1308 users online (261 members and 1047 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

FL - Vernon Stephens, 39, Jacksonville, 11 April 2014

Vernon Stephens

A crash on the Mathews Bridge late Friday night has investigators searching for a missing man, police said Saturday -

According to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, Vernon Stephens, the last known driver of a red Mitsubishi Galant involved in a crash on the Mathews Bridge last night, has not been located. Family members have unsuccessfully tried to contact Stephens and there is growing concern that he may have been thrown off the bridge from the impact of the crash.
    http://www.news4jax.com/news/man-mis...ridge/25446506
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Oh gosh... scary.

Prayers Vernon is found...and prayers for his family.

Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

Where would he go from there if he ran away? Wouldn't there be signs of injury if he was hit? If he was in the car, I don't see him getting knocked out of the car with no signs of injury. Not much in the article to tell.

Are there any photos anywhere of the bridge? I would like to see what the bridge looks like. Has anyone searched the water? I hope he's ok.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by sophiebelle View Post
    Where would he go from there if he ran away? Wouldn't there be signs of injury if he was hit? If he was in the car, I don't see him getting knocked out of the car with no signs of injury. Not much in the article to tell.
    Without some photographs of the accident scene it IS difficult to determine how he could have been thrown over the bridge. However the article implies his car was broken down so it is quite possible he was outside the vehicle when the accident occurred.

MOO
    Rest in Peace

Within the last year or so (maybe a bit further back...?) didn't we have another person in FL who went missing by a bridge following a break down or something also?

I think she was an older-ish Asian lady and had been taking Ambien and there was concern that played into it? And then she ended up over the side too?

Anyone recall that case better than I do?

Unhappy

Article in the OP has been updated:

Family to search for man missing after Mathews Bridge crash

Sunday, his family announced they will begin their own search for him by boat this afternoon, starting at Arlington Marina. They spoke at a news conference attended by Stephens wife, mother and other family members.

Stephens wife Andrea said her husband was going to meet a friend to celebrate their birthday Friday night. She pleaded for anyone with information to come forward, as did his mother, Yvonne Golden. Golden said Stephens is her only child and asked for prayer.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/man-mis...ridge/25446506
    Rest in Peace

Mystery still surrounds man missing after crash

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/...crash/7634051/
    No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkismom View Post
    Mystery still surrounds man missing after crash

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/...crash/7634051/
    Can't imagine from what has been in the media about this man that if he had already left the site where his car was broken down, why he wouldn't have contacted his family. Yet no one saw him actually go into the water when the second vehicle hit his. Curious how he could have been propelled into the water unless he was on the right side of his car.

Would definitely like to see photos, other than the video clip of parts of the bridge and the water below, to get an idea how this could happen.

MOO
    Rest in Peace

Unless he had broken down just a minute before this happened, I wonder why he wouldn't have had flashers on, or did he? Had he tried to call anyone about being stranded there? Does anybody know how far to the nearest store/town?

Quote Originally Posted by sophiebelle View Post
    Unless he had broken down just a minute before this happened, I wonder why he wouldn't have had flashers on, or did he? Had he tried to call anyone about being stranded there? Does anybody know how far to the nearest store/town?
    The most recent article states the hood was up on his car which could have blocked anyone from seeing him if he was over toward the right side of his car when it was hit. The first thing I would have done is turn on the hazard lights and call for assistance. Perhaps the breakdown was something he thought he could fix himself.

I would just like to see exactly where on the bridge he was stranded and how easily he could have been propelled into the water. I am assuming his car was hit from behind.

MOO
    Rest in Peace

Yes pics would help. It's horrible if he was standing there and got knocked into the water. I still think blood evidence or a dent or something should be there. If he was hit hard enough to go over the side of the bridge, which I assume had rails, something should be there. imoo

Body of missing man found under the Trout River Bridge -

http://www.wokv.com/news/news/local/...ing-man/nfZDX/
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Body found believed to be missing man -

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/...found/7694203/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast