947 users online (190 members and 757 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - Susan Bazeley, 61, San Diego, 2 April 2014

They've already had multiple search teams out looking for this missing San Diego gal.

She's 61, named Susan Bazeley, and from Rancho Santa Fe (a bit further north, and a bit more coastal - well, much of it - from where her car was found, and a predominantly very well off area)

http://www.10news.com/news/sheriffs-...ign=mastertwtr

She didn't show up at work at this am - reported to be very out of character for her.

Got the first call at 6 pm (guessing maybe when she also never returned home playing into all of that, also?) and had teams out shortly after that.

Her car was found in Rancho Penasquitos (so, like I said, a bit south and a bit more inland) from RSF. You'd probably also see people refer to it as "PQ" if you've got locals around.

It was found at the lot in Canyonside Community Park, but that bumps up against the Los Pen Preserve, so she could well be in that area also. The park is more typical "park," plus a stable/horse trails area, and then the preserve - more open space.

That's where they've got the SAR Command Post set up.

Her car was found near 12350 Black Mountain Rd., where a command post has now been set up.
    Here's a link to where her car was found (the Black Mountain Road address) so you can look at the area/terrain, but also linked to Rancho Santa Fe - but even beyond the three ways it gives you the option of routing, there are certainly several others, which would vary depending on where in RSF she actually lived, etc.
    Last edited by TravelingBug; 04-03-2014 at 01:29 AM.

We've had cold (for us - especially based on how fall/winter/spring have gone for us this year!) weather the last 36 or so hours.

Rain and even hail (and it's only like our 3rd rain of the year, so that's also notable - and hail is quite uncommon for us) so that may be playing into the concern and why they've got so many jumping on this so quickly.

It'd really be a rather odd day for someone to go walking/hiking/running/riding (San Diegans are, by and large, pretty wimpy weather wise - even if we're "transplants" from other places!) especially if it's someone who is very responsible and wouldn't typically miss/skip work.

Busy day for SD LE...

While SDSO is trying to find this Susan, SDPD is investigating a suspicious death a few miles south in Linda Vista, where a young man was found dead this am. That's further south near USD (University of San Diego).

This particular article makes it sound more like he may have been hit by a car, everything else earlier (and most other stations) seemed to be indicating him likely being dumped there and killed elsewhere. Given he apparently lived right there (since this source is saying the landlord knows who it is and he rented this guy/his family recently) it seems like either could be probable.

Not at all insinuating I think there's any chance there's any connection, just that it is a little unusual for San Diego, and in a small window of time, and mostly saying I suppose it's good they're in different agencies so both can be getting the resources they need in the critical early stages of investigating both (well, and hopefully in finding Susan)

But also saying the quick deployment of this degree of resources for a missing adult is also a bit unusual (in Susan's case).

For those who followed it, in some ways there are parallels to the Chelsea King location and where Susan is missing - community park area, but a preserve and trails that can be popular for running/hiking/biking/walking/horseback riding backing up to it.

Both also not far off a freeway (15 in CK's case) and the 56 (and to a slightly lesser extent) the 15 also in Susan's case, requiring only a very brief jog onto a pretty heavily traveled surface street to get to the lot where they parked)

Also just worth mentioning, about a year ago we had a gentleman also go missing in a canyon-ish area pretty near this. Again, likely unrelated, but just for context. Ralf Peeks is his name.

More:

The woman’s husband reported her missing about 5:50 p.m., saying it was highly unusual for her to not go to work, Lisk said.

<snip>

Deputies, a helicopter crew, family and friends were joined by search and rescue volunteers who planned to check hiking trails.
    Didn't say what led to them locating her car where they did.

Guessing they must have had reason to think she may go there because otherwise it seems very odd, as no one would have known to have been looking prior to have thought it odd...unless maybe it's a lot they lock at sunset and so security notified them. I can't remember for sure - and can't drive to look at the moment. I do think part of the lot gets closed with like a swinging gate, if I remember correctly, but I think that's the area nearer the Los Pen Preserve part itself and NOT the park parking lot, which is where I believe her car was found from all I've heard.

And still more:

So presumably her husband knew she was missing all day since she works for him.

A website for Tecnadyne Inc., a Rancho Santa Fe engineering firm, describes Bazeley as an employee. Her husband, Andrew Bazeley, owns the company, which makes parts used in underwater research vessels.

Lisk said it wasn’t know if there was anything suspicious about Bazeley’s disappearance.
    Apparently they don't drive to work together (which wouldn't totally shock me, to be honest) since it was said she left for work but didn't go there:

Susan Bazeley left her Rancho Santa Fe home in the morning and didn’t go to work as expected or return home, sheriff’s Lt. Clayton Lisk said.
    And it does seem like it was once she wasn't home at the end of the day that he called.

However, it does make me wonder, if it's odd for her not to show up to work, and he (presumably, since they work together - unless there are multiple sites or one or the other doesn't necessarily work IN the office) knew she never went to work and that's very out of character, if she HAS done this before, otherwise why wait all day to alert someone?

Again, unless one or the other isn't necessarily onsite at the same location throughout the day. Also certainly possible.

And now a picture - yay!

Plus clothing/description - definitely not suitable for walking in that area in, especially in this weather!

Bazeley is described as 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighing 135 pounds. She was wearing a dark brown cardigan and grey pants.
    (Leading story on 10 - KGTV - if you're local...per their teaser - and saying race against the weather to find her)

They've got some better ones on air so hoping they put them up.

Updates from KGTV on air:

*Pinged her phone to find the car.
    *All belongings, including purse, found in car.
    *Last heard from midday - (that's definitely news) and that husband and son reported her missing.

Again reiterating how unusual this would be for her.

And reiterating concern about the weather/cold.

Family/friends helping search w/ flashlights.

But oddly, keeping media QUITE far back from the CP (command post) - which seems odd since clearly not concern of civilians searching...not sure what to make of that.

KFMB saying that she lives in 4S Ranch (very odd...that's not RSF)

Saying that she told her husband she was going shopping at UTC (Westfield University Town Center - more La Jolla area...which fits more with her living in Rancho Santa Fe like everything else stated) before coming in to work and then never showed up.

Yet again reiterating this is VERY out of character.

(Guess the possible explanation for concern not arising until later could be explained by the fact that they seem to have now had a reason for why she wasn't going in at the expected time - or not having a "stopover" en route to work or something)

How far is she from Susan?

Quote Originally Posted by concernedmother View Post
    How far is she from Susan?
    Very far... (assuming you mean the one who's FB page was basically scrubbed this week?) Susan Jacobson (sen?)I mean?

8 hours or so. She's much, much further north of this Susan.

(A lot of missing Roberts this past year and a lot of missing Susans - odd)
    Last edited by TravelingBug; 04-03-2014 at 03:21 AM.

Just saw the posting about Susan on FB. I'm a SD local, actually really close to PQ.

If she is still outside I am very worried for her, it was a windy chilly day for SD.

I wonder if she is missing by choice and used the excuse of shopping to buy herself time to get away.

I'll be watching this story and hoping for the best outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EmiLove832 View Post
    Just saw the posting about Susan on FB. I'm a SD local, actually really close to PQ.

If she is still outside I am very worried for her, it was a windy chilly day for SD.

I wonder if she is missing by choice and used the excuse of shopping to buy herself time to get away.

I'll be watching this story and hoping for the best outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It just seems so odd she'd leave all her stuff in the car...unless perhaps she'd stashed cash and so at least has some resources (and maybe bought other clothes, perhaps, while at UTC)

And SUCH an odd place to go today, like you also said, it's been darn cold for us the last few days.

I'm also very close to PQ and sitting and typing here my fingers, especially, are SO, SO cold!

I'm afraid the best case scenario could be that she went there to meet someone - whether just a friend (in which case likely leaving to clear her heard or something) or another person (in which case leaving likely to "start a new life" or something) b/c in that case I'd not be as worried about the car there w/ all her belongings (and her inadequate clothing!)

I hope Astrea is up again tomorrow...but if (assuming that's what helicopter they're referring to - b/c otherwise it'd not be an SDSO copter) they didn't find her using FLIR tonight, it'll be more difficult come morning.

Astrea's "bedtime" is usually about 3 am or slightly earlier, with them also typically up 10 pm - midnight, then down for crew change/fuel, and up again 1 am - 3 am, then not up again until later in the morning.

ABLE (SDPD copter) typically keeps similar hours.

I guess they could also have called out Copter 2 or one of the others, but that'd be more unusual given the location and also not being like a rescue type situation at this point.

If she's not found tomorrow, when I'm able to I'll get on the scanner and make a thread downstairs and post anything relevant. I probably won't be able to do much until later in the day, but I may be able to do some in the am, also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast