Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ - Andrew Jarzyk, 27, Hoboken, 30 March 2014 - #1

As a relatively new member I do see a pattern of where, if water was involved, we usually see a discovery within 2-4 week range. I think if the river is involved and no measures were taken to hide or weigh the body down - that will be the case here. Of course there can be many arguments made about the accuracy of this and I don't have any basis except observation of those cases I had been following.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PLT For This Useful Post:

The run was definitely a last minute decision. He had been running more recently for an upcoming half-marathon, but the run was not planned and most likely was a way to clear his mind or to get somewhere (the pier?).

Please see my previous posts for more information, but I can confirm that it is believed that his phone died at 2:45 am. His friends were calling/texting up to that point and it was ringing-through. It seems as though he was intentionally ignoring these communications.

Regarding the body in the water, I did some research and it seems like bodies in cold water like that will typically sink to the bottom and not move around a whole lot. This explains the dive-team's targeted search near Pier A. Of course, it would eventually begin to float at some point.

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to HobokenFriend For This Useful Post:

I have lost sleep over these "near water" cases...can anyone please enlighten me why the intoxicated are often drawn to bodies of water? I have googled it...spent WAY too much time pondering it...and now I am obsessed. Suicide cases aside, is it dehydration? Every single time I have been "over the limit" w/alcohol...I remember being hyper attentive to my own self preservation...I just do not get it. Please advise.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SanJuanMom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SanJuanMom View Post
    I have lost sleep over these "near water" cases...can anyone please enlighten me why the intoxicated are often drawn to bodies of water? I have googled it...spent WAY too much time pondering it...and now I am obsessed. Suicide cases aside, is it dehydration? Every single time I have been "over the limit" w/alcohol...I remember being hyper attentive to my own self preservation...I just do not get it. Please advise.
    I don't know that being inebriated gives you a love or need to be near water. I think being inebriated makes you feel impervious to the dangers that could be faced with being by water.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Schmaley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MamaJoJo View Post
    Lol, call me a wimp!

ETA - But, seriously, would you schedule a run for after a night out drinking with your friends, for around 1:00am, in inclement weather? I can see running in inclement weather. I can see running after midnight. After a few beers? Not so much. All three together? Makes me wonder.
    Agree on the beer, but I have trained with men who would do it. It would make me throw up and stop, but they would throw up and go on

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SStarr33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HobokenFriend View Post
    Please see my previous posts for more information, but I can confirm that it is believed that his phone died at 2:45 am. His friends were calling/texting up to that point and it was ringing-through. It seems as though he was intentionally ignoring these communications.
    I think in the first reports, it was stated that he left the club and said he would be back. Is that why his friends were calling/texting him until 2:45 am? I would think that people leave the club to go home to sleep so there would be no reason to keep calling in the middle of the night. Was there some concern for him which led people to try to contact him?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lucky181 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lucky181 View Post
    I think in the first reports, it was stated that he left the club and said he would be back. Is that why his friends were calling/texting him until 2:45 am? I would think that people leave the club to go home to sleep so there would be no reason to keep calling in the middle of the night. Was there some concern for him which led people to try to contact him?
    His friends got back to the apartment around 2am and, when they realized he wasn't there, began calling/texting.

14. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to HobokenFriend For This Useful Post:

They ruled out foul play so quickly which leads me to believe their is more going on to what they are releasing...I am wondering if their were other text messages to his family like the one to his gf saying "love you" which would be signs of distress/last goodbye.. Also, I am thinking he left on his own since he went down the fire escape (how could he got locked out if the fire escape accessed from inside the apartment window?)
    It sounds like he had it all together.. family, good job, gf , friends, ect which is all on the surface obviously. Are they able to access phone/txt records which would shed more light on what was really going on?

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lookingforanswer For This Useful Post:

I can't seem to find information that indicates how long a phone will continue to work, if at all, when submerged in water.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lucky181 For This Useful Post:

I'd caution everyone to not make judgements on what's "normal" or "sensible" for a runner, especially a recent convert who appears to have recently thrown himself full tilt into training. It's been a brutal winter and he'd have been training through that too. I was down running the same course he was spotted on (it's my standard one) past midnight last evening as I usually do, and saw a handful of other people walking the pathways.

