Canada - Five slain at Brentwood house party, Calgary, 15 April 2014 *Insanity*

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Police+five+killed+house+party/9739998/story.html

"Police said they received reports of a stabbing around 1:20 a.m. in the 100 block of Butler Crescent N.W. Officers arrived to find three people dead. Two more were taken to hospital, where they succumbed to their injuries.

The victims include four men and a woman, reportedly all in their late teens or early 20s.

Read continuing, live coverage from the team of Calgary Herald reporters and photographers covering the fatal stabbings of five people in northwest Calgary's Brentwood neighbourhood."

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news...nce+university+house+party/9740052/story.html

"The University of Calgary posted a short statement about the deaths on its website saying counselling would be offered to anyone needing it.

"The University of Calgary is mourning the loss of five young people killed early this morning in Brentwood," the statement reads.

"The identities of the deceased have not yet been confirmed by Calgary Police Services. Once details are confirmed by Calgary Police Services, the university will provide a further statement."

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi took to Twitter to offeroffer condolences.

"Thoughts and prayers of all Calgarians are with the young people we lost this morning, their families, friends, and university community," the mayor said."

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/04/15/five-dead-in-stabbing-at-house-party-in-northwest-calgary

"Neighbour Doug Jones said he believed between three and five university students lived in the home, and he has never had any trouble with them.

"It's not a party house or anything," he said.

Jones said he was aware there was a small party at the home Monday night, but there was "no loud music or swearing or anything."

"Soon as it started cooling off and it started getting dark, they moved inside," he said.

"It was no different or no louder than when we get together for a barbecue."

The suspect is a son of a police officer...
Trying to figure out how to post the link...

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/04/15/5-dead-after-stabbing-at-calgary-university-house-party/

"Poole said all five appeared to be in their late teens or early 20s.

She said a man in his 20s was arrested with the help of the police canine unit about 40 minutes after the stabbings.

He was taken to hospital for treatment of dog bites.

There was no immediate word on charges against the suspect, or the possible motive".

I hope the dog was OK.

How very senseless and tragic for the families of those who were murdered.

I'm going to hazard a guess with the very little info reported so far. Drugs.

Jmo

I'm going to hazard a guess with the very little info reported so far. Drugs.

Jmo

....seems likely..the viciousness of stabbing to death five fellow students and leaving the scene... Speaks towards some type of drug fuelled rage..

This is so awful..
I have a son in uni who writes his last exam on Thursday..
Its a time of such promise and hope....
How absolutely senseless, tragic and horrifying for the victims, their families and friends,and society as a whole...
My thoughts and prayers to those who have lost a cherished family member/friend through this atrocious act... This makes my heart hurt so much...

"According to two sources with knowledge of the investigation, the 23-year-old suspect arrested shortly after the incident is the son of a veteran inspector with the Calgary Police Service. The recent U of C grad was planning to attend law school. "

I just made a very undignified sound when I read the bolded part. SMH

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ersity-end-of-classes-party-1.2610465?cmp=rss

I watched the presser and Calgary Police Chief Rick Hanson acknowledged that the suspect's father is a veteran of CPS (iirc, 33 years). Apparently his parents are devastated and co-operating fully with LE.

As next of kin have not all been notified, no names released. Can't imagine what parents of university students are going through right now if they haven't been able to contact their child.

I agree with the take that drugs will be a factor (I'd hazard a guess at meth due to the ability of one individual to kill 5 people). It was on CTV News that it doesn't appear to be alcohol related but drugs will be investigated.

Chief Hanson said charges of 1st degree murder will be laid this afternoon. A reporter stated that a weapon was brought to the party, but the weapon involved in the killings was obtained at the residence.

Cbc reports the suspect is Matthew de grood...I will try to find the link

Rather disturbing his last Facebook status posted at 7:38 (??) Pm last night. Doesn't look like too much activity on his Facebook and that status looks a little personal? Odd...

Rather disturbing his last Facebook status posted at 7:38 (??) Pm last night. Doesn't look like too much activity on his Facebook and that status looks a little personal? Odd...

Yeah. I was just looking at that. So, he posted that at 7:38 pm last night and then the killings took place around 1 am this morning, is that accurate?

Psychological break? Schizophrenia?

ETA-it is a song and album by the band MEGADETH. The album is called "The world needs a hero".

Megadeth Dread and the Fugitive Mind - YouTube

"Dread and the fugitive mind-the world needs a hero" as per his fb..

Maybe psychosis?

Horrific crime - anywhere, anytime. Sincere condolences to the families of these students - just beginning their lives with much to offer the world. I have feared for my daughter many times that this might happen at her uni.

My other fear is that some saw this coming (parents?) but stayed silent. There are 2 major problems here imo - LE ridiculing someone coming forward on a 'maybe' situation and that same someone fearing such ridicule.

There needs to be a reporting system - anonymous if needed. There has to be a solution somewhere - maybe we aren't looking hard enough.

This loss is so very, very sad for all.

I'm leaning more toward schizophrenia, rather than a sudden psychotic break. He's the optimal age for schizophrenia to set in and if he was hearing voices or getting paranoid, he might have been successfully hiding it or people were ignoring it because they didn't know what to do.

Sad all around.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave