1072 users online (236 members and 836 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    OT: I went to school with a guy who had lost an eye. He used to take his glass eye out and use it as an aggie when we played marbles.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

I'm not sure that a scar over the right eye and a missing left eye are mutually exclusive, but I would feel more confident if Mr. Harder had a description which included a missing left eye. I also notice that his pictures don't seem to indicate pale skin around the left eye like you would expect from someone who regularly wore a patch.

I can't find any other information or news reports about Franklin David Harder, and I don't know how to leverage genealogy sites. I will call and/or write to the Idaho contact on the flyer on Monday. That clearing house is labeled as reporting on physically/mentally disadvantaged people who are missing. There is no note of what qualified this MP for inclusion.

I don't know why the second picture I posted showed up as a link, so I'll try again.

showPhotograph.jpg
    Last edited by CallMeTres; 11-08-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Fixed middle name

Depending on how much time elapsed between when a missing person disappeared and when the UID was murdered, he could have lost the eye after he was reported missing. I don't know whether April for Harder, to September when Bishop says he picked the victim up in Idaho, is long enough for that, however.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

I heard back from a Detective in Idaho today. I gave him the information I had re: this MP and Mr. Harder. Though I got confused and gave him a different description of how I came to find Mr. Harder's name :/ I don't know if that really matters, though. He said that he will discuss this with the case worker in Idaho.

That's just a little gross, carbuff, lol.
    Where's Logan Tucker?

I was thinking the same thing. The victim very likely could have lost his eye after he was last seen, thus making this case very hard to solve. Or maybe he wasn't really missing an eye at all and just had injured himself and wore the patch just to make him look tough while hitchhiking across the states. Does an eye socket close up or "heal" after the eye is gone for awhile? Can the ME tell for certain that the eye was missing by examing the skull? Just thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by baraby1969 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. The victim very likely could have lost his eye after he was last seen, thus making this case very hard to solve. Or maybe he wasn't really missing an eye at all and just had injured himself and wore the patch just to make him look tough while hitchhiking across the states. Does an eye socket close up or "heal" after the eye is gone for awhile? Can the ME tell for certain that the eye was missing by examing the skull? Just thoughts.
    There was significant damage to the bones surrounding his left eye. And in addition, he had a marble in his pocket that he used as a prosthetic eye.

He told the killer that he lost his eye in a logging accident. He got his head caught in a choker cable

Bumping.
    Sumter County's Mystery Couple - Facebook page - Websleuths thread
    Arroyo Grande Jane Doe - Facebook page - Websleuths thread
    Buckskin Girl - Facebook page - Websleuths thread

I decided to complete the recon, rather than show him with the "Kilroy" pose. Of course, with no mandible, his chin and jawline are purely a guess, but I decided it was preferable to complete the image rather than show him like he is peeking over a wall.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12375
    Date last modified February 08, 2016

DNA Status: Sample available - Not yet submitted

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post

He told the killer that he lost his eye in a logging accident. He got his head caught in a choker cable
    I hope law enforcement checked with Oregon Worker's Compensation; also hope this sort of accident is rare!

Any newspaper headlines along the lines of "Local Logger Loses Eye to Choker Cable?"

This is an interesting one given his killer, Bishop, gave so much information about the victim. They must have been together for at least 2 or 3 days

I agree it might be worth following up on the some of the clues about the victim's past life - the logging accident and the car dealership. I just did a quick search and there are logging accidents listed but not as far back as the 1970's.

Where did the drivers licence end up, did Bishop take it? What did he remember about it, did he get the age of the man from it or did the man tell him he was 32?

Great recons, Carl, as always!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    I decided to complete the recon, rather than show him with the "Kilroy" pose. Of course, with no mandible, his chin and jawline are purely a guess, but I decided it was preferable to complete the image rather than show him like he is peeking over a wall.

Looks great

I noticed that Billy Marshall isn't on the rule out list, but he was mentioned earlier. I think he's a decent possibility!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2