Missing Alaska man found dead in his home after a year

TrackerSam

Reaction score
An Alaska man missing for more than a year was found dead in his home on Monday, according to Anchorage Police. The home had been occupied by renters for nearly a year, but they apparently had no idea the body was in the home, police said.

Myren said McAlpine's ex-wife, Christine, detected a foul odor when she came to clean and show the apartment to potential new tenants.

She discovered her ex-husband's body in a small storage space under the stairs.

Attempts to reach her Wednesday were unsuccessful.

Police, who do not suspect foul play, think McAlpine died before the tenants moved in.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/02/justice/alaska-missing-man/index.html?hpt=ju_c2

The guy was at home and the cops couldn't find him?

Did the tenants that rented for a year ever complain about a foul odor?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25...-dead-ex-wife-stairwell-house-rented-out.html

"...Shell said it wasn't clear if the renters spent much, if any, time in the home.

'I don’t know how often they were at the house,' she said. 'Obviously this would have started to smell relatively quickly. I don’t know if they were deployed; I don’t have those details.'..."

Bizarre case indeed. If I was a renter there... I'd check out all available space---just out of curiosity, if nothing else. A space under a stairs can come in handy for storing things used infrequently, like suitcases and such.
Still a little suspicious that the cops seem to accept that McAlpine just crawled in the space and died.
MOO

From the CNN link above:

McAlpine was going through a divorce at the time and had moved out of the home he shared with his now ex-wife, Myren said. "They were unable to sell the home, so she rented it out to tenants."

Those tenants moved in to the McAlpine home around April 1, 2013, and recently moved out.

Myren said McAlpine's ex-wife, Christine, detected a foul odor when she came to clean and show the apartment to potential new tenants.

So they were getting a divorce. He moved out of the marital home, which they were unable to sell.

Two weeks after he goes missing, and no one can find him, his wife rents their house out. He's dead under the stairs.

New tenants live there for a year and never find him or smell decomp.

They recently moved out, and when the wife is cleaning it in preparation for new tenants, she now smells the decomp, a whole year later, and finds the body.

That don't make noooooo sense.

He was already moved out. Why did he go back to the house and crawl into a little storage space to die?

Why didn't the new tenants ever look under the stairs? Did their landlord, the now ex Mrs. McAlpine have it locked and told her tenants her things were stored there? (I rented a house with that kind of an arrangement before.)

Why didn't the police or family search the marital home way back when it was first known he was missing?

Since they both still retained ownership of the house while it was being rented and he was missing, was the ex wife depositing his portion of the rent proceeds to his account? Or was she paying off their mortgage with the rental income? Why was no one looking into how she was handling his finances while they were divorced and he was missing. And was the divorce finalized without his signature, because they were only "going through" a divorce when he went missing and apparently it hadn't been finalized before he disappeared.

The apartments shown in the daily mail article calling it the "scene" are down the street from the actual house where this happened. I don't know why they showed the apartments, the house is very easy to find.

One of the articles said the tenants were military. If they were deployed they may have only used it as storage space for their stuff and not actually lived there.

One of the articles said the tenants were military. If they were deployed they may have only used it as storage space for their stuff and not actually lived there.

But why not just get a storage locker? MUCH cheaper than renting a house, right? Wonder if the renters and the ex-wife have any type of previous relationship?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back