Sorry if this has been posted already. i didn't see it here, but i cannot get this case out of my some ways children killing children is beyond comprehension for me. (sigh) it just is too much to believe.
Winnipeg boy, 10, set afire
Last Updated May 24 2005 08:11 AM CDT
CBC News
WINNIPEG A 10-year-old boy who was attacked and set on fire in the North End area of Winnipeg on Saturday is expected to be released from hospital in the next couple of days.

Kasey Richard spoke out about what happened to him from his hospital bed on Monday. He said a group of youths had taken his hat, and he was assaulted after he tried to get it back.

The boy said lighter fluid was poured on his shoes and pants, then a match was lit.

"I was crying and I told them to stop," he said. "Then I got on fire and started screaming. Then I stopped, dropped and rolled on the grass. Then my friend took me to my house."

Richard has second-degree burns to his leg. His leg is bandaged and he is on morphine for the pain. His mother, Pearl Thompson, is relieved to hear he won't require surgery.

"They said he is going to be OK he doesn't need skin grafting," she said. "He should be out by tomorrow or Wednesday for sure, they said."

Two boys, age 13 and 14, have been charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon. A 13-year-old girl is also facing a charge of uttering threats. An 11-year-old who was also involved in the incident was too young to be charged.

The victim's mother says it's another example of how violent the city's North End can be. Just two weeks ago, she said, her son was almost stabbed.

"All I can say is they are bad kids," she said. "I'm going to take my kids out of this city."

Richard's parents say they plan to leave Winnipeg once their son has fully recovered. The family expects to relocate to Camperville, about 100 kilometres north of Dauphin.

I don't think I'd be telling anyone where I was moving to...