TN - Karen Swift, 44, murdered, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 *husband charged in 2022* #4

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Body identified as that of Swift, case being investigated as homicide
Tuesday, December 13, 2011 ~ Updated 6:56 AM
Dyersburg State Gazette

Dyer County Sheriff's Department investigators and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation are now working the case of Karen Swift as a murder investigation after her body was positively identified by the Shelby County Medical Examiner's Office on Sunday.

Dyer County Sheriff Jeff Box stated the body, which was found on Saturday, was able to be identified as Swift's through her dental records, which were sent along with her body to the medical examiner's office in Memphis.

Swift's body had reportedly been concealed in an area off of Harness Road until someone discovered it on Saturday. Box said the body had been concealed by undergrowth and vegetation for some time close to Bledsoe Cemetery, which lies off of Harness Road. The location where her body was found is approximately three miles northwest from where Swift's 2004 Nissan Murano was found abandoned with a reported flat tire at the intersection of Millsfield Highway and Harness Road on Sunday, Oct. 30.

Thread #3

Thanks Bessie for the new thread.

Not much happening in this case, and it would be interesting to know what those involved in both LE and DA's office are thinking...

Could this be one of those cases where LE has only so much evidence, and it's not enough for a DA to go forward with?

Just moving over! Still awaiting justice. I do hope that there is a lot more behind the scenes and that an arrest will eventually be made. Maybe they are waiting for that last piece of the puzzle.

The only missing piece IMO would be if someone came forward out of the blue to say they saw something... has happened, though rare, in other cases.
Don't know of any new forensics like we saw in the past where great strides were made in DNA...

Posts of Kadence & Cocomod - Brought Over From Last Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadence View Post
More from your article Foxfire (thanks!):

Bill Warner states:

"I have been hired by a friend of the family to investigate the murder of Karen Swift in Dyersburg TN. Zach Adams charged with1st Degree Murder and Kidnapping of Holly Bobo, does Zach Adams Link to Murder of Karen Swift in nearby Dyersburg TN, is he a serial killer? "

I don't know anything about Bill Warner, is he legit? I know that he has been mentioned in Lauren Spierer's thread a few times.

So Zach Adams is a meth maker (user as well?) and a murderer (serial killer?)? Yikes!
Still waiting for justice for Karen!

Kadence, not sure if ZA is a serial killer, but he sure has the necessary traits & tendancies of a serial sexual predator, imo. ZA's rap sheet confirms that he is a meth maker/dealer & frequent meth user as well as other drugs.

Originally Posted by cocomod:

Personally, I take what Mr. Warner says with a grain of salt. He has tried to link way too many cases together that have absolutely nothing in common. He is a bit of a cook in my honest opinion only.

However, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. I.Keyes certainly proved that point to me.

Cocomod, I also take what PI Bill Warner says with a grain of salt, and agree that he has tried to link way too many cases together. Imo, his motive for this is to attract ms media attention. Seems to be working, huh?

I disagree that they have absolutely nothing in common. The commonality is that they all fit the preferred/ideal victim profile of many sexual predators/serial killers. The geographical distances, circumstances of each disappearance, and other factors would indicate foul play involving several different perps in most of the cases, imo. This is not to say that none of PI Warner's missing victim cases are not related...imo

ZA, was a hunter, a professional; a malignant psychopathic sexual predator and due to the ruthless abduction and aftermath in HB's case, imo. It is highly unlikely that HB was his first, last, or only innocent victim taken, imo..

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/investigators/serial_killers.html#4

4. Victim Selection
How does a serial killer select victims? The traditional school of thought holds that generally they select victims based on certain physical and/or personal characteristics. This assertion presupposes that, within the mind of each serial killer, there evolves synthesis of preferred characteristics and, ultimately, a clear, specific picture of his "ideal" victim, be it male or female, black or white, young or old, short or tall, large busted or small, shy or forward, and so on. Then, when that "typical" serial killer begins an active search for human prey, he will go to certain lengths to capture and victimize only those individuals who closely fit the mold.

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/investigators/serial_killers.html

Serial Killers - A Homicide Detective's Take
By Lieutenant Nelson Andreu (Retired)
Miami Police Department

Credentials and Interest
Common Knowledge
Genesis of a Serial Killer
Victim Selection
Victim Objectification
Denouement
Case Histories

Regarding what lies ahead with DNA -

DNA FORENSICS: PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE

http://www.bioforensics.com/conference04/Welcome/crow2.pdf

Toward the bottom of this paper, I found most interesting:
In the near future we can expect that genes for eye
pigment, hair color, baldness, skin pigment, color-blindness, albinism, and others will have been identified.
This is an area that is being intensively researched at present. It would be rash to predict, but it seems
likely that a profile that could be useful in the search for suspects will be found in the near future.

Did I say earlier, on the last thread that someone was "reaching?" Trying to say that maybe, just maybe Zach Adams is responsible for Karen Swift's death. Because he allegedly abducted Holly in the morning (daylight, I might add) and the other girl he allegedly attempted to abduct in the morning?? Karen went missing between 2am--6am. So therefore these cases MUST be related?? Remember that little seed Farese planted about Karen & some of "the strange things that were occurring in her life" at the time of her disappearance? I'm not saying my opinion is the right one, but I strongly believe her killer was very close and had means, motive and opportunity to kill her, dump her close to home in the wee span of the morning when only one daughter was supposed to be home and sleeping. The older daughter called Mom to come get her from the party and I believe (JMO) that was a surprise to Dad.

It is Also JMO that there is an agenda to create reasonable doubt and Zach Adams is quite convenient. Interesting that Steve Farese is involved in both cases. Still no arrest, to me, speaks quite clearly of not enough evidence and the DA will not call for a grand jury indictment. Very similar to the Josh Powell/Susan Powell case and countless others with not enough evidence. My opinion is this crime was definitely premeditated, all bases were covered----otherwise I think we would be much farther along with an arrest & a trial in the works. I pray that Justice will be done for Karen.

My opinion is this was a simple case of domestic homicide.

Bumpin' for Karen! Someone has to know something! Anyone see someone buy something they don't normally buy, see them someplace they aren't ordinarily, hear them say something weird? If you're reading, please report it, YOU might be the key to solving who killed Karen.

Did I say earlier, on the last thread that someone was "reaching?" Trying to say that maybe, just maybe Zach Adams is responsible for Karen Swift's death. Because he allegedly abducted Holly in the morning (daylight, I might add) and the other girl he allegedly attempted to abduct in the morning?? Karen went missing between 2am--6am. So therefore these cases MUST be related?? Remember that little seed Farese planted about Karen & some of "the strange things that were occurring in her life" at the time of her disappearance? I'm not saying my opinion is the right one, but I strongly believe her killer was very close and had means, motive and opportunity to kill her, dump her close to home in the wee span of the morning when only one daughter was supposed to be home and sleeping. The older daughter called Mom to come get her from the party and I believe (JMO) that was a surprise to Dad.

It is Also JMO that there is an agenda to create reasonable doubt and Zach Adams is quite convenient. Interesting that Steve Farese is involved in both cases. Still no arrest, to me, speaks quite clearly of not enough evidence and the DA will not call for a grand jury indictment. Very similar to the Josh Powell/Susan Powell case and countless others with not enough evidence. My opinion is this crime was definitely premeditated, all bases were covered----otherwise I think we would be much farther along with an arrest & a trial in the works. I pray that Justice will be done for Karen.

My opinion is this was a simple case of domestic homicide.

I've been building an on-going a list of "red flags" from cases I've followed in which a missing wife is killed by her husband.

Here's my list, interesting to see how many fit in this case. May just be a coincidence..

Divorce in process with looming custody battle.

Husband known to be very controlling/jealous (always checking where spouse is, what spouse is doing whenever apart.

Husband has other love interest(s).

No one other than husband can confirm actual time wife went missing.

Husband is the only person who can say what that took place when victim left.

Husband has recent bruises, injuries indicative of a fight, or encountered during moving/hiding of body.

Family/others who are normally around or live with victim are away when victim goes missing.

Distancing - for example; when a husband says he did not actually speak to or see his wife leave the house.

Disconnection - when a spouse does not seem to know what's going on in his/her relationship....

Changing account of things as new evidence come in..

Victim goes missing while doing something out of their normal routine, or what they wouldn't normally do - - examples; just up and going out for a walk.... worse if late at night; running an errand late at night.

Estranged wife returns to house where husband lives, and she is not seen since and husband says working reconciliation.

No surveillance camera sightings to confirm places/times victim should be based upon missing person report.

NOT volunteering to take a lie detector test.

NOT offering LE entry to look through home.

Leaving house and/or moving to a different state, or traveling after spouse goes missing.

Discarding clothing, etc, of spouse who's gone missing soon after spouse goes missing.

Painting, new rugs, lots of cleaning in home/car after person goes missing.

I've been building an on-going a list of "red flags" from cases I've followed in which a missing wife is killed by her husband.

Here's my list, interesting to see how many fit in this case. May just be a coincidence..

Divorce in process with looming custody battle.

Husband known to be very controlling/jealous (always checking where spouse is, what spouse is doing whenever apart.

Husband has other love interest(s).

No one other than husband can confirm actual time wife went missing.

Husband is the only person who can say what that took place when victim left.

Husband has recent bruises, injuries indicative of a fight, or encountered during moving/hiding of body.

Family/others who are normally around or live with victim are away when victim goes missing.

Distancing - for example; when a husband says he did not actually speak to or see his wife leave the house.

Disconnection - when a spouse does not seem to know what's going on in his/her relationship....

Changing account of things as new evidence come in..

Victim goes missing while doing something out of their normal routine, or what they wouldn't normally do - - examples; just up and going out for a walk.... worse if late at night; running an errand late at night.

Estranged wife returns to house where husband lives, and she is not seen since and husband says working reconciliation.

No surveillance camera sightings to confirm places/times victim should be based upon missing person report.

NOT volunteering to take a lie detector test.

NOT offering LE entry to look through home.

Leaving house and/or moving to a different state, or traveling after spouse goes missing.

Discarding clothing, etc, of spouse who's gone missing soon after spouse goes missing.

Painting, new rugs, lots of cleaning in home/car after person goes missing.

I might add one I can think of!

Didn't help in search of his wife

No public plea from the Husband

Lawyered Up in the first few days. Oops.....more than one!

I thought in this age of forensics, that people couldn't just kill someone and go ahead with their life. But in this case, it appears LE has shown their highest card to be a zero. It's a shame and disgrace. Karen's family has remained so quiet, and I wish someone would do an interview with her mother and sister.

Excellent list, Old Steve.

I might add one I can think of!

Didn't help in search of his wife

No public plea from the Husband

Lawyered Up in the first few days. Oops.....more than one!

Thanks for those items! I've added them to my list for future reference.

Geez, it's been THREE years, maddening! I only lurk on this thread, but check often...I pray that this can be resolved...

It is interesting to me that Kelli's case was finally solved. IF the suspect's confession is at all correct, there should have been definite forensic evidence. My point... Was there evidence in Karen's case as well, but just not enough to charge??

OldSteve, your list is fantastic and so spot-on! Thank you,

Justice for Karen!!

I thought in this age of forensics, that people couldn't just kill someone and go ahead with their life. But in this case, it appears LE has shown their highest card to be a zero. It's a shame and disgrace. Karen's family has remained so quiet, and I wish someone would do an interview with her mother and sister.

Agreed! A shame and a disgrace that no one has been arrested for Karen's murder! I wish Dateline, ID, or 48 Hours would pick up Karen's story, as well as Katelyn Markham's - does anyone know how to go about that?

Just my little 2 cents on this case but I live in TN maybe about an hour away from Dyersburg (hope to be moving away for good soon, not from here) The town I live in is much bigger, grown a lot in last 10 years and if Dyersburg (which has been my gut feeling from the start) is anything like the town I'm in, the police, judges, LE, all of them are part of the "good ole boy" club , they know families, protect who they chose to protect, right or wrong... some get paid under the table for what they do, etc, etc..... It would not surprise me one bit if that is what is happening in this case, RIP Karen, may God Bless your children always...

I don't think there has been a "payoff" at all. I think it's a simple case of domestic homicide, it was well-planned & executed and someone had time to clean up. I think the problem here is lack of evidence or purely circumstantial evidence and reluctance on the part of the District Attorney to call a grand jury. My guess is he knows he's up against a formidable opponent in Steve Farese & Co. And doesn't want to lose. And who knows......maybe there is enough evidence to proceed. We've witnessed a lot of other cases with a lot of circumstantial evidence that resulted in convictions. In my heart, I think they have enough to go after the person who did this. I'm sure LE knows who killed Karen, but they have to prove it. We know the last person known to have seen Karen. A person who had means, motive & ample opportunity.

My mom, close friend of Karen's, made "justice for Karen" signs made. On memorial day they went to Dyersburg and put signs around. They asked permission where needed. Cops started taking them down as soon as the put them up. They confiscated 4 of them and my mom only kept 2 that they personally took down. My mom was so upset and is not going to let this go. The State Gazette has contacted her and many in Dyersburg who are infuriated are making signs to put in their yard. Politics? Maybe, but this was not a political move. WHY did they take them down. Very suspicious and maddening. My mom just didn't want people to forget about Karen. :(

My mom, close friend of Karen's, made "justice for Karen" signs made. On memorial day they went to Dyersburg and put signs around. They asked permission where needed. Cops started taking them down as soon as the put them up. They confiscated 4 of them and my mom only kept 2 that they personally took down. My mom was so upset and is not going to let this go. The State Gazette has contacted her and many in Dyersburg who are infuriated are making signs to put in their yard. Politics? Maybe, but this was not a political move. WHY did they take them down. Very suspicious and maddening. My mom just didn't want people to forget about Karen. :(

I am so sorry for the loss of Karen. I am so confused as to why the police would say (geez.. was it over a year ago?) that they were close to taking this to a grand jury or solving this and yet here we all sit waiting.

Dotting the i and crossing the t takes a lot less time then what they were intimating but obviously they are awaiting something else to get Karen some justice.

I am so sorry for your loss and we will all be here with you waiting for an arrest or some sort of closure for Karen.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morbidlittlemind
Back