1083 users online (205 members and 878 guests)  

Websleuths News

Stanford doctors make bold diagnosis and treatment on girl misdiagnosed bipolar

13*year-old diagnosed as bipolar

http://www.mercurynews.com/health/ci...ce=most_viewed

Doctors diagnosed her with bipolar disorder, prescribed psychiatric drugs that didn't work and sent the San Jose family on a nightmarish odyssey through psych wards, group homes and isolation rooms.

Then, suddenly, more than 10 months into the Gallos' terrifying ordeal, a pair of Stanford University doctors told the family that Tessa wasn't bipolar at all. She was probably suffering from a tragically misdiagnosed condition that mimics mental illness in a way doctors are only starting to understand.
    IMO

Absolutely fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by hejlena View Post
    absolutely fascinating.
    indeed!!

Interesting. I wonder how many children who are diagnosed with bipolar or schizophrenia may actually have PANS or pediatric acute-onset neuropsychiatric syndrome.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    Interesting. I wonder how many children who are diagnosed with bipolar or schizophrenia may actually have PANS or pediatric acute-onset neuropsychiatric syndrome.
    I have the same question. My first thought was that some of the children I've worked with on the Autism spectrum may indeed have some form of this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hejlena View Post
    I have the same question. My first thought was that some of the children I've worked with on the Autism spectrum may indeed have some form of this as well.
    Possible as well.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Includes a story about parents from Scotland looking for help for their son. Sold-out symposium held in Burlingame, about 20 miles from Stanford.

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/c...ce=most_viewed

Nearly 200 parents of children with a complicated, mysterious brain illness called PANS gathered over the weekend to seek advice and support from each other as they navigate the disease, which triggers psychotic and compulsive behaviors.
    IMO

It's always tricky when a less-common disorder has symptoms close to that of a more-common one. Misdiagnosis of people with the rarer disorder is the inevitable result.
    Autism Memorial: Remembering Autistic Crime Victims

New information for the Autism Memorial is always appreciated.

Fascinating indeed.
    SwampMama

GUILTY!!!

Cyrus C. convicted of 2004 arson in Harvey, La. that killed 4 people, including his 19-month-old daughter, his teenage girlfriend, the girlfriend's mom and GF's young brother (age 11). He was acquitted in 2008 (state charges) in 2008 and found GUILTY (federal charges) in 2013

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...d_of_2004.html