Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ - Andrew Jarzyk, 27, Hoboken, 30 March 2014 - #1

Quote Originally Posted by lucky181 View Post
    I still haven't been able to find out how long a phone will ring while in water. If it dies immediately, how far could he have run by 2:45am? What are the odds that his battery would have died that night? That's possible but I would be concerned that something physical happened to the phone.
    I am not sure how correct this is, but I did hear on CNN regarding Malaysia Flt 370 that even if the cells were in the ocean, they would continue to ring until the batteries died. This was being discussed because family members were calling the cells and they were ringing.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to momthebomb For This Useful Post:

I'm pretty sure a phone will not operate long, if at all, once fully submerged in water.

Are they 100% sure it's definitely him in the video? The video I saw was really blurry and hard to see much.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BRRI For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    I had missed this:

"Addicted runner training for upcoming marathon. Maybe clearing his head," PM wrote Monday beneath a flier shared by the city of Hoboken.

PM further described him as an "all-around amazing guy" while imploring the public to keep searching for his friend.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2y8if5AQj
    "Addicted runner"
    Man, I understand that term. Especially when training for a race.

I really hope Andrew is found soon.
    "All your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream—a dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person.” - True Detective

Help Save the Next Girl. http://helpsavethenextgirl.com

Help Find Shane Fell. Http://helpfindshanefell.com

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ktgirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HobokenFriend View Post
    This is not what he was wearing. I'm not sure why it has not been corrected, but you can see in the video that he is wearing a light/white hat. I have also heard that he was wearing a grey long sleeve shirt, reflective gloves, and spandex pants withs shorts over top.
    I must be doing something wrong because I can't see much in the video footage I have watched. I see moving legs and a brief reflective strip. That's about it. Does the missing poster have this recent clothing description? I need to go look again.
    Sleuthing....from the perch.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shefner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lucky181 View Post
    I still haven't been able to find out how long a phone will ring while in water. If it dies immediately, how far could he have run by 2:45am? What are the odds that his battery would have died that night? That's possible but I would be concerned that something physical happened to the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRRI View Post
    I'm pretty sure a phone will not operate long, if at all, once fully submerged in water.

Are they 100% sure it's definitely him in the video? The video I saw was really blurry and hard to see much.
    While anecdotal, there have been a few cases that I've followed on WS where the phone has pinged hours after it, and the missing person, has been submerged in water. It causes much confusion and speculation because, as Lucky said, there is no literature on the subject.

Sarah Majoras is one example. She slipped and fell into the frigid waters of the towpath in Lambertville, NJ in January 2013. Her phone pinged near a bridge just after she was seen on a surveillance tape (at about 2:00am). We were told her battery died at 4:30am. As far as any of the great minds here at WS, LE and her friends can surmise, she had fallen in the water when she crossed the small bridge at 2:00am. It was the battery's charge after being submerged in water that had us chasing our tails for what seemed like months.
    “I don’t know what they are called, the spaces between seconds– but I think of you always in those intervals.”
    ― Salvador Plascencia, The People of Paper

Mickey, Morgan, Michelle, Kayleah, Tia, Dylan, Norma...to name but a few. And, A, always.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MamaJoJo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MamaJoJo View Post
    While anecdotal, there have been a few cases that I've followed on WS where the phone has pinged hours after it, and the missing person, has been submerged in water. It causes much confusion and speculation because, as Lucky said, there is no literature on the subject.

Sarah Majoras is one example. She slipped and fell into the frigid waters of the towpath in Lambertville, NJ in January 2013. Her phone pinged near a bridge just after she was seen on a surveillance tape (at about 2:00am). We were told her battery died at 4:30am. As far as any of the great minds here at WS, LE and her friends can surmise, she had fallen in the water when she crossed the small bridge at 2:00am. It was the battery's charge after being submerged in water that had us chasing our tails for what seemed like months.
    Yes, I think about Sarah's case often and how similar the questions we had then are resurfacing now. Phone, cameras, strange guy bothering neighbors earlier that day, why take towpath late at night, etc. and in the end her fall and death blamed on weather conditions/ice. But the cell phone ping was a big debate for us on that thread and needs better attention in Andrews. I think they need to look much further than this pier. IMO

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Private Cupcake For This Useful Post:

I don't see any victim blaming at all.
    I didn't think that the friends and family were necessarily talking about *this* message board, and neither was I. Have you looked at some of the comments on nj.com and the like? They are reliably horrible, victim-blaming, nasty (and usually racist whenever possible). On second thought, don't look unless you'd like to feel humanity is way more hopeless than you do now.

One concern I do have is why would he go on the pier at all? He was in the middle of his run, fairly early into it, it doesn't seem like he would need a break, I'm wondering what made him go onto the pier. And it's not like the pier is very long to continue a run.
    I can answer that one! First of all, the pier has a nice wide brick walkway around it, and it'll can a good quarter mile or more to your run. Runners are creatures of habit- they'll often run set routes regularly and go on auto-pilot, and they usually hate to deviate at all from an established route that they've run before. We'll just get into a groove and zone out.

Most times when the weather is clear, the pier is a very popular loop to follow the path onto because the views of manhattan are pretty spectacular from there. The loop also serves as a wide u-turn should one's route double back on the path at that time. (Disclosure: I *always* tack that loop on and so has every runner I've ever done the waterfront loop with).

I'm also concerned to hear that LE doesn't sound as though it's searching outside of the waterfront areas. The two paths in and out of the pier A park are far enough apart that I'd be surprised if one camera could get both points in range. I really, *really* hope someone is able to get footage from inside the Hoboken train station, which would help clear up whether he continued through the station and along the waterfront in JC. I mean jeez, he'd have passed right by the outdoor police opticon next to the train station if he had. One would hope that all that Homeland Security surveillance $$ would go toward something useful. :/

I also hope someone is checking the area porta-potties, as mentioned a few times above. There are a ton of them in the area since there's so much construction going on. I probably pass at least 6-8 on my usual run. Also: the possible routes he took away from the water and toward Jersey City Heights.

As for the possible link to the person who was thrown in the water on St. Patrick's day, that victim had had an earlier altercation in a bar. Reading between the lines, it sounds as though he was (or the police believed he was, which may not be the same thing, I know) a pretty uncooperative witness.

I guess it's possible that the cases are related, but only if they'd tracked the runner in their car and then ambushed him somewhere. It wasn't the kind of night or weather to stand anywhere for very long waiting for a victim to show up. It was brutal out.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to marble For This Useful Post:

Enjoyed your thoughts Marble. Your input made me think about some of my concerns and questions.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momthebomb For This Useful Post:

Friends still searching for missing Hoboken man

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/inde...ng_for_mi.html
    No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikkismom For This Useful Post:

Was Andrew carrying an ID on his person during his run?
    Sleuthing....from the perch.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shefner For This Useful Post:

So many men missing and found near water!
    Just saw this one.
    http://www.wtsp.com/story/local/2014...toryid=7228465
    Is this happening more often lately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MissUnderstood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MissUnderstood View Post
    Just saw this one.

Look for "Footprints at the River's Edge" on Google. There's page after page of this type thing. Awful!

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sophiebelle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MissUnderstood View Post
    Just saw this one.

Google "Drowning in Coincidence", too. It's mind-boggling how many young men go missing, usually after a few drinks, near water.
    “I don’t know what they are called, the spaces between seconds– but I think of you always in those intervals.”
    ― Salvador Plascencia, The People of Paper

Mickey, Morgan, Michelle, Kayleah, Tia, Dylan, Norma...to name but a few. And, A, always.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MamaJoJo For This Useful Post:

Morning sweetlings!!!!!

Cawfee questions from left field-------were any tv shows or movies being filmed in the area??? Maybe something is on tape?????
    And to keep on this tack---does anyone know of a reality show called "Dude You're Screwed" a guy is grabbed and plunked into the desert or some place and has to get his home. I know this is far-fetched but could this be a viable possibility? Are his friends like this?
    The greatest trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Three candles that illume every darkness: truth, nature, knowledge.

"There, isn't this a beautiful piece of cloth!", exclaimed the swindlers, as they described the lovely design that didn't exist.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to hot cawfee For This Useful Post:

About a month before Andrew Jarzyk went missing, a man was pushed into the water by strangers in the very near vicinity. This was done on purpose and police haven't found the culprits. On the night Andrew disappeared, it was rainy and cold. It was late. However, he went running around a time that bars would be letting out, either slightly before or slightly after closing time. The incident of the guy that was pushed in the water a few weeks before happened around the same time. Since Andrew is a runner, maybe he's a creature of habit. Maybe he ran his normal route. Maybe the guy that was pushed in the water by strangers was some kind of initiation for a gang, maybe he was pushed in as a dry run to see how easy it would be to do again. Is it possible Andrew was scoped out and pushed into the Hudson, maybe killed for a gang initiation? So going along with this for a sec, I wonder if police viewed video surveillance of the club Andrew was at and compared those patrons to the perps in the incident from the month before. Could Andrew have been followed? Could it have been a spur of the moment crime? Or was it an accident? What's the tide like at that time on that night? Was the water choppy? Andrew seems to be very much in shape. If he accidentally fell in, I honestly don't understand how he couldn't have survived...unless the water was rough bc of the rain.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

Video at link. Also, Websleuths link is mentioned in the article.

http://hudsonreporter.com/bookmark/2...-Andrew-Jarzyk

Snipped:
    The Hoboken Reporter shot video Monday of a jog around the walkway around Pier A. There were no breaks in the fence or any spaces that would make it easy for someone to slip and fall into the water.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

What were the crime stats / le calls from that evening?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

I wonder if he could have been mugged but in all reality who mugs a jogger at 2:00AM with obviously nothing on him?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

No enemies, great family, great friends, great girl, great with kids, smart, funny, good job, secure, responsible, athletic, healthy. Personally speaking, I'm not buying that he was drunk when he went for a run. Maybe a couple drinks but not believing he was drunk. I'm not buying that he staggered or slipped and fell in the Hudson accidentally.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

Height & weight? I'll go through the thread...probably on his Missing poster.

It was rainy. He was in all black. Could he have accidentally been hit by a drunk driver that panicked so they disposed of his body to avoid prosecution?

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey*Girl View Post
    Personally speaking, I'm not buying that he was drunk when he went for a run. Maybe a couple drinks but not believing he was drunk. I'm not buying that he staggered or slipped and fell in the Hudson accidentally.
    His friends said they were frustrated by media reports that cited neighbors saying Jarzyk was intoxicated before he disappeared. Jarzyk’s sister-in-law, Karyn Jarzyk, told News 12 New Jersey that Jarzyk had texted his girlfriend the night he disappeared and the texts were coherent and “didn’t sound like somebody who was inebriated.”

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JerseyGirl For This Useful Post:

Snipped:
    Andrew Jarzyk was last seen by friends at the West Five Supper Club at 505 Monroe St. about 1 a.m., March 30. He told his friends that he’d return but never did. About an hour later neighbors saw Jarzyk outside his home dressed in exercise gear. A video camera near Fourth and River streets later captured Jarzyk running south. Another camera near Pier A Park also captured him jogging but police are unsure what happened next.

-----

Me: So if he was running that route, then did he continue on through to Jersey City? Were cameras at Hoboken Terminal in good working order? Security on duty?

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl View Post
    His friends said they were frustrated by media reports that cited neighbors saying Jarzyk was intoxicated before he disappeared. Jarzyk’s sister-in-law, Karyn Jarzyk, told News 12 New Jersey that Jarzyk had texted his girlfriend the night he disappeared and the texts were coherent and “didn’t sound like somebody who was inebriated.”

Lol we posted the same article. Hi JerseyGirl!

A comment on that article mention the Hoboken Terminal. Any idea how far it is away from where a Andrew was running?

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

What statue are they referring to?

http://www.my9nj.com/story/25191624/...ng-hoboken-man

Police dogs had gotten a scent of Jarzyk but lost it once the search had walked towards a nearby statue not too far from the location he was last seen. Police have searched air, land, and sea but had stopped searching because they have nothing else to pursue. They have said they had done everything they could possibly do in order to search for Jarzyk, but the trail just goes cold.

49. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jersey*Girl For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast