Kurt at 20: thoughts? / Cobain 1994-2014

An opinion piece I read today mentions that he is the last "rock star." I've been thinking that may be true. I can't think of another musician who has been as iconic since he passed. The rappers are the rock stars now but who? Eminem? There may not be anyone else since Cobain who caused such a wave in musical culture as he did. JMO

What Kurt & the gang did -- besides of course produce some of the most amazing rock and roll in the last 50 years -- was pack in the powder, force the box "music" stores into stocking that which had influenced Nir-bleeping-vana: suddenly we in the flyover states had oodles of, yes, urgh, Melvins but, much more, good grunge, and also plenty-a divine Leadbelly & Vaselines....it set a stage for raising one's music conscientiousness not in land-miles traveled to pick up sonic nuances, a convenience of sound purchased nearby...

It was as important, and perhaps more important, than Sgt. Pepper's....

I'm feeling my age today. I was 23 and Nirvana was due to play the UK shortly after he died. It was such a shock. No internet back then, no Facebook or TMZ, no clue he was so depressed. I still wonder how someone with 3 times a lethal dose of heroin in him was able to load and shoot a shotgun into his head, but that's probably my dislike of Courtney showing.

As for others who came after, if Eminem had died after the Marshall Mathers LP/8 Mile I think he'd be lauded in the same way as Kurt, 20 years later, as a visionary who brought a whole new music style to "the masses", i.e. those outside of urban American cities who had had no exposure to rap before.

I'd heard of NWA, for example, but their music wasn't played on national radio. I was exposed to rap via Eminem, because he was played on Radio One and NWA, Wu-Tang Clan, etc. weren't.

Eh, just my 2c. Just reflecting today.

---A few days ago, I took the opportunity to listen to Nevermind – the era-defining 1991 Nirvana album had been reissued remastered a few years ago to tie in with its 20th anniversary – because I haven’t listened to it for several years. The opening chords of Smells Like Teen Spirit started up, the drums came crashing through and Kurt’s voice came out, plaintively singing those famous opening lines “Load up on guns/ Bring your friends” and … I didn’t recognise it.

It wasn’t that I didn’t recognise the song. That’d have been crazy. It’s that I didn’t recognise the person singing the song. All I could hear were echoes of the bands and singers who came after Nirvana, the ones who diluted their performance and message and impact by slavishly following a formula that was never intended to be followed. All I could hear was this weird triple-tracked, brightening vocoder-type effect used on Kurt’s voice.

I wondered how much of my inability to recognise the song was to do with the remastering – done, presumably, so the record would sound more "contemporary", with all the spatial FX and volume setting subtly adjusted to "correct" the original version. (That version, let’s not forget, managed to sell several million copies on its own merits, without any "correction" or brightening or volume "enhancement" effects, thank you.)

So I had another listen. Unlistenable.

All I could hear was Nickelback and Puddle of Mudd and Silverchair, and other bands too horrible to even whisper their names. I heard Phil Collins covering You Can’t Hurry Love.

This was odd. Surely, my familiarity with the song – I had the “Hello/ Hello/ Hello/ Hello” refrain on my answerphone six months before Teen Spirit was released, as I thought it sounded funny – would override such niggling concerns? Surely, I could convince myself that the odd digital distortion here, the odd flattened dynamic there, shouldn’t affect my enjoyment of a song I felt such a strong personal connection to.---
the rest here

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...lease-stand-up-nirvana-20th-anniversary-death

http://youtu.be/rjgzXEEWvF0

Kurt (and Nirvana) has really had a big influence on my love of music. I started listening to them around '92 when I was 12 years old. I wish I could put into words the way I feel about Kurt as an artist and musician and person. But I'm horrible at that, so I'll just say the world lost a great artist 20 years ago.

I'm also probably the only person here who has second thoughts about his 'suicide' (IMO). There really are some facts surrounding the whole case that make me question if he really might have been murdered. If you all are curious, I highly suggest checking out http://www.cobaincase.com

This guy was a former P.I. hired by Courtney to find Kurt after he took off from rehab. He has first hand knowledge of things he personally witnessed which led him to investigate this for 20 years now. He is also part of a documentary coming out (hopefully) soon called 'Soaked In Bleach' that I really can't wait to see.

Anyways, some might call me crazy about this, but as always, it's just my opinion so it doesn't mean I'm right!

Rock on \m/ :)

rachelle

Tom Grant was everywhere for a few years after Kurt's death, talking about how he believed K was murdered. If you've never seen Nick Broomfield's documentary "Kurt and Courtney" you should check it out.

I know there may be compelling physical evidence that the forensic reports suggest something at the crime scene amiss, but why might Kurt have been murdered? Always has seemed a bit dire to me.

http://youtu.be/rjgzXEEWvF0

Kurt (and Nirvana) has really had a big influence on my love of music. I started listening to them around '92 when I was 12 years old. I wish I could put into words the way I feel about Kurt as an artist and musician and person. But I'm horrible at that, so I'll just say the world lost a great artist 20 years ago.

I'm also probably the only person here who has second thoughts about his 'suicide' (IMO). There really are some facts surrounding the whole case that make me question if he really might have been murdered. If you all are curious, I highly suggest checking out http://www.cobaincase.com

This guy was a former P.I. hired by Courtney to find Kurt after he took off from rehab. He has first hand knowledge of things he personally witnessed which led him to investigate this for 20 years now. He is also part of a documentary coming out (hopefully) soon called 'Soaked In Bleach' that I really can't wait to see.

Anyways, some might call me crazy about this, but as always, it's just my opinion so it doesn't mean I'm right!

Rock on \m/ :)

I have heard claims that Kurt Cobain was murdered.

I know there may be compelling physical evidence that the forensic reports suggest something at the crime scene amiss, but why might Kurt have been murdered? Always has seemed a bit dire to me.

It's been awhile since I've read the 'case study manual' on Grant's site, but I did spend several weeks reading the whole thing, listening to his audio tapes, reading a book by Ian Halperin that has a lot of Grant's work in it, and it is just something that I can't quite put my finger on that I believe him. It's not like he is just another person throwing his theory out there, he was actually in the midst of it and started to think something was amiss with the suicide theory. And for me, the fact that he has flat out said that he believes courtney had something to do with his death and she hasn't come out (to my knowledge) and refuted his claims, says a lot to me. If you read Grant's case study manual and read the facts as he sees them and lay it all out from beginning to end, there are just too many coincidences for me not to question if it may be true that he was murdered.

All my opinion of course :)

Oh, and to answer the original ? in this post (motive), pretty much that he wanted a divorce, I believe she is on tape admitting he told her this or had left her a note shortly before his death stating he wanted a divorce (I believe she also admitted destroying said letter? Like I said, been awhile since I read up on this lol) and I think he also changed his will a month before he was found dead, excluding her from the will.

I also can't get over the fact of that El Duce guy that came out and said courtney asked him to kill Kurt awhile before and then a few days after that interview came out, he was dead. Could be just a strange coincidence? Weird.

I just don't see why someone would work on something for 20 years without REALLY believing in it. So to me, everything I've read of his just makes sense.

I really didn't get into listening to Kurt until after his death. I love his music.

As for Courtney, well, I hope that she just goes away. I can't stand that woman.

JMO

Kurt Cobain was such a beautiful and talented man. But every picture he took and every video I see of him he looks so haunted.

I'm not really on any train about how he died, but I do find it incredibly odd that he was able to shoot himself with a shot gun after having injected copious amounts of heroin... I don't necessarily think it was Courtney, she was not the only one with good motive.

It's also incredibly sad that Kristen Pfaff died shortly after. The nineties were a horrible time to be a musician, everyone was dying left and right from that stupid little death trap called heroin.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcXYz0gtJeM"]Nirvana - Where did you sleep last night - Unplugged in new york - YouTube[/ame]

miss U Kurt

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail