Stanford doctors make bold diagnosis and treatment on girl misdiagnosed bipolar

SophieRose

Reaction score
13*year-old diagnosed as bipolar

http://www.mercurynews.com/health/c...ruggle-through-psych-wards?source=most_viewed

Doctors diagnosed her with bipolar disorder, prescribed psychiatric drugs that didn't work and sent the San Jose family on a nightmarish odyssey through psych wards, group homes and isolation rooms.

Then, suddenly, more than 10 months into the Gallos' terrifying ordeal, a pair of Stanford University doctors told the family that Tessa wasn't bipolar at all. She was probably suffering from a tragically misdiagnosed condition that mimics mental illness in a way doctors are only starting to understand.

Interesting. I wonder how many children who are diagnosed with bipolar or schizophrenia may actually have PANS or pediatric acute-onset neuropsychiatric syndrome.

Interesting. I wonder how many children who are diagnosed with bipolar or schizophrenia may actually have PANS or pediatric acute-onset neuropsychiatric syndrome.

I have the same question. My first thought was that some of the children I've worked with on the Autism spectrum may indeed have some form of this as well.

I have the same question. My first thought was that some of the children I've worked with on the Autism spectrum may indeed have some form of this as well.

Possible as well.

Includes a story about parents from Scotland looking for help for their son. Sold-out symposium held in Burlingame, about 20 miles from Stanford.

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/...iences-pans-pandas-disease?source=most_viewed

Nearly 200 parents of children with a complicated, mysterious brain illness called PANS gathered over the weekend to seek advice and support from each other as they navigate the disease, which triggers psychotic and compulsive behaviors.

It's always tricky when a less-common disorder has symptoms close to that of a more-common one. Misdiagnosis of people with the rarer disorder is the inevitable result.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back