1099 users online (237 members and 862 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Criminal past includes either murder, kidnap, extortion?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, perp has a violent criminal history

7 29.17%
  • No, perp is a first time offender

17 70.83%

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Criminal past?

Do you think the perp or ransom note author have a criminal past that includes either murder, kidnapping, or extortion?

Can't vote because I think he may have committed some petty crimes so this wasn't his first illegal act but I'm not convinced he was a previously violent offender.

I believe similarly, the perp had committed minor offenses in the past, nothing felonious.

Quote Originally Posted by tipper
    Can't vote because I think he may have committed some petty crimes so this wasn't his first illegal act but I'm not convinced he was a previously violent offender.
    Question was whether the perp has committed either murder, kidnapping, or extortion before.

You're not a fair pollster, but I'll bite.

We don't have the police files so it's unknown whether John and/or Patsy have ever been arrested before. To me, that's not as important as knowing whether they have committed any crimes since JonBenet's death.
    It's just my opinion.

I'm confident that if either had an arrest record we would already know about it.

Tipper,

I totally agree with you.

Halycon,

Trust me,I highly doubt the Ramsey's would do anything unlawful since JB's death. They know the media and police would jump on that like moths to wool sweaters!

"An FBI data run of murder arrestees nationally over a four year period in the 1960s found 74.7% to have had prior arrests for violent felony or burglary."

Chances are, the arrestee in this case will be a violent career criminal. There's less than a 1 in 5 chance the perp has a clean criminal record.

In addition, the use of the ransom note, combined with its terminology, seems appropriate for a violent career criminal.

Also, the killing itself has attributes of a career criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Holdontoyourhat
    "An FBI data run of murder arrestees nationally over a four year period in the 1960s found 74.7% to have had prior arrests for violent felony or burglary."

Chances are, the arrestee in this case will be a violent career criminal. There's less than a 1 in 5 chance the perp has a clean criminal record.

In addition, the use of the ransom note, combined with its terminology, seems appropriate for a violent career criminal.

Holdontoyourhat,

You are assuming the perp was an intruder. That's not likely. Three-fourths of the public believe a Ramsey is involved in the killing of JonBenet, and almost all of us who have studied the crime in depth (and who have no hidden agendas) believe a Ramsey is involved. But none of the Ramseys have a criminal record. So there is an almost zero chance that the perp, if arrested, will be a career criminal.

And please check your arithmetic in your post. 74.6% would be 1 in 4, not 1 in 5.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrab
    Holdontoyourhat,

You are assuming the perp was an intruder. That's not likely. Three-fourths of the public believe a Ramsey is involved in the killing of JonBenet, and almost all of us who have studied the crime in depth (and who have no hidden agendas) believe a Ramsey is involved. But none of the Ramseys have a criminal record. So there is an almost zero chance that the perp, if arrested, will be a career criminal.

And please check your arithmetic in your post. 74.6% would be 1 in 4, not 1 in 5.
    I assume you are basing that "Three-fourths of the public believe..." on some sort of poll. What poll and when was it taken.

I expect I could quote you a poll that said 95% of the public believes Richard Jewell is responsible for the Olympic bombings, if I went back far enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrab
    Holdontoyourhat,

BC--

Ignoring the stats wont make IDI go away. Chances of IDI are 3 in 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Holdontoyourhat

Your stats are correct,however, stats give the odds of a parent as the killer nearing 12 to 1. Westerfield had a clean record, Leopold and Leob committed only ONE crime, John Gacy was clean ,as well. Most murders in our country are not thought out crimes, they are violent acts committed by violent people. Statistically she shouldn't have been murdered. She was a white wealthy child , the "chances" of her being murdered should have been near zero, how can we apply numbers that represent our violent streets to this crime? At best how can we apply statistics to a crime that statistically doesn't happen?
    I believe, JMO, that the murderer had minor offenses, the kinds that are typical for someone who doesn't have to play by the rules, piled up parking tickets, driving without a license, taking things from his jobsite, domestic violence ( not that this is minor), just small things that would indicate he believed playing by the rules wasn't for someone as "smart as him" , he could bypass them and live well.

Quote Originally Posted by sissi
    Your stats are correct,however, stats give the odds of a parent as the killer nearing 12 to 1. Westerfield had a clean record, Leopold and Leob committed only ONE crime, John Gacy was clean ,as well. Most murders in our country are not thought out crimes, they are violent acts committed by violent people. Statistically she shouldn't have been murdered. She was a white wealthy child , the "chances" of her being murdered should have been near zero, how can we apply numbers that represent our violent streets to this crime? At best how can we apply statistics to a crime that statistically doesn't happen?
    I believe, JMO, that the murderer had minor offenses, the kinds that are typical for someone who doesn't have to play by the rules, piled up parking tickets, driving without a license, taking things from his jobsite, domestic violence ( not that this is minor), just small things that would indicate he believed playing by the rules wasn't for someone as "smart as him" , he could bypass them and live well.
    The 12 to 1 stat is misleading because it does not point out that in practically all (90%) of filicide, there were major socioeconomic and psychopathic issues which led up to the crime.

Remember, the evidence also points to a career criminal, so its OK to apply the statistic. You have a ransom note, and a child murdered by garrote and headbash. These are signs of a career criminal.

There are all kinds of studies out there showing that murderers start out with lesser criminal behaviors earlier in life. That it is part of a pattern of crime. The fact that L & L or Gacy had no priors simply means that they weren't caught. The FBI statistic obviously doesn't take into consideration crimes committed by those who don't get caught. If it did, the stat for the number of violent crimes previously committed by an arrestee for murder would be even higher.

The 12 to 1 figure is also heavily weighted towards infants killed by overwrought/depressed/first-time parents. Somewhere online there is a chart that breaks this down by age and gives a more accurate picture. ST pushed the 12 to 1 statistic because it superficially added to his theory not because it actually reflected the parent-as-killer figures for a child JonBenet's age.

Look at cases past were family members murder family members---many have no criminal record whatsoever. That would fit if this murder was an accident----wether during sex play or not.

Jeffrey MacDoanld had no criminal history.

Susan Smith had no criminal history.

Diane Downs had no criiminal history.

Scott Peterson had no criminal history.

I don't think in this type of crime that you would see an offender who had an extensive criminal background---especially a violent one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast