Cute Cat Videos More Important Than Missing/Murdered Women

craftybatchy

Verified Odd Duck
Reaction score
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/activist-heckles-laureen-harper-at-toronto-festival-for-online-cat-videos-1.1781974

Laureen Harper (wife of Canadian Prime Minister) spent the evening at a festival celebrating Cute Cat Videos of Youtube. When a member of the crowd asked her a question regarding Missing & Murdered Women in Canada, her response was perhaps one of the biggest public relations gaffes made by a spousal 'Head of State' I have EVER seen.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8029618
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130435

(Laureen Harper is Canada's equivalent to Michelle Obama).

It is easier and more pleasant to help cats than to look at the harsh reality of violence against women and children.People don't want to hear it or see it. I mention missing persons to friends and relatives and I get that eyes glazed look and they say," Oh I didn't hear about that" and they change the subject. Most people only care if it is their friend or relative that is missing. Except the wonderful people here at Websleuths.

Well, if she is anything like her husband, then she probably doesn't care about regular Canadians, especially Indigenous people.

I don't know anything about this situation in Canada, admittedly. With that said, I agree with her. How is asking these questions at an animal fundraiser going to make any kind of difference? I mean, there are people whose passion is saving animals, and just because there is a difference cause out there...does not invalidate their passion. It makes no sense in this function.

I care anytime a person is missing. (I am currently looking into this situation in Canada. We've had some things come up here and I have totally been out of the loop on current events.) I also love cats. It's okay for people to raise money for cats. That doesn't make them more important than people.

If someone wants to help the missing and murdered women in Canada, they need to organize and give an event for that purpose. This event was to help cats and should not have had someone interrupting to ask about another topic that had nothing to do with cats. Many causes need to be promoted and many kinds of people and animals need to be helped--but one at a time. There needs to be a special event for each type of purpose. Then that event needs to focus on just that purpose for the one night.

If someone wants to help the missing and murdered women in Canada, they need to organize and give an event for that purpose. This event was to help cats and should not have had someone interrupting to ask about another topic that had nothing to do with cats. Many causes need to be promoted and many kinds of people and animals need to be helped--but one at a time. There needs to be a special event for each type of purpose. Then that event needs to focus on just that purpose for the one night.

There have been. Many. Some of them in front of the Parliament buildings. Politicians ignore them. There has been a groundswell of public opinion asking the government to set a public inquiry into the issue of missing and murdered women. The government continually says it isn't necessary. It is a travesty and just one of many, many examples that show the current government cares not a wit about women or Indigenous peoples.

I applaud the person who asked the question. Why not shake things up? Why not ask the hard questions in public? If the goal was to raise awareness a bit, then she succeeded. If the PM's wife supported an issue publicly, maybe it would get the wheels moving.
All my opinion, of course.

You would do whatever you had to do if it was your loved one missing regardless if it was appropriate or not.JMO.

When a member of the crowd asked her a question regarding Missing & Murdered Women in Canada, her response was perhaps one of the biggest public relations gaffes made by a spousal 'Head of State' I have EVER seen.

I thought her response was PERFECTLY APPROPRIATE! The fund raiser was to help needy animals -- that protester was WAY out of line!

I am an animal lover, if people want me to support their causes they had best NOT mock or denigrate the causes that are closest to my heart. Mocking the plight of needy animals is cruel and heartless and I would have NO desire to help people that would do such a thing.

If anyone thinks the protestor was NOT belittling needy animals just think about how you would feel if someone showed up at a fund raiser for murdered/missing aboriginal women and interrupted it by asking why they weren't raising money for abused dogs too? That would be considered a HUGE insult and that insult works BOTH ways!

Laureen Harper needs to educate herself about Walking with our Sisters. She is the PM's wife and, in that capacity, she should have an interest in ALL Canadians, including Aboriginals.

http://walkingwithoursisters.ca/

KAH-MWK-09.jpg

http://www.highwayoftears.ca/

memory_banner.png

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicat...DocId=6469851&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

Promoting missing and murdered people should come first. Promoting cats should not even be an issue. I respectfully disagree with your comment. God bless our missing PEOPLE! The cats can fend for themselves if need be.

HUGE animal lover here myself, but I love mankind more....

You would do whatever you had to do if it was your loved one missing regardless if it was appropriate or not.JMO.

Doing something counter-productive and just plain mean and childish does not help the cause. I would bet you this fiasco and publicity has raised more money and support for cats than it did for the missing humans.

Human society ALWAYS greatly favors humans that is why there are expensive searches and investigations when crimes against humans are committed (and the GOVERNMENT pays for it), the government also pays to support, feed and cloth needy humans.

Animals have very little government protection and that is why PRIVATE charities are formed to help them when they are abused or need shelter as a result of neglect or cruelty inflicted by people. How people can say "take away what little charity they receive, even disrupt the privately organized events held to help them because somewhere on this planet a HUMAN is needy and more important" just shows how heartless humans can be.

Promoting missing and murdered people should come first. Promoting cats should not even be an issue. I respectfully disagree with your comment. God bless our missing PEOPLE! The cats can fend for themselves if need be.

Why does it have to be either or. The fact that other people want to raise money for cats, does NOT mean they don't care about people. It's entirely possible to raise money for animals, and not think they are more important for people. I take part in animal charities, that doesn't mean I would choose the life of a cat over a human. For goodness sakes...

I help cats. I've helped many cats. I won't stop helping them. They cannot just fend for themselves. I shouldn't have to feel bad for helping them because all the other important problems of the world haven't been solved yet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back