961 users online (192 members and 769 guests)  

Websleuths News

los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

MS - Girl, 9, Yazoo City, 6 April 2014

Yazoo City Girl

Still No Sign of Missing Yazoo County Child -

Rescue teams from various areas are searching for a 9-year-old who authorities believe was swept away by flash flood waters. The EMA Director also says the little girl was playing in the backyard when she was swept under. The girl went missing around 8 Sunday night and shortly after someone reported seeing a body in the canal behind the child's house on 8th street and Lee avenue.

http://www.wjtv.com/story/25177256/y...elle-to-finish
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Sadly, it looks like she may not have made it. A body has been found.

WJTV News Channel 12 ‏@WJTV 1h
    ***BREAKING NEWS*** Body found in Yazoo County creek. No positive i.d. yet, but authorities believe it could be that of the missing girl.

https://twitter.com/WJTV

The body of a 9-year-old girl believed to have been swept into a culvert during a flash flood in west-central Mississippi was recovered Monday, an official told CNN.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/07/us/severe-weather

We had torrential downpours all yesterday and all last night. 8.5 inches of rain where I live about an hour away from Yazoo City. I couldn't sleep all night. Poor baby girl. I'm glad that they have at least found her body. It sounds like a crew of men worked tirelessly to find her. It's just heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by FindingTheMissing View Post
    Sadly, it looks like she may not have made it. A body has been found.

WJTV News Channel 12 ‏@WJTV 1h
    ***BREAKING NEWS*** Body found in Yazoo County creek. No positive i.d. yet, but authorities believe it could be that of the missing girl.

https://twitter.com/WJTV

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/07/us/severe-weather
    Your CNN link has been updated.

Yazoo County Emergency Management Director Joey Ward said the girl's body was identified by her mother.

Prayers to the family.

Very sad ending.

Prayers to the family and friends.

RIP sweet angel.

fran

How horrible. RIP dear child and may the family find peace and strength to cope with their loss.

I'm not familiar with the area. Why would a girl be playing in her yard during a flash flood warning if the house was in an area where there are flash floods? In our area, you know the flash flood zones, and it if is raining anywhere upstream, you are NOT downstream. Was this a storm that came out of nowhere? (I'd like to understand how the weather patterns are in this area)
    Just the facts, Ma'am.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwheel View Post
    I'm not familiar with the area. Why would a girl be playing in her yard during a flash flood warning if the house was in an area where there are flash floods? In our area, you know the flash flood zones, and it if is raining anywhere upstream, you are NOT downstream. Was this a storm that came out of nowhere? (I'd like to understand how the weather patterns are in this area)
    I'm not from the area, but from what I understand this came up so fast. Unfortunately this dear child wasn't the only one to lose her life during these storms, which has battered the South with torrential rains, flooding, and tornadoes. A little 3 year old in Louisiana has lost his life after being swept away, a man in Georgia was found deceased after being swept away in his car, a mother and her toddler son (can't remember where that was) were swept away and drowned. Two dozen people had to be rescued from flood waters that rose quickly to chest high in a mobile home park, in Alabama I believe it was. So much devastation as a result of these storms... homes lost, lives lost.

I watched a video earlier from a guy that is somewhere around Jackson MS. I think the little girl in this thread was a bit north of there. But it gives an idea of what they are dealing with right now.

http://youtu.be/CXevXSy_u1w

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwheel View Post

The news clip showed a drainage ditch along the back of their yard. I imagine it was dry most of the time. JMO. She was likely attracted to the rushing water and was playing in it. So tragic. As I said in an earlier post, I live about an hour south of Yazoo City. We had about 8.5 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. The rivers and creeks are overflowing in several counties. It just came down too hard and too fast.
    http://www.clarionledger.com/article...-City-flooding

The video^^^posted by FindintheMissing is from my county. I'm not in a flood-prone area, thank goodness.
    Last edited by Quill; 04-08-2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added comment about video

Oh, so sad. I pray for her family and friends.