888 users online (184 members and 704 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

NY - Mena Rezkalla, 17, Syracuse, 29 March 2014

Superintendent: Alexandria Central foreign exchange student missing -

ALEXANDRIA BAY —
    A 17-year-old foreign exchange student went missing this weekend during a trip to Destiny USA in Syracuse, according to his school. Alexandria Central School District Superintendent Kyle L. Faulkner said the unidentified boy went missing during a trip to the mall Saturday. He said the trip was not a school function. “The authorities have been contacted,” Mr. Faulkner said.
    http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...WS09/703319877
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

They need to release a picture!

This school is right up the road from me. I can't figure out how the host family mom left Syracuse without him being with her? Did she report him missing while she was at the mall still? The mall is about 1 1/2 hour from where they live. Where is the photo? Did he have a cell phone? Money? WTH?
    "The opinion prevailed among advanced minds that it was time that belief should be replaced increasingly by knowledge; belief that did not itself rest on knowledge was superstition, and as such had to be opposed." - Albert Einstein

We have a name - Mena Rezkalla, Egyptian exchange student...

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Emb...253227071.html

Wandered away from the group on his own...

ETA:video with pic at link

We had another of these in the last year or two didn't we? Indian or Korean I think? And I think also no name/details released....and also at a mall.

Anyone remember details? Or even if he (pretty sure it was a male in that case also) was found?

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...stiny_usa.html

Still no photo at all! WTH? How are we supposed to keep an eye out for this young man if we do not even know what he looks like? Seriously?

ETA - Got a photo! A better story too.

http://www.localsyr.com/story/d/stor...n0Se_OzXcjvLWg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The opinion prevailed among advanced minds that it was time that belief should be replaced increasingly by knowledge; belief that did not itself rest on knowledge was superstition, and as such had to be opposed." - Albert Einstein

Cny Central.com - Missing Egyptian exchange student boarded bus to New York City

Syracuse Police say surveillance pictures from the Regional Transportation Center caught 17-year-old Mena Rezkalla from Egypt getting onto the bus on his own.
    News Channel 9 - Police: Exchange student missing from North Country school district boarded bus to NYC on his own

An exchange student who disappeared from a trip to Destiny USA left the Central New York area on his own, according to Syracuse Police.
    Sryacuse.com - Missing Egyptian exchange student boarded bus to New York City, police say

Syracuse police said Mena Rezkalla, a Jefferson County student from Egypt, got on a bus to New York City on his own. The bus departed from the Regional Transportation Center in Syracuse.
    R.I.P Jenni-Lyn Watson

"The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children." ~Dietrich Bonhoeffer
    "From the deepest desires often come the deadliest hate." ~Socrates

Just saw the update about the bus to NYC. I wonder if he is trying to go home. NYC is really not a great place for a teenager who is not familiar with the area. Hope that he is okay and that he has contacted his parents.

I heard two rumors today - complete opposites. One I that he is trying to get home and the other that he is avoiding going home. Either way I pray for his safety in the city.

Clearer picture (though still from a distance) here - http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...olice_say.html

Curious what makes them say this the way they clearly seem to be emphasizing it...

About 11 a.m. Saturday, Mr. Rezkalla separated himself from the group, which apparently included the mother of his host family, Syracuse police Sgt. Thomas Connellan said Monday.

I assume it is just a word choice and no real emphasis intended - JMO.

Having been part of a foreign exchange program where a participant "defected"(ie. ran away in an attempt to stay) that was my first guess as well. Still hoping he is safe, a lot of these kids don't understand the huge implications of their decisions. I know my friend certainly didn't.

Has he been found in NYC? No respect for program he is in, worrying host parents, spending LE resources, our tax$, IMO revoke visa now.

Nothing new that I can find today. Are they even looking for him in NYC?

He could be anywhere in the US by now. NYC is a huge transportation hub, especially if he took something like Megabus (which stops in Syracuse) and was transferring. Megabus can be super cheap too if you buy your ticket in advance. I got a roundtrip ticket from NY to Boston for $2 once..

I wonder when his visa was to expire? I may be wrong, but I assume it's not easy to get a visa from Egypt to the US. Or to get it renewed.

Did he have friends from Egypt staying anywhere in the US?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast