Teen urinates in Portland reservoir

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Portland water supply to be flushed after teen urinates into reservoir

By Emma Lacey-Bordeaux, CNN

updated 7:34 AM EDT, Thu April 17, 2014

(CNN) -- The city of Portland, Oregon, has been forced to dump millions of gallons of drinking water. Why?

Because someone urinated into a water reservoir.

Surprising still, this isn't the first time this has happened.

The latest incident took place about 1 a.m. Wednesday. Cameras captured three teens near the Mount Tabor Reservoir No. 5. One of them approached the iron fence and apparently got close enough to relieve himself directly into the reservoir...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/17/us/oregon-teen-urinates-into-water-supply/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I admit, it doesn't sound very appetizing but what do they think birds are doing in there as they fly over and lighten their load.:rubberducky:

I admit, it doesn't sound very appetizing but what do they think birds are doing in there as they fly over and lighten their load.:rubberducky:

And if it's happened before, why wasn't the reservoir covered? Did he put the seat down when he finished?

What a ridiculous waste of 38 million gallons of water! Urine is sterile anyway. I don't understand why it's not better patrolled. If they can pee in it, they can throw something a lot more nefarious in it.

This is ridiculous. The urine would be so incredibly diluted by the millions of gallons that it wouldn't be a danger biologically (urine is typically sterile, anyways). And it wouldn't be detected by odor or color.

This was the talk by the water cooler at work today. :yow:

But yeah, who knows what else has made its way into the water!

:banghead: :scared: AMAZING! What ever happened to chlorination & in some areas, fluoridation to the H2O as it "hits the pipes". you know, enters the closed pipe system of portable drinking water!? :scared:

:truce: PLEASE give me a break, folks! The coliform count (if that's the measuring system that was used to determine "safety") in this body of water must have been astronomical.....and BTW: did anybody start the teenage offender on antibiotics 'cause he must have one heck of a UTI or perhaps at this point, is septic! :banghead::banghead:

:facepalm: The huge issue is SECURITY at the public "watering hole"! :facepalm: Oh yeah, that's "IMVHO"! :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

What a ridiculous waste of 38 million gallons of water! Urine is sterile anyway. I don't understand why it's not better patrolled. If they can pee in it, they can throw something a lot more nefarious in it.

This is ridiculous. The urine would be so incredibly diluted by the millions of gallons that it wouldn't be a danger biologically (urine is typically sterile, anyways). And it wouldn't be detected by odor or color.

Urine is only sterile for the person it belongs to.

And if it's happened before, why wasn't the reservoir covered? Did he put the seat down when he finished?

Covering the Mt. Tabor reservoir has been a hot topic for years now, actually since 9/11. Word is that peeps pee in it on purpose, i.e. those who are "pro" having that seat to put down :floorlaugh:

We natives have a difficult time with what necessities urban growth can bring. It is a lovely walk up there around the open reservoir; always has been... alas, times change and population boom brings those who don't seem to have a feel for the sanctity of places - or, shall I say "tend to get their sanct-ities confused" LOL IMO.

There are many dog owners up there, more and more all the time, and a nice walking path directly adjacent to said reservoir to mosey in the evening... dog owners who don't pick up after pooch seem to be a majority anymore as well. Poo next to open freshwater like that is disgusting, and cause various Problems/Ongoing Issues for especially the last 3 years.

I'd say another year and Mt. Tabor will be closed to the public altogether.

I have worked in microbiology safety and security (protecting the food supply)- and usually large bodies of water are not an issue with tampering because a person would have to dump barrels of stuff in it to cause any effect. Of course they should take measures to prevent it, but dumping the lake? geez. AND we are going through a drought now.

This was the talk by the water cooler at work today. :yow:

But yeah, who knows what else has made its way into the water!

Hopefully, the water cooler is Absopure or another spring water source :giggle:

Good thing animals never pee in it.

-_-

I'm still scratching my head.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if he was drunk. Really wasteful to be flushed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back