Why Christmas?

Tawny

Reaction score
Bringing this over from the IDI thread as I'd like to talk about it too! :loveyou:

All this talk about someone surveilling the home got me thinking....why Christmas Day? If anything, peoples routines would be a bit different on Christmas. Does anyone know what kind of crime stats there are for Christmas? To me, it seems like an odd day to pick to do a crime like this.

*Not sure if I could post this in the IDI thread....if not, mods please delete. My intent isn't to disrupt the thread, only asking as I've always found it odd that this happened on Christmas night.*

I would be curious about Christmas Day home invasions myself.

Does anyone have or know of any stats regarding Christmas Day/Night home invasions, attacks, home break ins, and murders?

TIA!

Bringing this over from the IDI thread as I'd like to talk about it too! :loveyou:

I would be curious about Christmas Day home invasions myself.

Does anyone have or know of any stats regarding Christmas Day/Night home invasions, attacks, home break ins, and murders?

TIA!

Thanks for starting this thread, it's an interesting aspect of the crime to consider.

I don't have stats, but I agree with the posts saying Christmas Eve/day is probably not a day most criminals would want to commit some sort of home break-in.

I know that the days/weeks leading up to christmas have a high incidence of theft, especially nowadays you read about stolen packages that are sitting outside after delivery.

I have always felt this was yet another piece of very strong circumstantial evidence of RDI.

If we believe in the Fariy Tale intruder then we must believe that, after entering the home without leaving a trace of having done so, said intruder was comfortable enough to stay in the house and compose the War and Peace of Ransom notes. This would have to indicate some assurance about habits and schedules of the residents. This might be possible if someone broke in on a regular weeknight. They could have potentially observed the family and learned their routines, comings, goings, bedtimes, etc.

Problem is, no ones routine on Christmas Day/Night is the same ad any other day. So how did the "Intruder" know when the Ramseys would be home? When they would go to bed? IF they would even come home?

Thing is a lot of people leave town over Christmas. How did the Intruder know that they wouldn't? How did intruder know they wouldn't have company? Many families do over the holidays. There could well have been extra kids bunking in with both JonBenet and Burke. It's certianly not uncommon that time of year.

Add to that, the fact that the Fairy Tale intruder's absence would be much more likely to be noted on Christmas. I have no idea what my Brother in Law is doing for dinner tonight, but if he didn't show up for Christmas dinner you can bet I would notice, as would the rest of the family.

It is just ludicrous to assume that an intruder would pick Christmas. Too many intagibles.

OTOH, Christmas can be very stressful within a family. Gone all day, kids tired and cranky, and no promise of sleeping in the next day because it's off again bright and early. Patsy is strung pretty tight in the best of times and then JonBenet wets the bed again. Or she discovers both her children doing something very disturbing.

Thanks Tawny for making this thread. I'm going to try to find out some stats about crimes on Christmas. I can understand a burglary happening on Christmas, but a sexual assualt, murder, kidnapping on Christmas night just doesn't sit right with me. Peoples schedules are sure to be off, much less mostly everyone would be off work and wouldn't that increase the risk of getting seen or caught?

I feel like, if we're considering IDI, it eliminates a complete stranger doing this, even if he "stalked" the R's for weeks. Yet they've cleared everyone in the R's circle and we certainly have to eliminate anyone who was at the party they attended.

Who would that leave? It makes no sense.

I have always felt this was yet another piece of very strong circumstantial evidence of RDI.

If we believe in the Fariy Tale intruder then we must believe that, after entering the home without leaving a trace of having done so, said intruder was comfortable enough to stay in the house and compose the War and Peace of Ransom notes. This would have to indicate some assurance about habits and schedules of the residents. This might be possible if someone broke in on a regular weeknight. They could have potentially observed the family and learned their routines, comings, goings, bedtimes, etc.

Problem is, no ones routine on Christmas Day/Night is the same ad any other day. So how did the "Intruder" know when the Ramseys would be home? When they would go to bed? IF they would even come home?

Thing is a lot of people leave town over Christmas. How did the Intruder know that they wouldn't? How did intruder know they wouldn't have company? Many families do over the holidays. There could well have been extra kids bunking in with both JonBenet and Burke. It's certianly not uncommon that time of year.

Add to that, the fact that the Fairy Tale intruder's absence would be much more likely to be noted on Christmas. I have no idea what my Brother in Law is doing for dinner tonight, but if he didn't show up for Christmas dinner you can bet I would notice, as would the rest of the family.

It is just ludicrous to assume that an intruder would pick Christmas. Too many intagibles.

OTOH, Christmas can be very stressful within a family. Gone all day, kids tired and cranky, and no promise of sleeping in the next day because it's off again bright and early. Patsy is strung pretty tight in the best of times and then JonBenet wets the bed again. Or she discovers both her children doing something very disturbing.

You've stated very concisely why an intruder--especially one with the intent to kidnap--wouldn't strike on christmas night. Doesn't make any sense. Especially if the argument incorporates the idea that the "intruder stayed and waited in the house for hours."

If it were an "insider" with that level of knowledge of their whereabouts, wouldn't someone have noticed them missing for all of those hours on the biggest holiday of the year?

the links I found didn't specifically address Christmas Eve/Day but reported that these crimes increase during the holiday season: charity scams, retail theft, purse snatching, vehicle break-in, home burglary

and domestic violence

I feel like, if we're considering IDI, it eliminates a complete stranger doing this, even if he "stalked" the R's for weeks. Yet they've cleared everyone in the R's circle and we certainly have to eliminate anyone who was at the party they attended.

Who would that leave? It makes no sense.

Ha! The Rs were so intent on throwing everyone they knew under the bus, they failed to consider what it would mean when they were the only ones left standing.

It's possibly one of their biggest mistakes IMO

But regardless, even if the perpetrator was someone known to the Rs, you cant ignore the TBs. Even if the Rs had nothing to do with JRBs actual death, i.e., not responsible for head bash or strangulation, the GJ still felt they were responsible for placing her in harms way, which resulted in her death, and then acted knowingly to cover it up.

The idea they would do that for someone outside their immediate family is ludicrous IMO.

And the DNA doesn't help either IMO, b/c of the big 'ol IF QUALIFIER on the lab report.

If it were an "insider" with that level of knowledge of their whereabouts, wouldn't someone have noticed them missing for all of those hours on the biggest holiday of the year?

Well if we have an intruder with no family or friends then I guess no one would miss them!

:scared:

the links I found didn't specifically address Christmas Eve/Day but reported that these crimes increase during the holiday season: charity scams, retail theft, purse snatching, vehicle break-in, home burglary

and domestic violence

It's not hard to make the leap that DV could also include child abuse.

Exactly. That is the second part of my reasoning for why Christmas makes absolutely no sense for an Intruder. Far more people are going to notice that "Uncle Jim" or whoever is not at the Hoiiday festivities.

Christmas night suggests one of two things to me.

1. Family

or

2. Someone who could not wait long to silence the victim.
If not family, it had to be a close acquaintance who had
access.

I have always thought it was a family member who killed her out of jealousy and anger...and another family member who wrote the note to protect said killer. I think some things escalated that night which caused a jealous family member to attack her and then the cover up began to protect the killer. That has just always been what I thought happened that night. I know a lot of people don't think that there would be anyway for that to have happened but I think that jealousy can cause people (even kids) to do out of this world crazy things.

To me Christmas is an easy answer.
It is a night most people are relaxed and at ease and not on guard. It is a time when a lot of people are out of the house visiting. It is a time when most people are lax with security and off guard.

Parties, people can be around and not be suspicious because people expect to see people they never see at any other time of the year. Extended family, Neighbors.

I think it was Christmas night in this case because someone was aware of their plans and knew it would be easy to get in and lay in wait.

My elderly, wealthy uncle woke up in his bed with a knife to his throat by a home intruder on Christmas eve at 4am. Guy was high on drugs, kidnapped my uncle and took his car, joy rode and dropped him off in the cold with only his pj's on. For what it is worth........

I do NOT think the JBR house was an intruder! I think it was a family affair. JMOO

Out of all the nights parents would be most likely to be HOME with their children, Christmas Night is #1.
NOT a good time for an intruder, one who knows the family or not, to kidnap a child.

NO night is a good night to sexually assault, cause a scream, bash, strangle and write a 3-page ransom note while the parents are home.

And yet children are taken from their homes at night or attacked and killed even with other people in the room. When a criminal wants to attack or offend not much stops them.

Forgive the autocorrect. Tapatalk has a mind of its own. :)

My elderly, wealthy uncle woke up in his bed with a knife to his throat by a home intruder on Christmas eve at 4am. Guy was high on drugs, kidnapped my uncle and took his car, joy rode and dropped him off in the cold with only his pj's on. For what it is worth........

I do NOT think the JBR house was an intruder! I think it was a family affair. JMOO

Oh god, so sorry that your family had to deal with such a situation!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back