts don't really phase me.

Quote Originally Posted by Taco

Ya, right!

On the side note, I wish people were less embarrassed by a topless picture.

But I was a teen that had to go to the public beach that had more than half of the women going topless (including my mom, yuck). Breasts don't really phase me.

BBM He DID hack her personal email on her computer and steal her private pictures, he was convicted for it! Details are in my previous post.

Remember, once you take a photo on a device, that photo has a chance of quickly slipping into the public view. There is no "real" internet privacy. Good for Ms. Laws!

You speak the truth, wendybtn!

(Your avi is so cute! Is that your dog?)

I wish the general population would stop treating nude pictures the way they do. Why is it that a woman can have a naked picture of her on the internet, put on there WITHOUT her consent, and have the rest of her life ruined?

Many of the women on this site have been fired, have been denied jobs, have gotten kicked out of extracurricular activities associated with the colleges they have attended, all for what? Something that should be considered a form of sexual abuse? Gee, thanks puritanical world views! Let's keep blaming victims here instead of the complete pieces of trash that dare to call themselves human beings after soliciting complete strangers on the internet to harass women they feel did them wrong.

For the people saying, "Don't take those types of photos!" Do you realize that the photos put online often come with personal information, phone numbers, emails, and even addresses of the people who did not consent to have their picture put up there? The victims of this have to deal with daily harassment for years to come, possibly even the rest of their lives. Anonymous phone calls at all hours of the day, threats from people that they will come to your house and kill/rape/beat you. All because of what? You gave someone a picture of you exposing some skin?

I wish the general population would stop treating nude pictures the way they do. Why is it that a woman can have a naked picture of her on the internet, put on there WITHOUT her consent, and have the rest of her life ruined?

Many of the women on this site have been fired, have been denied jobs, have gotten kicked out of extracurricular activities associated with the colleges they have attended, all for what? Something that should be considered a form of sexual abuse? Gee, thanks puritanical world views! Let's keep blaming victims here instead of the complete pieces of trash that dare to call themselves human beings after soliciting complete strangers on the internet to harass women they feel did them wrong.

For the people saying, "Don't take those types of photos!" Do you realize that the photos put online often come with personal information, phone numbers, emails, and even addresses of the people who did not consent to have their picture put up there? The victims of this have to deal with daily harassment for years to come, possibly even the rest of their lives. Anonymous phone calls at all hours of the day, threats from people that they will come to your house and kill/rape/beat you. All because of what? You gave someone a picture of you exposing some skin?

*slow clap*

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back