635 users online (77 members and 558 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LA - Alexandria Shelton, 21, Lafayette, 13 April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by margarita25 View Post
    O/T, another woman's body found in Louisiana:
    http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/n...-park/7670425/
    Friday night at 10 my friend called me to girard park to tell me he over heard two men talking about taking me for a ride and getting rid of me bc they were on meth and thought I was a cop. Oh my dear God that should have been me...
    Wow what a wake up call in my life. I did go to the police when I found out this morning. My soul is ravaged I am devastated. I can't believe I of all people was so naive to put myself in that situation. Especially with my lifetime passion for the missing. I was almost abducted when I was six. I'm 28 now.

"Boy, you better straighten up before I take out your eyes and look at your brain to see what's wrong with you."

LA - Alexandria Shelton, 21, Girard Park-Lafayette, 13, April 2014

Shock, sadness and heartache were words used to describe the mood at Grambling State University on Monday after students and faculty learned of the death of Grambling senior Alexandria Shelton, whose body was found in a Lafayette park early Sunday.

The Lafayette Parish Coroner’s Office says Shelton, 21, drowned and they have ruled out homicide or foul play.

Lafayette police found the body of Shelton in a ditch in Girard Park after friends reported her missing Saturday night.
    http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

Shelton had a 3.54 cumulative GPA and was a member of the Lester Cole Honors College at Grambling State University. Her graduation was May 9.
    http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...nclick_check=1

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/n...-park/7694735/
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Such a strange incident...

Have been in Girard Park countless times (during daylight hours) and am imagining what could have happened. Also am wondering what evidence they have that has them convinced no foul play. Imagining skid marks on soft soil where she slipped and fell in or a sign that she hit her head on a concrete structure.

Wouldn't hang out in the park in the evening though, and the area a bit north of here is sketchy. Recall seeing a commenter in one of the local media sites mentioning a woman that they thought was Alex in the area. Tried to go back and locate it for a link but was unable to locate it. Wait--was in earlier article from the Advertiser here. Someone else commented in after another article apparently found it strange that she "threw her phone" before ending up in the water.

But could still be pure accident.

Is no one else posting? I figured lots of the posters from the Mickey Shunick threads would be here discussing this.

I have read lots on FB. A poster claiming to be in the know says her keys were in the ignition and one shoe was in her car. Makes the no foul play thing kinda hard to swallow.

I'm also wondering how if she did slip & fall into the drainage ditch - how far away from the drainage ditch was her cellphone? If it is true that her shoe was in her car with her keys than that's super sketchy. Something isn't adding up here....why was she there?
    Please excuse the spelling errors.

Girard Park is very busy during daylight hours with picnics, BBQs, basketball games, walkers and joggers. After dark, it's scary. I have the local newsfeed on my fb and nothing has been said about what brought Miss Shelton to the park. It's odd that her phone was not found with her. The park is adjacent to ULL campus and dorms. Steward St. is also near campus.
    RIP, Alexandria!

Leger said police were not yet releasing where Shelton’s phone was in relation to her body or other details about the investigation.
    http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

If foul play has been ruled out, then why so much secrecy?

Teche, thank you for your comment about the park after dark. I was wondering if there's much activity at night. Beside the obvious questions of why she was there, and why were the men there, how did they find her phone in the dark?
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

I don't believe it, not one word! That just doesn't add up at all!
    Please excuse the spelling errors.

The park is bordered by brand new apartments for college students and on the other side by expensive homes. The park has streets that meander through it. There is street lighting, covered pavilions, tennis courts, a large pond with ducks and geese and a large gully that kids roll down and a pipe that crosses it. The pipe is a couple of feet in diameter. Kids and college students try to walk it (for a challenge). After dark college students do 'meet up' to party.

People are in the park at all hours. Some jogging, some getting high, some meeting anonymous Craigslist hookups in the nasty bathrooms.

I too wonder why she was there. It's bee n said she planned to meet her friends on Stewart St. Maybe they lived in the Quarters apartments? Wonder why she would stop at the park. But then again she may not have purposely gone there. Somehow she did end up there.

KATC did a bang up job blaming her... glad to see enough people rallied together and took a stand against that, and glad to see they issued an apology. But some things, once put out there, just can't be unsaid. I can't help but feel that the attitude of the media and law enforcement reflects on the quick dismissal of foul play. No, we (the public), are not entitled to all the details. But I hope her family is provided with a decent enough explanation of events leading to her death. If it was my daughter, I'd want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Catchy kitty View Post
    Friday night at 10 my friend called me to girard park to tell me he over heard two men talking about taking me for a ride and getting rid of me bc they were on meth and thought I was a cop. Oh my dear God that should have been me...
    Wow what a wake up call in my life. I did go to the police when I found out this morning. My soul is ravaged I am devastated. I can't believe I of all people was so naive to put myself in that situation. Especially with my lifetime passion for the missing. I was almost abducted when I was six. I'm 28 now.
    Can you explain this a bit more, Catchy Kitty? Were you already in the park when your friend called you over? Or we're you somewhere else and he called you to come to the park?

<modsnip>
    Last edited by bessie; 04-16-2014 at 06:14 AM. Reason: post moved to this thread
    "All your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream—a dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person.” - True Detective

Help Save the Next Girl. http://helpsavethenextgirl.com

Help Find Shane Fell. Http://helpfindshanefell.com

I often run in Girard Park often (always during daylight hours). In fact, I ran there today. I have run in some of the best parks for running in the US - Central Park, NYC's Ft. Tryon Park, and Chicago's Millenium Park & Grant Park. But (comparatively little) Girard Park is my favorite. I like the split wood trail, its proximity to my work, and that most of the trail runs right along the streets around the park, so that drivers can see you (it feels safer). There's few parts along the running path that can't be seen from the road. Restrooms (even if gross; they'll do in an emergency) & water fountains are available along the trail without too much distance between them.

The park is clean and always full of people in daytime. I've never been at night. There are signs that say the park closes at dark, so I've never tried it running there at night. (I'd also be a little freaked out about the small part of the trail that goes through the center of the park and isn't seen from the surrounding streets.)

I am so sad something like this happened in a beautiful park I love and sadder for Alexandria's loved ones.

Today there were items (flowers, candles, etc) left in Alexandria's rememberance near where she was found. The spot where she was found isn't that far off from the street or parking lot. The ditch there is somewhat steep, though.

I assume toxicology reports are not back yet. I'm interested to see what they may reveal and if that may help us make sense of how she fell in and why she couldn't get out. If the tox report is clean, I'm really going to be at a loss for a reason as to how this happened, unless she has some history of becoming disoriented or something.
    Last edited by ktgirl; 04-15-2014 at 09:41 PM.
    "All your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream—a dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person.” - True Detective

Help Save the Next Girl. http://helpsavethenextgirl.com

Help Find Shane Fell. Http://helpfindshanefell.com

Oh, interesting. I guess Alexandria ' s friends and the police would have known if the phone - finders were meth heads?

I know Teche mentioned this, but I want to reiterate that this park is basically in the middle of a large college campus! I graduated from school here (it was University of Southwestern Louisiana and is now called University of Lousiana at Lafayette). The dean's house is on one edge of the park. My boyfriend's dorm was on the other side of the park. You drive down this street leaving the bars, often. I would definitely NOT call it a sketchy area of town, as the University Police for sure patrol right along it, and they don't have all that much to do!!! This is very strange and shocking to me!

I am in alaska now I hopped a plane monday morning. Ive finally stopped shaking and am exhausted now.
    im leaning more towards what happened to me and Alex was unrelated. I will clarify more in the morning when I have gotten some rest. 21 hours of traveling is rough especially with whats going on in my life at the moment.

"Boy, you better straighten up before I take out your eyes and look at your brain to see what's wrong with you."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast