Identified! MS - Moss Point, Escatawpa River, BlkMale 18-22, UP10451, overbite, scar, Dec'82 - Gary Simpson

ctaylor

Reaction score
I just saw an article on this John Doe and thought I would create a thread as there doesn't appear to be one here already. A artist has created a picture which is almost like a photograph and could be very helpful.

This man was found in December 1982, by divers who were searching for this little girl whose body was found 60 yards away and is still unidentified - http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/45ufms.html

Her thread is here - http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26761

John Doe's NAMUS link -
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10451

Date found December 08, 1982 12:20
Demographics
Minimum age 18 years
Maximum age 22 years
Race Black/African American
Sex Male
Weight (pounds) 120, Estimated
Height (inches) 66, Estimated
Scars and marks Healed Injury. He would have had a scar on the left side of forehead.
Other distinctive
physical characteristics Had a strong overbite

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-news/2014/04/do_you_know_this_man_pascagoul.html

PASCAGOULA, Mississippi -- Pascagoula police hope a forensic artist's work will help identify a young man whose body was dumped from a highway bridge more than 30 years ago. He could have been killed any time from late 1979 to early 1982.

Fifty-three of his bones were found Dec. 8, 1982, in the Dog River, with brown pants and a Hawaiian-print shirt. Detectives believe his body had been dumped from the nearby Interstate 10 bridge.

Detective Darren Versiga learned while reopening another cold case that this man's bones were being stored in Oklahoma, where the autopsy was done in 1982....

His bones were found under eastbound I-10 by divers who began searching after a young girl's body was found floating by the westbound span. The bodies were about 60 yards apart.

-06540052d4232eea.jpg

A further article which contains the below picture showing the proximity of this man to the little girl found 4 days earlier -
http://www.wlox.com/story/25168342/sketch-released-of-man-murdered-31-years-ago
25168342_BG2.jpg

How weird!

I'd almost think these two cases were related(his case, and that of the little girl and her mother), but he died too long before they did.

The healed injury that left a scar on his forehead wouldn't have been what killed him...I wonder what did. Did he accidentally drown, or did someone kill him and throw him off the bridge?

Whatever may have happened, I think it's unfortunate that, even though the little girl's case is getting so much exposure(as it should), his case is being ignored.

So, um...

BUMPBUMPBUMPBUMPBUMPBUMPBUMPBUMP

How weird!

I'd almost think these two cases were related(his case, and that of the little girl and her mother), but he died too long before they did.

The healed injury that left a scar on his forehead wouldn't have been what killed him...I wonder what did. Did he accidentally drown, or did someone kill him and throw him off the bridge?

Whatever may have happened, I think it's unfortunate that, even though the little girl's case is getting so much exposure(as it should), his case is being ignored.

So, um...

It sounds like he was the victim of a homicide because the thread's title (Shooting Victim in Dog River). Recently, I came across a shorter African-American/black male with a scar on his forehead while I was looking with another UID from Washoe County, 1980 in mind -- now I need to go back and find him again.

How weird!

So, um...

I think so too...any idea how long the Baby Girl (jeez, what kind of people do this stuff, much less to babies?) was in the water?

It sounds like he was the victim of a homicide because the thread's title (Shooting Victim in Dog River). Recently, I came across a shorter African-American/black male with a scar on his forehead while I was looking with another UID from Washoe County, 1980 in mind -- now I need to go back and find him again.

Wow! I'm not even going to begin to try to understand how I managed to overlook the title of the thread. :)

I hope you can find the UID again. Not many people are going to look like this young man, I don't think(he's so small, and has that scar, and the pronounced overbite), so there's probably a good chance for a match.

I think so too...any idea how long the Baby Girl (jeez, what kind of people do this stuff, much less to babies?) was in the water?

I think the little girl was only in the water for a few days, compared to the 6-24 months they're estimating for this young man. They'd seen her with a woman they thought was her mother, walking along the bridge. The mother had refused rides and help from passing motorists...that was the best and smartest thing to do(imho), but someone probably ended up abducting her anyway(because they never found her), and throwing the girl over.

Due to the high likelihood of a gunshot being heard in that area, I think the young man was probably killed elsewhere and then dumped in the water.

Some people are extremely sick...they don't care if it's a little girl, or a teenage boy, or their own family...they just like to hurt people. I just wish more who are like that could be caught so this stuff would stop happening.

Wow! I'm not even going to begin to try to understand how I managed to overlook the title of the thread. :)

I hope you can find the UID again. Not many people are going to look like this young man, I don't think(he's so small, and has that scar, and the pronounced overbite), so there's probably a good chance for a match.

I think the little girl was only in the water for a few days, compared to the 6-24 months they're estimating for this young man. They'd seen her with a woman they thought was her mother, walking along the bridge. The mother had refused rides and help from passing motorists...that was the best and smartest thing to do(imho), but someone probably ended up abducting her anyway(because they never found her), and throwing the girl over.

Due to the high likelihood of a gunshot being heard in that area, I think the young man was probably killed elsewhere and then dumped in the water.

Some people are extremely sick...they don't care if it's a little girl, or a teenage boy, or their own family...they just like to hurt people. I just wish more who are like that could be caught so this stuff would stop happening.

BBM
Just a clarification. That area was then and is now a remote area and a gunshot would be no issue, not that I disagree with you about the possibility he was transported there deceased.

BBM
Just a clarification. That area was then and is now a remote area and a gunshot would be no issue, not that I disagree with you about the possibility he was transported there deceased.

That surprises me, being underneath the bridge like it is. That said, I don't know anything about the area, and have never been there or near there.

I hope there aren't any more bodies in the river.

(snipped)

Do they know someone abducted her? Or did she throw the girl in and then jump herself?

Bumping--tomorrow is the 32nd anniversary of this young man. Let him be identified soon!

Quite an interesting case.
Interstate 10 or I 10 didn't fully open thru Mississippi until 1988 and that specific section until late 1970s

http://lostroads.wikidot.com/us-90-ms
Construction on Interstate 10 through southern Mississippi began in the late 1960s and continued over the ensuing 20 years. The first portion of I-10 opened from the Louisiana border to Highway 607 in 1971. The section from Highway 607 to Highway 57 opened in the late 1970s, as did the portion from Moss Point to the Alabama line. The last portion fo Highway 10 from highway 57 to Moss Point opened in 1988, completing the highway through Mississippi.
emphasis mine

Darren mentions 1979 to late 1982 as possible time of death and that along with the article above raises questions around whether there is a local possibility(locals would know of access between bridges and or if road was complete and could be traveled but not "officially" open to traffic.)

Also of interest is the relative physical proximity to the Karen Ann Pierce murder in Jan 1983.

Jesse Derrell Williams was executed in 2002 for her murder.

That area from the I 10 bridge to the area of houseboats South of the bridge is known to LE for reprobate activity over the years.

Also the forensic reconstruction at first glance strikes me as Creole/Mulatto and along with the overbite vs open bite, superior vs anterior is also initially interesting as an additional race probability identifier to be researched.

Can I get a second opinion on this? Charlie Hall went missing a year before in Tennessee. He was thought to be a little younger, but he also appears to have a scar over his left temple, and also appeared to have a odd shaped head. A couple of things which I think he shares with this John Doe??
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Attachments

• abcdef.jpg
    abcdef.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 37
I'm wondering if the artist rendition comes from an autopsy photo. It looks so life like but it says the remains were skeletal.

Here's what I see.
Charlie's hairline appears to start farther back on his head than the UID.
There's more space between the hairline and the top of Charlie's eyebrows than the UID.
Both of their eyes seem to slant slightly up.
Ears appear to be on the same plane.
Noses appear different.
Mouths appear the same.
Chins are slightly different.
Charlie's age progression reminds me of the UID.
I think most of the differences can be explained as artist interpretation.

Charlie's case is classified as a non family abduction; there must be a reason for that. It's not unreasonable to think that he could have been picked up and dumped.

The identifiers and time frame work.
I would send it in.

I'm wondering if the artist rendition comes from an autopsy photo. It looks so life like but it says the remains were skeletal.

Here's what I see.
Charlie's hairline appears to start farther back on his head than the UID.
There's more space between the hairline and the top of Charlie's eyebrows than the UID.
Both of their eyes seem to slant slightly up.
Ears appear to be on the same plane.
Noses appear different.
Mouths appear the same.
Chins are slightly different.
Charlie's age progression reminds me of the UID.
I think most of the differences can be explained as artist interpretation.

Charlie's case is classified as a non family abduction; there must be a reason for that. It's not unreasonable to think that he could have been picked up and dumped.

The identifiers and time frame work.
I would send it in.
Thanks. I also notice the same ear shape and 'square' shape upper lip. I think its a good one to send in.

No mention of a forehead scar but there looks like there could be something on either side. Not sure if there is something there or just the photo. And no explanation of how he’d end up in MS. His orange flowered shirt caught my attention.

Thumbnail

MISSING
Missing Person / NamUs #MP41279Danny Lee Mitchell, Male, Black / African American
Date of Last ContactApril 2, 1980
Missing FromCleveland, Ohio

Case Information

Demographics
Missing Age20 Years
Current Age59 Years
First NameDanny
Middle NameLee
Last NameMitchell
Nickname/Alias--

SexMale
Height5' 7" (67 Inches)
Weight150 lbs
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactApril 2, 1980
NamUs Case CreatedDecember 8, 2017
Last Known Location Map
LocationCleveland, Ohio
CountyCuyahoga County

Circumstances of DisappearanceDanny was last seen in Cleveland, Ohio on April 2, 1980. His destination was Ryan's Bar located at 6319 Euclid Avenue. He has not been seen since.
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Scar/mark
Scar on his chin

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
Blue jeans, a black jacket, orange flower shirt

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Doe Network Case 2408UMMS: 2408UMMS

NamUs Case #UP10451: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
2408UMMS_LARGE.jpg

Unidentified Black Male

-Found December 8, 1982, near where Delta Dawn was found in the Escatawpa River off of Interstate 10

Statistics:
  • Est. Age: 18-22
  • Est. Height: 5'6"
  • Est. Weight: 120-170 pounds
  • Hair color and eye color unknown
  • Dentals: Available, advanced periodontal disease, multiple fillings, strong overbite
  • Clothing: Converse shoe with a red trim on the sole (size 7.5) on the right foot, brown slacks (size 28x30), faded Hawaiian-themed sport shirt
  • DNA: Available
Cirumstances:
Decedent's skeletal remains had been unearthed from a shallow grave on the edge of the Escatawpa river as dive teams were searching for the body of a woman who had been sighted soon before, and who investigators believe was possibly connected to the Delta Dawn case. Investigators believe the decedent is not related to the case.

I'm sorry if this is too barebones, this is my first time making a thread, and I couldn't find an existing one for this doe when I searched for it.

You did a great job! And I always think that it's better to have too many threads than not enough. It means that someone (usually someone new) is paying attention to the UIDs and that is wonderful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back