GUILTY WI - Theresa, 'Baby Theresa', Fem Newborn, 870UFWI, Apr'09 - 'Mom' ID'd as Karin Luttinen

Sue Doe Nimm

Nurse of the non-verified persuasion
Reaction score
She was discovered the day my baby turned thirteen, so she has a special place in my heart. I thought she should have a thread of her own.

Information on the Dodge County website:

http://www.co.dodge.wi.us/index.aspx?page=63

NamUS page, case number 09-228 DOSO # 09-1132:

https://identifyus.org/cases/5262

DOE Network entry:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/870ufwi.html

NCMEC:

http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMU/1123378/1#poster

Aside from the links above, there is precious little information to be found on this little one. It is my hope that by posting this here she will be identified.

Theresa has a population of about 1200, all of Dodge County less than 100,000.

Can't be that hard for someone around there to spot the car. Metallic blue with a black hood.

Theresa has a population of about 1200, all of Dodge County less than 100,000.

Can't be that hard for someone around there to spot the car. Metallic blue with a black hood.

It's about 40 minutes and a relatively straight shot from the Milwaukee area to where her body was discovered, so I'm thinking that her mother wasn't a local.

This case truly bothers me-a healthy, full-term infant left to die in the woods when we have a Safe Haven law and she could have been handed over at a hospital with no questions asked of anyone. It almost makes me wonder if the mother is missing as well.

Several weeks ago I emailed the editorial staff of our local newspaper to suggest that they publish an article in light of the upcoming five year anniversary of the discovery of a still-unidentified newborn baby girl. I never heard back from anyone, so I figured that the idea was rejected. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my email led to the publication of this piece:

http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/...ks-closure-abandoned-baby-case?nclick_check=1

Snippet from the article:

It was five years ago today that Brugger was called to the scene to investigate a report of an infant found inside a plastic garbage bag just off Lone Road in the town of Theresa.

Five years is too long for this little one to be an unknown. Happy birthday, baby girl. My birthday wish for you is to learn who you are and why this had to happen.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original

Female Infant Doe
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP5262
Female, Uncertain

DATE FOUND. April 29, 2009
Location Found. Theresa, Wisconsin
Estimated Age Range 0-12 Months

Estimated Age Group Infant
Estimated Age Range (Years)0-1

Estimated Year of Death 2009
Estimated PMI Hours
Height. 1' 8"(20 inches) , Measured
Weight. 8 lbs, Measured
Black hair

Eye color Unknown
Inventory of Remains All parts recovered

Condition of Remains. Recognizable face

General Location
Lone RoadTheresa, Wisconsin
Dodge County

Circumstances of Recovery
On Wednesday, April 29, 2009 the Dodge County Sheriff's Department and the Dodge County Medical Examiner's Office responded to Lone Road, in the Township of Theresa and confirmed that there was an infant girl abandoned in the woods inside of a garbage bag. An autopsy indicated that the infant was full-term and weighed approximately 8 pounds.

1 image; 0 comparisons.

Bumping up for baby Theresa. I hope she will be identified, perhaps by DNA. Someone has gotten away with this tragedy for too long.

Wisconsin has had a few Does ID via familial DNA, I wonder if LE have considered it here especially considering there's a crime involved.

Do we know where this little one is buried?

Wisconsin has had a few Does ID via familial DNA, I wonder if LE have considered it here especially considering there's a crime involved.

Do we know where this little one is buried?

Would they need another DNA sample? Because her Doe Network link says,
"DNA: mtDNA and nucDNA are available at UNT (ref #09-0835)."
I wonder if what they have would be enough... then again, if it was, you'd think they would already be trying to identify her...

Would they need another DNA sample? Because her Doe Network link says,
"DNA: mtDNA and nucDNA are available at UNT (ref #09-0835)."
I wonder if what they have would be enough... then again, if it was, you'd think they would already be trying to identify her...

No idea, @othram are you able to explain whether existing samples/data can be used?

No idea, @othram are you able to explain whether existing samples/data can be used?
To build a genealogical profile, you would need nuclear DNA or what they are calling nucDNA. Many of the times, UNT has an available DNA extract -- they don't necessarily consume it entirely for STR testing.

To work this case, we would need to determine if extract remains at UNT and if there is enough human DNA. If so, its easy to transfer to our lab. If not, a new extract can be developed. Then testing can start. Ofc, to get the process going, the initiating request must come from law enforcement or someone working on behalf of law enforcement.

Let us know if that answers your question or if you have more questions.

Name changed to initials by me.

Woman charged in “Baby Theresa” infant death case
...a charge of concealing the death of a child was filed against K.L. Investigators say DNA evidence from the scene and advances in technology led them to K.L....

...She said she delivered the baby herself in her bathtub. She said she did not hear the baby cry or see the baby move. She passed out and when she came to, she panicked. K.L. said she grabbed a garbage bag ...

...K.L. said no one else knew what happened, including her partner....

...With the information available, it appears that the child was expelled and either died during the delivery or shortly thereafter...

Several weeks ago I emailed the editorial staff of our local newspaper to suggest that they publish an article in light of the upcoming five year anniversary of the discovery of a still-unidentified newborn baby girl. I never heard back from anyone, so I figured that the idea was rejected. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my email led to the publication of this piece:

http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/...ks-closure-abandoned-baby-case?nclick_check=1

Snippet from the article:

It was five years ago today that Brugger was called to the scene to investigate a report of an infant found inside a plastic garbage bag just off Lone Road in the town of Theresa.

Five years is too long for this little one to be an unknown. Happy birthday, baby girl. My birthday wish for you is to learn who you are and why this had to happen.

I'm not sure if you heard yet, but I thought I should tell you of this update! Especially since you started this whole thread. Woman charged in “Baby Theresa” infant death case

She was discovered the day my baby turned thirteen, so she has a special place in my heart. I thought she should have a thread of her own.

Information on the Dodge County website:

http://www.co.dodge.wi.us/index.aspx?page=63

NamUS page, case number 09-228 DOSO # 09-1132:

https://identifyus.org/cases/5262

DOE Network entry:

870UFWI

NCMEC:

Have you seen this child?

Aside from the links above, there is precious little information to be found on this little one. It is my hope that by posting this here she will be identified.

And now she has been! Thank you for caring enough to start this thread about this tragedy.

Name changed to initials by me.

...a charge of concealing the death of a child was filed against K.L. Investigators say DNA evidence from the scene and advances in technology led them to K.L....

...She said she delivered the baby herself in her bathtub. She said she did not hear the baby cry or see the baby move. She passed out and when she came to, she panicked. K.L. said she grabbed a garbage bag ...

...K.L. said no one else knew what happened, including her partner....

...With the information available, it appears that the child was expelled and either died during the delivery or shortly thereafter...

Apparently she didn’t know she was pregnant until she gave birth.

Apparently she didn’t know she was pregnant until she gave birth.

From the linked article. Bolded by me:
She said she did not know she was pregnant at first. She said she thought she was in denial.

“K.L. thought that towards the end (of her pregnancy) she knew for sure that she was pregnant but her mind was not grasping the concept,” reads the complaint.

What should the law/society make of that?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74
Back