It sounds like he was overcome with a rather single-minded compulsion to go for a run that evening. The weather had been terrible all day, maybe he'd been futilely waiting for it to let up a little and it never did. He was probably a little buzzed and said "screw it, I'm running no matter what" when he was locked out onto the fire escape. Maybe he figured he might as well get the run in and by the time he got back his sister would be home to let him in.

I'm still not convinced he ended up in the water. It all depends on whether he was spotted by the cameras as he was early into his planned run or nearing the end of it. His speed won't tell give you clues to that, fyi. Again, I hope they are checking along the popular route that leads up and across the palisades of Jersey City as well, and the new bike path just below.

The only way I could see him ending up in the river that night was if in a moment of exhilaration he hopped up onto one of the railing ledges to pose Rocky style into the wind. This might sound far-fetched, but I've seen way too many people perched on those rails, especially on the pier near the train terminal, posing for photos. It always freaks me out, especially since it's usually late on a Friday or Saturday night and they've wandered over from the bars.

One last thought: I can't stress enough how torrential the rain and wind was that evening. If he had his phone with him the entire time, he very well may not have heard it ring, and it may also have gotten water damage late into his run. I did not take my phone out with me that night because of the weather (but I often leave it home anyway).
    Last edited by marble; 04-03-2014 at 04:43 PM.

20. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to marble For This Useful Post:

Route

I also meant to add: I sometimes run out and back along the Hoboken waterfront, but I also do a loop back to Jersey City where I continue off the pier, through the train station (yes, you can run right through it) past the lightrail, and pick up the waterfront walkway on the Jersey City side. The walkway continues on unbroken in Jersey City for a couple of miles, and although there's also a railing there it feels a little less substantial. The JC side has far less pedestrian traffic except for on warm evenings in the summer, it can get pretty desolate. A lot of times the only other people I see are the private security guards that the luxury condo communities there hire as foot patrol for the public paths. They do patrol the area diligently, and are usually a visible presence, but given the weather that evening I highly doubt they were out there walking around much, if at all. I'd imagine there are security cameras in a few places on the Jersey City path, although I've never noticed them.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marble For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lookingforanswer View Post
    They ruled out foul play so quickly which leads me to believe their is more going on to what they are releasing...I am wondering if their were other text messages to his family like the one to his gf saying "love you" which would be signs of distress/last goodbye.. Also, I am thinking he left on his own since he went down the fire escape (how could he got locked out if the fire escape accessed from inside the apartment window?)
    It sounds like he had it all together.. family, good job, gf , friends, ect which is all on the surface obviously. Are they able to access phone/txt records which would shed more light on what was really going on?
    also there is also another surveillance video they have not released. I was wondering if this was done because something in the video is telling or they would release it at a later date to renew interest. I know it took them a few days to release the initial video

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lookingforanswer For This Useful Post:

A $10,000 reward is being offered by the family of a missing runner from Hoboken.
    http://newjersey.news12.com/news/10k...rzyk-1.7600018

His tight-knit family has been growing increasingly concerned as the search has been growing bleak.
    Police said runners typically are not targeted by thieves. Police also do not suspect suicide.
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/04/...-4-days-later/

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lucky181 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SanJuanMom View Post
    I have a theory that what happens to a lot of men (it seems from my WS obersvations that most- but not all - of these cases happen to be men) is that after drinking, they are walking home or to somewhere and have to urinate. They walk up to water in a place where no one can see them to urinate in it, but misjudge how close they are to the water or fall into the water due to intoxication.

This is only my theory and I have no hard facts to back it up.
    "All your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream—a dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person.” - True Detective

Help Save the Next Girl. http://helpsavethenextgirl.com

Help Find Shane Fell. Http://helpfindshanefell.com

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ktgirl For This Useful Post:

For everyone asking why he'd go running at 2am....

As a runner, all I can say is running can be an addiction (and as addictions go, not a bad one to have if you've gotta have one).

Especially if you're training for something, you can feel really guilty if you miss a run. Or you just start to "itch" for a run on days you don't run.

There's been times I've thought about running late at night, but I've always stopped myself because I'm a woman and I'm afraid of being hit by a car or not being able to see in dark spots and hurting myself. But man, it's been hard to talk myself out of doing it anyway plenty of times. It sounds like much of where Andrew was running was well-lit, had people around, and had places to run off of the street (at least compared to where I live). I can see how that would make the "itch" to run harder not to scratch.

I don't ever drink before a run (or right after) but plenty of people do. All of our races here (south Louisiana) have free beer trucks before and after the races for the runners. Plenty of people down a beer or two and a few minutes later are running.
    "All your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream—a dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person.” - True Detective

Help Save the Next Girl. http://helpsavethenextgirl.com

Help Find Shane Fell. Http://helpfindshanefell.com

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ktgirl For This Useful Post:

LE supposedly ruled out foul play and the don't suspect suicide, yet a reward is being offered? Would they do that if they thought Andrew simply fell in the water accidentally? What was on the tapes that we don't know about? Is LE communicating with the family?
    The offering of a reward makes me suspect something criminal happened..
    Does LE suspect Andrew just wanted to disappear for a bit (though he doesn't seem the type to me and doesn't have any sort of history, from what i've read)?

I really wonder if someone or a group of people was following him in the video that was recovered..

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nycgrl For This Useful Post:

Ruled out foul play and now dont suspect suicide... I am guessing there is more on the second unreleased video of him being intoxicated or moving in an irrational manner .. Or they think he wanted to disappear... But why? This question may lead to his recovery

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lookingforanswer For This Useful Post:

There are a bunch of cameras in the area around Pier A. I think they used those cameras to confirm he went out on the pier and didn't come back. The pier was such a targeted search and a lot of helicopters were reported - lot of money to spend on a hunch. They would also be able to rule out foul play by reviewing the video and determining if anyone else was on the pier. It was a downpour, so doubt anyone else was around.

36. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HobokenFriend For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HobokenFriend View Post
    His friends got back to the apartment around 2am and, when they realized he wasn't there, began calling/texting.
    So they had a plan to meet at his apartment afterwards? Also - the term "club" keeps being used - was it a nightclub or a restaurant/bar?

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PLT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PLT View Post
    So they had a plan to meet at his apartment afterwards? Also - the term "club" keeps being used - was it a nightclub or a restaurant/bar?
    Here it is: http://www.thewestfive.com/index_new.php

Also, he was a member of a frat in college (TKE), so I am going to guess a few beers wouldn't get him out of control drunk. Pair that with living in a social area like Hoboken, probably not a lightweight.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRRI For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PLT View Post
    Jarzyk lived with two of the guys he was at the bar with. The place they were at is called the West Five Supper Club, but it's basically a bar/restaurant that turns into a club on nights/weekends.

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HobokenFriend For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lookingforanswer View Post
    Ruled out foul play and now dont suspect suicide... I am guessing there is more on the second unreleased video of him being intoxicated or moving in an irrational manner .. Or they think he wanted to disappear... But why? This question may lead to his recovery
    Or meeting someone!
    someone he knows possibly!

No suicide no foul play maybe he is seen with someone on this video.
    something that might explain a lot to his family!
    Maybe getting in a vehicle!

Many ppl do have secrets!
    Secret friends .lovers! That family or wives husbands and gf's and bf's know nothing about!

44. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eileen730 For This Useful Post:

marble----your post at 112------good point about the weather---it was an unholy mess that night--barely conducive to walking home much less running (IMO).
    The greatest trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Three candles that illume every darkness: truth, nature, knowledge.

"There, isn't this a beautiful piece of cloth!", exclaimed the swindlers, as they described the lovely design that didn't exist.

46. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hot cawfee For This Useful Post:

nycgirl----your post at 118---- just disappearing is as good a theory as any friend----
    Has his banking and credit card info been checked??? Did he file his taxes yet?????
    Keep current in perscriptions????
    Sorry sweetlings--am in question mode---shocking right??
    The greatest trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist.

"There, isn't this a beautiful piece of cloth!", exclaimed the swindlers, as they described the lovely design that didn't exist.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to hot cawfee For This Useful Post:

Not sure if this is anything--------how close can a boat, raft get to the shore???
    Why am I thinking of that dreadful Julia Roberts movie---she fakes her own death/disappearance to get away from an abusive husband???

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hot cawfee For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast