1204 users online (263 members and 941 guests)  

Websleuths News

VA - Amy Baker, 18, Springfield, 29 March 1989

I am looking for any information on a cold case in Virginia - Amy Baker? Has there ever been one on here for this individual? Amy was reported missing and found deceased in the late 80s in the Northern Va area. Her murder has never been solved and I was interested to see if anyone had ever done any "sleuthing" on it. Thank you in advance for any information you all may have regarding past posts.

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateEye006 View Post
    I am looking for any information on a cold case in Virginia - Amy Baker? Has there ever been one on here for this individual? Amy was reported missing and found deceased in the late 80s in the Northern Va area. Her murder has never been solved and I was interested to see if anyone had ever done any "sleuthing" on it. Thank you in advance for any information you all may have regarding past posts.
    Thanks for your post!

You or the mods may want to add the state/city/date she was known missing to the title, as well as possible tags for the thread. This helps in sleuthing out any new information and updates related to Amy's case.

Regards,

Satch

Here's a link that gives a summary about the case: http://longhaulterritorykiller.com/2.../10/amy-baker/

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/...e=fairfaxTimes

On March 29, 1989, Sue Baker had a premonition that something was wrong. It was 11 p.m. and her daughter Amy — who had just turned 18 less than two weeks earlier — had still not returned home. “It was Easter week and she was coming back from visiting my sister and some of her friends in Falls Church,” she said. “She left there at 8:30 p.m. and it was not that long a drive”...

Baker found out that her daughter’s car — a baby blue 1970 Volkswagen Beetle — had been discovered by the Virginia State Police with its flashers blinking sometime around 10 p.m. from the southbound side of Interstate 95 near Backlick Road in Springfield. It had been been considered abandoned and was subsequently towed away...

About 48 hours later — on Good Friday — Sue Baker and her sister-in-law Mary Bellett decided they would search the area themselves... “We were walking around inside the clover-leaf area of the exit ramp when I saw some bright colors among all the brown leaves and twigs,” said Bellett. “I saw blue and white — and then I saw Amy. I saw her, but my brain didn’t register what I was seeing until Sue put her hand on my shoulder and screamed. That sort of brought me back to reality.”

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/po...article/102398

Amy Baker had been raped, strangled and left partially buried in a pile of leaves. Police continue to search for the person responsible for this gruesome killing...

Police were able to collect forensic evidence at the crime scene, which often helps revive an old investigation. But in this case, DNA testing has only exonerated a string of suspects from Virginia, Tennessee, New York and North Carolina.

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    A sad case indeed. It strikes me as a little odd that her car was designated as abandoned and towed away after only being there about an hour. Around here, police put a red sticker on cars found by the road and leave them there several days to give the owner time to return with a tow truck or whatever.

Alternatively, I wonder how thoroughly the gas station attendants were questioned. I think it could be possible that she walked back with a can of gas and was, along with the can of gasoline, "given a ride" by a "helpful" stranger when she found that her car had already been towed away.
    Last edited by STANDREID; 04-11-2015 at 03:59 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    A sad case indeed. It strikes me as a little odd that her car was designated as abandoned and towed away after only being there about an hour. Around here, police put a red sticker on cars found by the road and leave them there several days to give the owner time to return with a tow truck or whatever.

Alternatively, I wonder how thoroughly the gas station attendants were questioned. I think it could be possible that she walked back with a can of gas and was, along with the can of gasoline, "given a ride" by a "helpful" stranger when she found that her car had already been towed away.
    I stumbled on this case and I can't stop thinking I might know something. This is my first time ever posting to a site or about what happened to me. I lived in Stafford VA during the same time. In 1988 I was standing at my bus stop and a man passed by me twice then parked the next street over. He ran over to me and tried to hand me a bunch of change. He looked just.. Crazy eyed. I said no and started to back away and he lunged forward and picked me up and tried to drag me down the road to his vehicle. I new I was not going to live if he got me in there so I kicked and screamed and finally broke free... I ran to the neighbors and my older sister took me to the police station. I tried to file a report but the officer was more interested in flirting with his girlfriend and basically blew me off. I guess when I read they found change in her pocket, it made me think... Just maybe it is related. My husband says it would be reaching too far to think the two are related... Maybe so.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinadll View Post
    I guess when I read they found change in her pocket, it made me think... Just maybe it is related. My husband says it would be reaching too far to think the two are related... Maybe so.
    I don't think that is reaching too far at all. Stafford is not too far south from this exact spot. I grew up in West Springfield and I'm surprised she could be murdered right there on I-95 without someone seeing something. This area approaches the Keen Mill Road/Franconia/I-95 mixing bowl ramps and is one of the most traveled intersections in the U.S.