1037 users online (243 members and 794 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

NY - Jiwon Lee, 29, New York City, 1 April 2014

Jiwon Lee

Police: Dental student reported missing since Wednesday -

According to the police report, she was last seen near her residence at 220 West 98th St. at 8:30 p.m. on April 1. A New York Police Department spokesperson confirmed over the phone Friday night that police are still looking for Lee.
    Christiana Simon, had last been in contact with his missing sister on Tuesday night over the phone, while she was home. According to Simon, however, police tracked her last cell phone ping to a cell tower on 179th Street. She has also created a Facebook page with details of Lee's disappearance.
    http://www.columbiaspectator.com/new...sing-wednesday
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 05-05-2014 at 05:49 AM.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Police: Dental student reported missing since Wednesday

By CHRISTIAN ZHANG Spectator Senior Staff Writer
    April 4, 2014, 10:06pm
    Updated, 4/6 01:15 a.m.

<snipped>
    A New York Police Department spokesperson did not have updates as of Saturday night and said that police are still looking for Lee.

Fishy? Or fluke?

Jiwon Lee, 29, hasn’t been seen since leaving her apartment on Manhattan’s Upper West Side Tuesday night around 8.30 p.m., police said.

Lee last spoke with her brother and another person, whose phone number has since been disconnected, before she went missing, a friend told Gothamist.

The call lasted for half an hour until just before the last contact her phone had with a local cell tower her brother Matt Lee told MailOnline. The number tracks to Sacramento, California, and she had spoken with the person previously.
    This gal is just adorable - bright smile and warm eyes in every photo!

I hope she's found safely...the bridge thing and the odd phone call worry me.

Police last tracked her cell phone to West 179th Street, near the George Washington Bridge, through pings from cell towers, friend Kimberli Leal told MailOnline
    Based on everything everyone is saying about her, she seems very far from being the type of person who would just up and leave by choice, or the kind who would want to end her life (and yes, I realize that doesn't always show on the outside, but...)

Passed her boards, about to graduate, taught math to Jr High students (bless her heart!) through AmeriCorp, beloved by everyone who met her...

‘Jiwon is an exceptionally well respected leader in this nation in the dental community,’ he told MailOnline. ‘People adored her from the moment they met her.’

Fishy? Or fluke?

Jiwon Lee, 29, hasn’t been seen since leaving her apartment on Manhattan’s Upper West Side Tuesday night around 8.30 p.m., police said.

Lee last spoke with her brother and another person, whose phone number has since been disconnected, before she went missing, a friend told Gothamist.

The call lasted for half an hour until just before the last contact her phone had with a local cell tower her brother Matt Lee told MailOnline. The number tracks to Sacramento, California, and she had spoken with the person previously.
    This gal is just adorable - bright smile and warm eyes in every photo!

I hope she's found safely...the bridge thing and the odd phone call worry me.

Police last tracked her cell phone to West 179th Street, near the George Washington Bridge, through pings from cell towers, friend Kimberli Leal told MailOnline
    Based on everything everyone is saying about her, she seems very far from being the type of person who would just up and leave by choice, or the kind who would want to end her life (and yes, I realize that doesn't always show on the outside, but...)

Passed her boards, about to graduate, taught math to Jr High students (bless her heart!) through AmeriCorp, beloved by everyone who met her...heck, she's even a comedian (for some reason that cracked me up to read - I want her found and then to be my dentist! She'd keep you distracted the whole time! Ha ha)

‘Jiwon is an exceptionally well respected leader in this nation in the dental community,’ he told MailOnline. ‘People adored her from the moment they met her.’

Wait, so she's a comedienne as well?

NYC comedian Jiwon Lee missing since Tuesday -

She was last seen at 8:30pm on Tuesday April 1st at her apartment on W 98th street. Please call Crime Stoppers with any information 1-800-577-TIPS (8477). You can also submit tips by logging onto the Crime stoppers website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or by texting tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.
    http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...an_jinwon.html

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Lee was a staple in the New York City comedy scene before pursuing her career in dentistry. Her friends from the scene and from school began using social media over the weekend to circulate a Facebook page as a resource for information and updates on Lee.

http://www.metro.us/newyork/news/loc....A3ElXRRY.dpuf

http://newyoungcomedians.wordpress.c...nuary-14-2009/

So she talks to her brother Tues evening. Then is seen leaving her residence. Was she on the phone with the mysterious number in Sacramento at the time or after she was last seen?

Could the Sacramento # be a celk with a Sacramento area code or do we know that the phone was physically in Sacramento. Odd that it was subsequently 'disconnected'.

The last ping on or near the bridge...if she was abducted, it could have been tossed over the bridge.

Worried for the young lady with so much promise in her life.

Holy cow - they've raised over 25,000$ so far - in just about a day - to try to bring in more help to find her. Rare to see that type of response, let alone even an attempt to get the degree of help brought in so quickly (so good job all those trying to help get Jiwon home!)

She really IS clearly extremely loved! And it seems like they are VERY confident something has happened and there is no way she'd walk away from everything or kill herself.

Since this is from a fund raising site I'm excluding that and only including the great description of her.

I SO want a happy ending in this case...she has so much to offer!

Jiwon Lee is a wonderful student, friend, mentor, sister, and daughter. She was recently the President of the American Student Dental Student Association and is currently at 4th year at Columbia University School of Dental Medicine.

Many of you have had the pleasure of spending time with her and getting to know her. I hope her wit and playful sense of humor has in some way brightened your day on multiple occasions.

That's why it's all the more shocking that our beloved Jiwon has been missing since Tuesday 4/1. Her phone was last tracked to Washington heights, but her current whereabouts are unknown.

The NYPD has been hugely helpful, but understandably have many responsibilites to attend to. We would like to pursue hiring a private detective at this time in order to expedite and prioritize the search process.

With a grain of salt as it's the DM (so, so, so praying it's not true - and that if she attempted or threatened to earlier that it was long, long ago and not a current likelikhood)

Never mind that it's COMPLETELY contradictory to the first part:

Jiwon Lee, 29, hasn’t been seen since leaving her apartment on Manhattan’s Upper West Side Tuesday night around 8.30 p.m., police said and her family believe foul play is involved.

Investigators allegedly found a suicide note on a desk in Lee's apartment written out to her family.

Jiwon Lee, 29, hasn’t been seen since leaving her apartment on Manhattan’s Upper West Side Tuesday night around 8.30 p.m., police said and her family believe foul play is involved.

Investigators allegedly found a suicide note on a desk in Lee's apartment written out to her family.

Jiwon Lee had previously tried to take her own life with pills, an NYPD official told MailOnline..

'She wrote them all a letter that it was not their fault, she gave up on life,' said the cop.

Police are not sure how long ago the note was written, but do see it as an ominous sign.
    Again, if they think foul play, that doesn't fit with suicide...

And since it's relevant:

Police have searched the area with dogs and divers but have come up empty, said Matt Lee. A review of bridge surveillance footage also showed nothing, but the police source said that doesn't mean she didn't access the pedestrian walkway.

<snip>

A search of the harbor also has not turned up any trace of the missing woman, he added.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2yCc1kBXp
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Quoting the DM:

As of Sunday evening, police said they did not have updates on the case. A Daily Mail article published Sunday afternoon cited an “NYPD source” saying that investigators had found a suicide note in Lee's apartment, but police denied the reports when contacted.

Jiwon's family and friends are doing a master course in how TO proceed if you've got a missing loved one!

Not parading everyone out at once, but almost seeming to be strategic in timing things so they keep getting press.

Friends are everywhere posting posters, they're using social media, they're working (and complimenting!) with LE but they're also being proactive in bringing in more help. They're doing searches.

They've got friends talking about her to the media, then a few hours later the brother says more, then we're back to friends, then the fundraising site, now we've got her parents.

And it's not just in print, but visuals, which helps almost write half the article itself for the media making them more inclined to update their stories because they can throw in a new picture, add the latest details, and not have to do much more, yet it creates another route of media attention on Jiwon with each of those releases.

They're being realistic that they're concerned, yet also being hopeful. They're acknowledging she's struggled in the past, yet they're also painting a picture of who she is, making people more invested in her case and getting on board wanting to help.

It's really, really quite impressive to me and a testimony, too, of how many lives Jiwon has touched and how she's drawn people in, because even for those just coming to know her through this see it.

That said...here's her folks:

And some things being checked out - or things they're wanting to find out more about.

Especially troubling to the family, is a 30 minute call Jiwon made the night she disappeared.

“We think that’s very suspicious,” said Matt Lee.

The NYPD is checking out that lead, as well as others that have to do with two men Jiwon may have been seeing, according to her brother.
    That's the first we've heard about 2 men, isn't it?

And I'm curious if the family knows who that phone call was to. Obviously they can't do much with it now since it's disconnected, but I wonder if they're aware of the owner of the number or just that it was one she'd called before (guessing they may know that from phone records?)

As someone pointed out, it's likely a cell, so although it's a Sacramento #, the person could theoretically be anywhere.

I'm not sure if I take the carefully worded comments about that call as them not knowing a thing (as in even gender) of the individual or perhaps not wanting to say much to maybe not tip their hand or something.

And...two big days coming up for Jiwon - praying she's back for both of them! A big birthday and her graduation!

The family had been planning a big birthday celebration for Jiwon who turns 30 on April 21. A month later she is set to graduate from dental school.
    Read more: http://pix11.com/2014/04/06/distraug...#ixzz2yDGD0Jwb

179th Street is very close to the entrance of the New York side of the George Washington Bridge which connects Washington Heights to Fort Lee, NJ. I've walked the pedestrian walkway of this bridge many times as bridge walking is a hobby of mine. The railing is very low in comparison to other bridges' walkways that are usually protected by an additional higher fence. Sadly, this makes jumping over this particular bridge that much easier.

Here's to you Jiwon. May this lead to your safe return home. We care about you.

I saw people on facebook sharing her missing page.
    I'm super concerned with the 30 minute phone call to a now disconnected number before she disappeared and I believe that has something to do with her disappearance. I wonder if they checked cameras at the W 96th subway station on Broadway. Where she lived off Broadway, is a VERY busy area, especially at 8:30 pm.
    My guess is she went up to Washington Heights to meet whoever she was on the phone with. Washington Heights is NOT a good area for a female after dark, IMO.
    I hope they search Fort Tryon Park.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast