Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ - Andrew Jarzyk, 27, Hoboken, 30 March 2014 - #1

Quote Originally Posted by marble View Post
    I think the "digging into his past" comment was in reference to media trying to pry into his personal life and put him/his lifestyle (bar hopping, late night running, relationships) on trial. I read their entire statement as denouncing salacious speculation on news sites and bulletin boards that ignore the pertinent facts that have so far been established (1. He left for a late night run. 2. He was spotted on a surveillance camera running along the waterfront at a decent pace) in favor of digging up info about his personal life. (Girlfriend, friends, sister, drinking, decision making skills, etc.)

I think the victim-blaming and family blaming ( are we all Nancy Grace now?) is cruel and what's more, it's a huge red herring that doesn't help us in any way find out what happened to this young man that evening. He shows up on the video running pretty strongly and smoothly, especially given the conditions. He was at least a good mile away from his house at that point, so he couldn't have been *too* drunk given he was running as well as he was. At the very least, he wasn't anywhere close to stumbling around, blacking out, drunk.

Regardless of whether or not he'd fallen ill at some point or injured himself due to being somewhat inebriated combined with the slippery, low-visibility conditions, how does determining just how buzzed he was (if he was buzzed at all?) help us figure out what happened at this point and find clues try to help find him?

I also agree with his loved ones that it's pretty crappy for media to treat his disappearance as exploitative fodder for entertainment and eyeballs.

FWIW I also think a lot of productive thoughts have been offered in this thread: looking into places that may have public restrooms- (none other than the ones in the train station, but there are lots of porta-potties around that should be checked), tracking down any of Hoboken's waterfront homeless population braved the elements that night and may have spotted him, etc.
    I don't see that anyone said anything wrong!
    The neighbor saw him the family didn't!
    You cant tell by a text is someone had to much to drink either!

Nothing wrong with going out to a bar with friends he was not drinking and driving! Probably wasn't drunk at all but when he got locked out he was probably angry and reacted like we all would and have a moment of insanity.
    lol

You cant erase the parts of his evening because you don't want ppl saying anything about him but I don't see where he did anything wrong and you hae to know what he did that night because it might help to find him!

JMO
    JMO

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eileen730 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by marble View Post
    I think the "digging into his past" comment was in reference to media trying to pry into his personal life and put him/his lifestyle (bar hopping, late night running, relationships) on trial. I read their entire statement as denouncing salacious speculation on news sites and bulletin boards that ignore the pertinent facts that have so far been established (1. He left for a late night run. 2. He was spotted on a surveillance camera running along the waterfront at a decent pace) in favor of digging up info about his personal life. (Girlfriend, friends, sister, drinking, decision making skills, etc.)

I think the victim-blaming and family blaming ( are we all Nancy Grace now?) is cruel and what's more, it's a huge red herring that doesn't help us in any way find out what happened to this young man that evening. He shows up on the video running pretty strongly and smoothly, especially given the conditions. He was at least a good mile away from his house at that point, so he couldn't have been *too* drunk given he was running as well as he was. At the very least, he wasn't anywhere close to stumbling around, blacking out, drunk.

Regardless of whether or not he'd fallen ill at some point or injured himself due to being somewhat inebriated combined with the slippery, low-visibility conditions, how does determining just how buzzed he was (if he was buzzed at all?) help us figure out what happened at this point and find clues try to help find him?

I also agree with his loved ones that it's pretty crappy for media to treat his disappearance as exploitative fodder for entertainment and eyeballs.

FWIW I also think a lot of productive thoughts have been offered in this thread: looking into places that may have public restrooms- (none other than the ones in the train station, but there are lots of porta-potties around that should be checked), tracking down any of Hoboken's waterfront homeless population braved the elements that night and may have spotted him, etc.
    I somewhat disagree with your statement here. When you look at these cases, being observant of someone's past, habits, history, weaknesses, relationships, work ethic, etc., can be crucial to determining more about what happened. We have seen it often here....and knowing about the missing person's life/past can be the break people need. We don't dig into the past to judge the person or to be cruel or nosey. Well, some might but most of us here don't. We are simply wanting to see the "whole" victim.

The friends should definitely be glad that people are interested and are talking. Because when they quit, Andrew's case goes cold.
    Sleuthing....from the perch.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to shefner For This Useful Post:

I know the family was organizing a big search for today. Has anyone heard anything on how that went?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to momthebomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikkismom View Post
    Friends of missing Hoboken man denounce speculation about how he went missing

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...t_missing.html
    Am I the only one who finds it a little strange that they are saying they don't want his past dug up, they don't want any speculation (even though the case is at a standstill), they are rejecting neighbor accounts of him....idk, for me, I would want every possible scenario investigated before anything is ruled out.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BRRI For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by los2188 View Post
    Jarzyk's sister-in-law, Karyn Jarzyk, told News 12 New Jersey that Jarzyk had texted his girlfriend that night and that the texts were coherent and "didn't sound like somebody who was inebriated."

Chalk one up to autocorrect on his phone for not 'sounding' inebriated?? Getting emotion from text messaging at times can be very hard especially if there is no reason to think otherwise.
    Agree. Plus, his girlfriend said he only texted with "miss u babe". Doesn't really take being sober to text that.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BRRI For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by azure View Post
    Andrew's friends sound rather defensive. This leads me to wonder of there's something else they're trying to keep quiet. If I ever go missing, I hope my friends and family just ignore anything they don't like and be glad people are even talking about me.

With that said, I think speculation about whether he was spotted on camera could lead to footage of Andrew, which may tell us where he was last seen. That seems pretty important.
    Agree 100%! My thoughts exactly!! If there is nothing to hide...what is the issue? I would want every possibility discussed if I were missing.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BRRI For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shefner View Post
    I somewhat disagree with your statement here. When you look at these cases, being observant of someone's past, habits, history, weaknesses, relationships, work ethic, etc., can be crucial to determining more about what happened. We have seen it often here....and knowing about the missing person's life/past can be the break people need. We don't dig into the past to judge the person or to be cruel or nosey. Well, some might but most of us here don't. We are simply wanting to see the "whole" victim.

The friends should definitely be glad that people are interested and are talking. Because when they quit, Andrew's case goes cold.
    Agree! Unfortunately, when something happens, it is often critical to look at surrounding factors that can influence decision making (past behavior, events leading up to the point of going missing, possible scenarios that could have occurred, etc). If you think of it simply, you need to solve who, what, where, when, why. To get those answers, you need to dig up seemingly irrelevant facts to try and piece together the puzzle. Also, please, never believe 100% of what the media says. They are often fed false information or not given full details. They are told what LE wants them to know in order to benefit the case.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BRRI For This Useful Post:

I agree, and honestly, I do not recall hearing anything about his past so I was just as confused when I read that.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to momthebomb For This Useful Post:

I also took the comment to mean they don't want his name dragged thru the mud. They are trying to preserve his honor and I don't blame them. It's so hard to get media coverage with sensationalizing.

I haven't heard any news today so I'm thinking they found nothing, at this point I'm pretty sure unfortunately it's going to be another body of water accident. So so sad.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derdew For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by momthebomb View Post
    I agree, and honestly, I do not recall hearing anything about his past so I was just as confused when I read that.
    Yea, it almost made me think "what in his past would make them concerned about that?" I understand wanting to honor him and preserve his memory, but when someone is missing, that's not exactly the best method IMO. I agree with you, I haven't seen anything bashing him. It's been the opposite, everyone saying how great he is

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BRRI For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Derdew View Post
    I also took the comment to mean they don't want his name dragged thru the mud. They are trying to preserve his honor and I don't blame them. It's so hard to get media coverage with sensationalizing.

I haven't heard any news today so I'm thinking they found nothing, at this point I'm pretty sure unfortunately it's going to be another body of water accident. So so sad.
    Yea, I do think by now, unfortunately, that he is gone. If he was kidnapped, I think a ransom would have surfaced by now, and if he intentionally disappeared, well, idk how easy it would be to have him come back. Sadly I think this is likely a recovery case at this point .

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BRRI For This Useful Post:

Ugh, I hate to have to say I agree with boy BRRi and Derdew. Its been a week now and nothing. For me the one thing that is hard to accept is that no one saw or heard or knows anything, at least that the public knows of. You would thin there would be some sort of lead, but there doesn't seem to be anything. The family has got be just devasted by all of this. I feel so sad to think that the searches may end, and they may never, ever know.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to momthebomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRRI View Post
    Am I the only one who finds it a little strange that they are saying they don't want his past dug up, they don't want any speculation (even though the case is at a standstill), they are rejecting neighbor accounts of him....idk, for me, I would want every possible scenario investigated before anything is ruled out.
    I agree. God forbid I had a loved one missing, I would want as much out about them as possible. In the case of a missing person, anything and everything to keep their face in the public eye is good attention, IMO. Look at the Heather Elvis case, for example. A lot of the information that came out could have potentially placed Heather in a negative light, but at the end of the day, we're dealing with a victim and everyone's number goal is the same, to find them. I truly believe the amount of sensationalism in Heather's case is the reason we now have two suspects charged with murder.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nycgrl For This Useful Post:

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to margarita25 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by margarita25 View Post
    o/t Was Bryce Laspisa ever found? TIA
    I don't believe so. http://findbrycelaspisa.com/

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EdinburghLass For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by margarita25 View Post
    o/t Was Bryce Laspisa ever found? TIA

Still no Bryce he is a closed thread!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissUnderstood For This Useful Post:

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/f...ed-in-Hoboken?

Interested observers continued to ask questions on an internet Websleuthing board here (with a link to this thread).

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jerseygirl48 For This Useful Post:

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jerseygirl48 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    Any building structure with public restrooms in the area where he may have diverted from his path to seek shelter due to the rain? May have bumped into trouble there.
    There was a case last summer of a runner from KC, Chad Rogers, who went out for a run and did not return home. His body was found a few days later in a portable toilet and he had died due to a heart condition. Apparently it isn't uncommon for people to feel the need to use the restroom when they start to experience heart pain/issues. Given all of the details of Andrew's disappearance, I don't really think this is the case with him but I thought I'd throw it out.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to davehead21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl48 View Post
    Thanks Jerseygirl for this. WHOA WHOA WHOA Does anyone else think it is a bit strange and premature that LE is totally discounting whether or not the 2 cases are linked? In the case that happened last month on St. Patty's Day, the guy was walking past Pier C on Sinatra Drive when 3 hoods came along, and for no reason tossed him into the river. LE is saying no connection and there is no one down there on the river front throwing people in. Im sorry, but it happened around the same time, same area, weekend night. for no apparent reason. How can they not look deeper intoi this?

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to momthebomb For This Useful Post:

The most telling thing from the latest article is that a camera captured him going into Pier A but not leaving the park. This leads to one of only two things: 1) He didn't leave the park and likely went to the water either via accident, on his own volition, or through a criminal act. Or 2) He did leave the park but the camera did not capture him doing so. The entrance to the park is wide, and without knowing exactly where the camera was pointed, it's possible he did leave without being seen.

I have a hard time believing if he went into the water, it was an accident. He was still early in his run, so taking a break seems a little unlikely to me. Also, the rails there are about 4ft high or so, I don't know, I just can't picture him going into the water by accident. I also think if he decided to harm himself, I do find it odd he would pick going into the river this way. The drop into the river is not high at all, so he would easily survive that, and suicide by drowning? That's a brutal way to do it. I know it's possible, especially if someone is not of sound mind, but it;s tough for me to comprehend right now

42. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NJGuy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NJGuy View Post
    The most telling thing from the latest article is that a camera captured him going into Pier A but not leaving the park. This leads to one of only two things: 1) He didn't leave the park and likely went to the water either via accident, on his own volition, or through a criminal act. Or 2) He did leave the park but the camera did not capture him doing so. The entrance to the park is wide, and without knowing exactly where the camera was pointed, it's possible he did leave without being seen.

I have a hard time believing if he went into the water, it was an accident. He was still early in his run, so taking a break seems a little unlikely to me. Also, the rails there are about 4ft high or so, I don't know, I just can't picture him going into the water by accident. I also think if he decided to harm himself, I do find it odd he would pick going into the river this way. The drop into the river is not high at all, so he would easily survive that, and suicide by drowning? That's a brutal way to do it. I know it's possible, especially if someone is not of sound mind, but it;s tough for me to comprehend right now
    thanks NJGuy I was really leaning towards an accident but hearing that the rails were that high - I agree with you that it would be difficult to fall. When I read the first article I posted a question - did they ever catch the people who were referenced as the ones who threw another man in the river on St. Paddy's day? I didn't know if these were friends of his who may have had too much to drink and thought it was funny or a random group. I see on the above post that group is mentioned again so my question remains .

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PLT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PLT View Post
    thanks NJGuy I was really leaning towards an accident but hearing that the rails were that high - I agree with you that it would be difficult to fall. When I read the first article I posted a question - did they ever catch the people who were referenced as the ones who threw another man in the river on St. Paddy's day? I didn't know if these were friends of his who may have had too much to drink and thought it was funny or a random group. I see on the above post that group is mentioned again so my question remains .

To my knowledge the people were never caught. At this point, I don't even think there are any suspects or photos of suspects. The kid was very lucky, suffered from hypothermia but was generally ok. I'm also wondering if the cameras captured anyone else in the park that night. As mentioned earlier, the weather was terrible that night Andrew went missing, so the park was likely empty. Did cameras capture anyone leaving the park around the time he was in it? Wish we had some more answers.

46. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NJGuy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by davehead21 View Post
    There was a case last summer of a runner from KC, Chad Rogers, who went out for a run and did not return home. His body was found a few days later in a portable toilet and he had died due to a heart condition. Apparently it isn't uncommon for people to feel the need to use the restroom when they start to experience heart pain/issues. Given all of the details of Andrew's disappearance, I don't really think this is the case with him but I thought I'd throw it out.
    Well, it's very possible that something medical could have happened, especially given the weather and potential dehydration (and given the time of night, exhaustion?). If he had not been training for a long time, it is a real possibility.

48. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BRRI For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by momthebomb View Post
    Thanks Jerseygirl for this. WHOA WHOA WHOA Does anyone else think it is a bit strange and premature that LE is totally discounting whether or not the 2 cases are linked? In the case that happened last month on St. Patty's Day, the guy was walking past Pier C on Sinatra Drive when 3 hoods came along, and for no reason tossed him into the river. LE is saying no connection and there is no one down there on the river front throwing people in. Im sorry, but it happened around the same time, same area, weekend night. for no apparent reason. How can they not look deeper intoi this?
    It almost seems like they are pushing it to "cold case" status already too. I still wonder what is on the video they are not releasing.

50. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BRRI For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast