NC - Junior Allen freed after 35 years "lost in the system"

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
After spending more than half of his life behind bars for stealing a television set, 65-year-old Junior Allen walked out of prison Friday -- a free man at last.

A Johnston County jury convicted Allen in 1970 of second-degree burglary for stealing a black-and-white TV worth $140. He was sentenced to life in prison.

If he committed the same crime today, he might be sentenced to probation.

Allen's attorney, Richard Rosen, said he believes Allen's case became lost in the judicial system.

http://www.nbc17.com/news/4542014/detail.html

sharon25 said:
wow,
that's horrible!!!

Especially considering the case that was featured here a few days ago.

Robert Laplante, 46, pleaded guilty to a total of 371 counts related to child *advertiser censored* involving at least nine known victims from 1996 to 2004.

Connon sentenced Laplante to a six- to nine-year state prison term. In doing so he exceeded the state's recommended sentencing guidelines.

The guidelines call for a sentence of 40 to 60 months, roughly 3 1/2 to five years.

Connon also ordered Laplante to be on 10 years' probation upon release from prison with the highest level of supervision possible

And he is still on 5 years probabtion!

The parole commision tries to allude that he had some behavoir problems "in the past" or while in prison...

Hmmm Spending ones lifetime in prison with killers and rapists who get out LOOOOOONG before you would maybe P*SS someone off from time to time???

I don't mean to bring race into this but 1970 NC??
I knew before I ever opened the link that he wasn't caucasion.
IMO that had a lot to do with getting life over 140$ TV
I wonder how many african americans sat on that jury?? I also wonder the race of the person who's tv was stolen?

MaryKate said:

The parole commision tries to allude that he had some behavoir problems "in the past" or while in prison...

Hmmm Spending ones lifetime in prison with killers and rapists who get out LOOOOOONG before you would maybe P*SS someone off from time to time???

I wonder how many african americans sat on that jury?? I also wonder the race of the person who's tv was stolen?
Wow,

It makes you wonder if there are other people out there
who really shouldn't be in prison anymore but are "lost".
Stealing is wrong, yes, but he basically lost his life over it :(

MaryKate said:

I also wonder how much $ was spent to keep this man in prison (probably a bit more than 140- as well as how many pedos and rapists went through the revolving door.
Absolutely disgusting.

golfmom said:
Especially considering the case that was featured here a few days ago.

Robert Laplante, 46, pleaded guilty to a total of 371 counts related to child *advertiser censored* involving at least nine known victims from 1996 to 2004.

Connon sentenced Laplante to a six- to nine-year state prison term. In doing so he exceeded the state's recommended sentencing guidelines.

The guidelines call for a sentence of 40 to 60 months, roughly 3 1/2 to five years.

Connon also ordered Laplante to be on 10 years' probation upon release from prison with the highest level of supervision possible

Golfmom, when I posted this I wondered how many baby rapers they let out in the 35 yrs. this guy was in.
Yes this was probably a racially motivated problem. 1960's and 1970's in N.C. was not a safe time/place for black people.

He didnt just steal a TV..........he broke in and beat the woman nearly to death.
Her daughter(who is black) has spoken out about this all over the place here in NC.He was a drug addict,w/ a record,who robbed and viciously beat a woman.
Did others who had "worse" crimes serve less time-yes *BUT* he was kept in jail for a reason.............Locally there is alot more info out about this and its NOT racial(the victim was black).The crime was henious.
Its not fair murders got out sooner but I wouldnt lose any sleep over this guy serving time.............

messiecake said:
He didnt just steal a TV..........he broke in and beat the woman nearly to death.
Her daughter(who is black) has spoken out about this all over the place here in NC.He was a drug addict,w/ a record,who robbed and viciously beat a woman.
Did others who had "worse" crimes serve less time-yes *BUT* he was kept in jail for a reason.............Locally there is alot more info out about this and its NOT racial(the victim was black).The crime was henious.
Its not fair murders got out sooner but I wouldnt lose any sleep over this guy serving time.............
Thanks for the clarification messiecake, it will help prevent this "alleged miscarriage of justice" from going very much further. It certainly helps to know the whole story.

Funny how the media manages to leave out a few very salient facts when they report a story. Without that little oversight, they wouldn't have a story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back